Steam Content File Locked is a state that the files can’t update and unable to write on the hard disk. You can try many solutions to fix the issue. One of the most effective ways is to uninstall steam and the content related to it. Later, reinstall all from scratch to get out of the issue. However, before going for complete un-installation and reinstallation, you can try the simple solutions that we are given-below to understand Steam Update Content File Locked better.
We have clearly explained all the possible solutions below that can fix the Steam Download Content File Locked issue. What are you waiting for? Continue reading and try the solutions that will surely help you to fix Content File Locked csgo and other steam files.
- 1 What is Steam Content File Locked?
- 2 Wrapping It Up: Steam Content File Locked
What is Steam Content File Locked?
When the Steam content file is locked, you cannot update or install games on your steam. It shows variant error messages while updating or installing the new game file into Steam.
You can see some of the error messages that you can see while updating, installing, or making any changes to the steam files.
- “Error While updating [game title] (read error/disk write error)”
- “While installing [game title] (read error/disk write error)”
- “Error while updating [game title] (content file lock/locked)”
You need to know the causes of the issue before going to the solutions. It helps for a better understanding of the causes regarding the issue.
- When you are playing the game, you can’t make any changes to it. So, you need to continue only one process at a time like either playing game or making changes to the files of steam.
- If you are running an antivirus program, you need to wait until the completion of the antivirus scan.
- In case, if your steam files are corrupt, you cannot make any changes to it as the files stay locked or due to incorrect configuration.
- If the files are missing from your system, you may face the issue of unable to update that specific game files.
You have to try the below tips before going for the solutions to fix the issue with ease.
- You need to close the game and all the open windows related to steam. Later, start the update or downloading files into the steam. Hope, you will not face the issue.
- On closing and reopening the steam or restart of the computer helps to fix the issue.
- You have to exclude your steam files from the antivirus scan which you can find the option to exclude files.
- On disabling the antivirus also while updating or installing files into the Steam helps to get out of the Steam Content File Locked problem.
You need to continue to know more about the solutions of the Steam Update Content File Locked or Steam Download Content File Locked.
How To Fix Steam Content File Locked Issue
You can follow the below solutions one by one to fix the Steam Content File Locked as the solution varies from system to system. In case of doubt, you can contact us through the comment section. You will get the solution to the issue with a clear explanation from one of our experts.
Run Scan & Exclude Steam Files from Scan
The first and foremost thing you should scan your system completely.
- Download and install Antivirus in your system. In case you have an antivirus, open it.
- Go to the complete system scan section and click on the scan button.
- Once the scan is done, remove the virus files from your system. Make sure you are not deleting the steam files. If some of the Steam files are having a virus, it’s better to go with complete un-installation and re-installation of Steam.
- If everything is fine. Go to the settings section of Antivirus and exclude Steam files from scanning.
- After completion, close all the windows and restart Steam. Now, try to update or download files to your steam. Hope, now you are not facing any more issues.
The Winsock catalog helps to get out of the Steam Content File Locked error. You need to follow the below steps to fix the issue.
- Click on the Windows button from the keyboard or click the start button.
- Search for command prompt, right-click and choose run as administrator option.
- Now, type netsh winsock reset as shown in the figure and click on the enter button to execute the command.
- On successful execution of the command, you need to choose to restart your system.
- Try to do the changes that you trying before for Steam. Hope, you won’t get any more issue.
Run as Administrator
You have to run Steam as an administrator to fix Steam Update Content File Locked or related issue.
- You have to go to the steam icon, right-click, and choose run as administrator.
- To always open the Steam with administrator properties, you have to do some more changes.
- Right-click on the Steam icon, choose properties.
- Navigate to compatibility section and uptick the run as administrator option.
- Finally, click on the apply and OK button.
- Now, open the Steam and do the work that got you the error. At this point, we hope you are not facing the issue.
You can identify the bad sectors in the hard drive on doing disc scan. It helps you to check the bad sectors on your hard drive.
- Go to Start and search for CMD.
- Right-click on it and choose run as administrator.
- On the command prompt, you have to type chkdsk c: /f and click on the enter button to execute the command.
- You have to enter the Y letter to confirm the scan.
- Now restart the system to start the disc scan.
- You can try the Steam updating or whatever the work that caused the error after completion of the disc scan. Hope, you are not facing the issue.
Wrapping It Up: Steam Content File Locked
Steam Content File is Locked is the common issue for the steam users. You can fix the issue on following the above solution. Still, the problem persists or do you have any doubts? You can contact us through the comment section. We are always happy to assist you. Are you missing our post updates? You can follow our Instagram, Facebook, and other social media sites to get updates regarding posts.