In some of the instances, steam users face the problem of steam client bootstrapper is not responding error. Mainly steam client bootstrapper has stopped working issue when you try to login steam account. You can use the client and even can’t play games on the platform because of this error. Continue reading the article to know more about steam client bootstrapper and solutions to fix steam client bootstrapper is not responding issue.
- 1 What is Steam Client Bootstrapper
- 1.1 Solutions to Fix Steam Client Bootstrapper Has Stopped Working
- 1.1.1 1. Restart computer
- 1.1.2 2. Reconnect Internet to fix Steam Client Bootstrapper has stopped working
- 1.1.3 3. Disable Antivirus Program
- 1.1.4 4. Update Device Graphics Drivers to fix Steam Client Bootstrapper has stopped working
- 1.1.5 5. Clear Download Cache to fix Steam Client Bootstrapper has stopped working
- 1.1.6 6. Don’t Run Steam Client in Compatibility Mode
- 1.1.7 7. Run as Administrator
- 1.1.8 8. Disable VPN Programs to fix Steam Client Bootstrapper has stopped working
- 1.1 Solutions to Fix Steam Client Bootstrapper Has Stopped Working
- 2 Conclusion
What is Steam Client Bootstrapper
The steam client bootstrapper process uses your internet bandwidth to download updates. It is developed by Valve Corporation as the steam platform serves as a distribution channel for online game developers.
Solutions to Fix Steam Client Bootstrapper Has Stopped Working
Try the below solutions before uninstalling and re-installing steam application/software from your computer.
1. Restart computer
Sometimes, simple restarting of your computer will help to fix steam client bootstrapper is not responding issue. If your system is loaded with many open programs will cause the error as bootstrapper doesn’t have space to run it. So, just restart your computer and run only steam app to give it a better running experience without any error.
If you have sufficient memory in your system or the above solution didn’t work for your system. Move on the next solution to solve the issue.
2. Reconnect Internet to fix Steam Client Bootstrapper has stopped working
As the bootstrapper works with the internet the hurdles or slow internet is the cause of the error. To fix steam client Bootstrapper is not responding error, disconnect and reconnect the internet. Close all the windows open on your system and re-launch the steam app. Hope this solution works for users with internet issues.
3. Disable Antivirus Program
Most of the antivirus programs will hinder the files related to the steam client. Thus, the steam will come out with an error because they need those files to run for the smooth running of the program. To avoid this situation disable antivirus for the time being till the use of steam. In some of the antivirus software, you will have an option of adding them to trusted ones or add to an exceptional list. Any of the above operations will surely sort out the issue of steam client bootstrapper is not responding. After applying the required operation close all the windows and re-launch steam and check whether the issue if fixed or not.
4. Update Device Graphics Drivers to fix Steam Client Bootstrapper has stopped working
Out of dated graphics drivers may also cause the error to fix this update the drivers and it may fix the issue.
- Go to the device manager from the Windows logo search bar.
- On the new window, directly go to display adapters.
- Expand display adapters, right-click on the graphics driver and select update driver software option.
- It will take some time to update driver, after successful completion of update restart your computer.
- After restarting launch steam and check either the issue is resolved or not. If the problem still persists move to next solution.
5. Clear Download Cache to fix Steam Client Bootstrapper has stopped working
The update files and download files data accumulate and make overload on Steam client. As a result, Steam client bootstrapper is not responding error occurs. Clearing download cache will help to fix the issue.
- Launch steam app
- Go to settings available on the topmost left corner of the steam app.
- Click on the Steam and from the drop-down list select settings as shown in the figure.
- On the next screen from the left panel, select downloads.
- Click on the clear download cache as shown in the figure.
- You have wait till the process completes.
- After completion of clearing cache steam will ask for your login credential. Enter the details and now steam should start properly without any error.
6. Don’t Run Steam Client in Compatibility Mode
Due to compatibility issues, your system may come up with issue steam client bootstrapper is not responding. In some of the cases, changing compatibility mode will help to fix the error.
- Open computer icon present on your screen or from the Windows logo button.
- Go to the drive you installed the Steam or by default it saves in c:\Program Files (X86) \ Steam\
- Right-click steam or steam.exe whichever is present inside the folder and from the drop-down menu select properties.
- Click on the compatibility tab and uncheck the box run this program in compatibility mode option.
- Finally, click on the apply and ok button.
- Now, launch the steam app and hope that the error vanishes.
Note: If you still face the steam client bootstrapper is not responding error continue with the below solutions.
7. Run as Administrator
Some software needs two permissions to read and write, especially steam requires it to work well. Hence, in this case, steam is not having specific authorities to launch bootstrapper and it has an error. To fix this error, run steam as administrator.
- Go to the folder in computer c: \ Program Files (X86) \ Steam.
- On the window, go to steam.exe right-click on it and from the drop-down options select run as administrator option.
- This will launch steam with all the required permissions to work without causing any errors if the problem is with administrative permissions. Finally, it starts as expected.
8. Disable VPN Programs to fix Steam Client Bootstrapper has stopped working
Most of the VPN programs are incompatible with steam. You can disable VPN programs or uninstall them temporarily. Disabling VPN is the simplest rather than uninstalling them.
- Press Windows + R button on the keyboard and type cmd.
- The command prompt window will open.
- Type netsh winsock reset catalog and hit enter.
- The executed command is successful only if you get a message successfully reset the winsock catalog.
- After getting that message to restart your computer so that all the changes will apply to your computer effectively.
- Launch steam on right-click from drop down options as run as administrator. Hope this solution helps to fix the error.
The above article on how to Steam Client Bootstrapper is not responding issue helped you to solve the same issue in your system. Are you still having doubts, suggestions, or any more solutions that worked out for you? Write to us in the comment section and we will get back to you as soon as possible. If you feel this article helpful please like, share and follow our facebook page and keep visiting our website for such tutorials and guides.
Also Read: How to Fix Steam Disk Write Error?