Steam Content File Locked is an error you get when your Steam files can’t update themselves. One of the most effective ways to solve this problem is to uninstall Steam and delete all the content associated with it. However, before uninstalling, you can try a few simple solutions shared below.
What is the ‘Steam Content File Locked’ error after all?
When the Steam content file is locked, you cannot update or install games on your Steam. It’ll show you several error messages when you try updating or installing new game files into your Steam.
Some of the common error messages that you can get while updating, installing, or making any changes to the Steam files are:
- “Error While updating [game title] (read error/disk write error)”
- “While installing [game title] (read error/disk write error)”
- “Error while updating [game title] (content file lock/locked)”
Here are some issues you’ll face indirectly because of this ‘Steam Content File Locked’ error:
- When you’re playing the game, you can’t make any changes to it. So, you need to continue only one process at a time like either playing a game or make changes to the files of Steam.
- If you are running an antivirus program, you need to wait until the completion of the antivirus scan.
- In case, if your Steam files are corrupt, you cannot make any changes to it as the files stay locked or due to incorrect configuration.
- If the files are missing from your system, you simply can’t update the specific game files.
Other Examples of Errors related to Steam
Steam is a very popular game amongst gamers all around the web. The common errors related to steam are listed as under:
- Steam error code 80.
- Steam Download stopping issue.
- Steam client bootstrapper has stopped working.
- Steam Disk write error.
- Steam store not loading problem.
- Steam missing file privileges error.
Troubleshooting Tips to fix ‘Steam Content File Locked’ error
Try the below troubleshooting ideas before going for the full solution.
- Close the game and all the background windows. Once done, start updating or downloading new files into the Steam. We hope, this solves the issue.
- Restart your computer and check if this helps.
- Exclude your Steam files from the Antivirus scan. You can find that option in your antivirus settings.
- Disable the antivirus while updating or installing files into the Steam helps to get out of the Steam Content File Locked problem.
How To Fix Steam Content File Locked Issue?
If the troubleshooting doesn’t work, you’ll have to follow the below solution step by step to fix Content File Locked csgo and other steam files. It’ll vary from system to system. In case of doubt, reach out to us in the comments section. You’ll get support from one of our experts.
Find and Repair Corrupt Files
The very first step to fix this error is to find out the corrupted files and repair them. To fix the Steam Content File is Locked quickly download the entire files again. It’s the simplest hack to diagnose and crack any problem.
- First, you have to quit Steam and then navigate to your Steam directory. It can be located on the default path (C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam). Else you can navigate to a custom location chosen for the installation.
- Head to the folder ‘logs’ and open ‘txt’.
- Scroll down the text file and search for the recent errors.
- Now navigate to the root folder of the mod.
- Restart steam and jump to the download folder.
- Here Steam will be asking for an update for the game. Just update the required files and the error might have been fixed.
Run Scan & Exclude Steam Files from Scan
The first and foremost thing you should scan your system completely.
- Download and install Antivirus in your system. In case you have an antivirus, open it.
- Go to the complete system scan section and click on the scan button.
- Once the scan is done, remove the virus files from your system. Make sure you are not deleting the steam files. If some of the Steam files are having a virus, it’s better to go with complete un-installation and re-installation of Steam.
- If everything is fine. Go to the settings section of Antivirus and exclude Steam files from scanning.
- After completion, close all the windows and restart Steam. Now, try to update or download files to your steam. I hope, now you are not facing any more issues.
The Winsock catalog helps to get out of the Steam Content File Locked error. You need to follow the below steps to fix the issue.
- Click on the Windows button from the keyboard or click the start button.
- Search for command prompt, right-click, and choose run as administrator option.
- Now, type netsh winsock reset as shown in the figure and click on the enter button to execute the command.
- On successful execution of the command, you need to choose to restart your system.
- Try to do the changes that you trying before for Steam. Hope, you won’t get any more issue.
Relocate Steam Installation and Game Files
If the above fixes didn’t help you then relocate Steam Installation and Game files. I have explained this method into two parts. In the first part, we will try to relocate Steam and hope that it will launch and run as we expected. If you encounter an error during the launch then reinstall Steam. The entire process to reinstall Steam is listed below. Try to follow the steps carefully because any interruption during the copying process may corrupt the files hence you would have to revert to reinstalling the client once again.
- Navigate to your Steam client and then click settings.
- Select ‘Downloads’ and hit ‘Steam Library Folders’.
- Now click on ‘Add Library Folder’ and just select a new path where you want Steam to be stored.
- This will assign a future path for all the installations of Steam to take place. Now move back to the existing Steam files.
- Exit the Steam client.
- Navigate to your existing Steam directory (C: \Program Files \Steam).
- Delete all the existing files and folders other than SteamApps and UserData folders. Also, need not delete exe.
- Cut all the folders and paste them to the new directory you created recently.
- Launch Steam and log in again.
Still, if you encounter any issues while moving the steam folder, follow these steps:
- Close your Steam.
- Browse to the new location where you have relocated Steam.
- Relocate the ‘SteamApps’ folder from that directory to desktop.
- Uninstall Steam to remove old Steam settings from your system.
- Reinstall Steam to the initial location that you have selected.
- Move the SteamApps folder in the new Steam directory created. By doing this will copy all data related to your game content, your saved games, and settings.
- Launch Steam and enter your login credentials.
- Verify the integrity of Steam game files and hope you will enjoy it.
Run as Administrator
You have to run Steam as an administrator to fix Steam Update Content File Locked or related issues.
- You have to go to the steam icon, right-click, and choose run as administrator.
- To always open the Steam with administrator properties, you have to do some more changes.
- Right-click on the Steam icon, choose properties.
- Navigate to compatibility section and uptick the run as administrator option. And finally, click on the Apply and OK button.
- Now, open the Steam and do the work that got you the error. At this point, we hope you are not facing the issue.
You can identify the bad sectors in the hard drive on doing a Disc scan. It helps you to check the bad sectors on your hard drive.
- Go to Start and search for CMD.
- Right-click on it and choose run as administrator.
- On the command prompt, you have to type chkdsk c: /f and click on the enter button to execute the command.
- You have to enter the Y letter to confirm the scan.
- Now restart the system to start the disc scan.
- You can try the Steam updating or whatever the work that caused the error after completion of the disc scan. I hope, you are not facing the issue.
Wrapping It Up: Steam Content File Locked
Steam Content File is Locked is a common issue for the Steam users. Use our easy-to-follow instructions and let us know in the comments if it works for you. We’re always happy to solve your problems.
Wanna get some more Device Tricks? Follow our Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter to never miss an update.