Hey folks, Are you facing the issue “Steam not opening”? In some of the instances, steam users experiencing the problem of Internet bandwidth. Basically, the entire Internet bandwidth may be used by the Steam Client Bootstrapper process to download updates. Steam client bootstrapper has stopped working or Steam not responding issue occurs when you try to login steam account. Even you can use the client but can’t play games on the platform because of this error. Continue reading the article to know more about steam bootstrapper and solutions to fix steam client bootstrapper is not responding issue.
What is Steam Client Bootstrapper?
This is the process that Steam uses to download and coordinate for updates and missing files. It automatically connects to Steam’s servers and checks the current version. After this, it downloads and installs the latest version or missing files available.
The steam bootstrapper client process uses your internet bandwidth to download updates. It is developed by Valve Corporation as the steam platform serves as a distribution channel for online game developers.
Also read: Steam Disk Write Error.
Is the Steam Client Bootstrapper process Good or Bad?
This process is good as well as bad for the system. It has an inbuilt download mechanism that will use every bit of bandwidth available on your network to download. This is a good thing because it will make the game faster and gives the users better and efficient performance.
Besides this is also bad because it will cause every other device and process to have network issues. When all your download bandwidth is in use, the packets start dropping and caused the other things to slower and halted sometime. So online multiplayer games aren’t going to work really well.
Can I stop this Process?
As we have discussed earlier it is good as well as a bad process for your system. You can end the task, but it will come back and start downloading again. So if steam is using the high CPU or network usage then you can follow the subsequent solutions to fix the issue.
How to fix Steam not responding Error?
Try the below solutions before uninstalling and re-installing steam application/software from your computer.
Sometimes, simply restarting your computer will help to fix steam client bootstrapper is not responding issue. If your system is loaded with many open programs will cause the Steam not responding error as the bootstrapper doesn’t have space to run it. So, just restart your computer and run only the steam app to give it a better running experience without any error.
If you have sufficient memory in your system or the above solution didn’t work for your system. Move on to the next solution to solve the Steam Client Bootstrapper has stopped working issue.
As the bootstrapper works with the internet the hurdles or slow internet is the cause behind the Steam not opening error. To fix steam client Bootstrapper is not responding error, disconnect and reconnect the internet.
Close all the windows open on your system and re-open steam client. Hope this solution works for users with internet issues.
Disable Antivirus Program
Most of the antivirus programs will hinder the files related to the steam app. Thus, the steam will come out with steam not responding error because they need those files to run for the smooth running of the program. To avoid this situation disable antivirus temporarily till using the steam.
In some of the antivirus software, you will have the option of adding them to trusted ones or add to an exceptional list. Any of the above operations will surely sort out the issue of steam bootstrapper is not responding. After applying the required operation close all the windows and re-launch steam and check whether steam is opening or not.
Update Device Graphics Drivers
Outdated graphics drivers may also cause the error steam not opening. Make sure to update the drivers to fix Steam Client Bootstrapper has stopped working error:
- Go to the Device Manager from the Windows logo search bar.
- On the new window, directly go to display adapters. And expand Display adapters, right-click on the graphics driver, and select update driver software option.
- It will take some time to update drivers. And once it is successfully completed then restart your computer.
- After restarting the computer just open the steam client and check that steam not responding issue is resolved or not.
If the problem still persists move to the next solution.
Clear Download Cache
The update files and download files data accumulate and make overload on Steam client. As a result, Steam client bootstrapper is not responding error occurs. Clearing the download cache will help to fix the steam not opening issue.
- Launch the steam app.
- Click on the Steam and from the drop-down list select settings as shown in the figure.
- On the next screen from the left panel, select downloads. And click on the clear download cache as shown in the figure.
- You have to wait until the process completes.
- After completion of clearing the cache steam will ask for your login credential. Enter the details and now steam should start properly without any error.
Don’t Run Steam Client in Compatibility Mode
Due to compatibility issues, your system may come up with an issue steam client bootstrapper is not responding. In some of the cases, changing compatibility mode will help to fix the steam not opening error.
- Open the computer icon present on your screen or from the Windows logo button and go to the drive you installed the Steam. By default, it saves in c:\Program Files (X86) \ Steam\
- Right-click steam or steam.exe whichever is present inside the folder and from the drop-down menu select properties.
- Click on the compatibility tab and uncheck the box of run this program in compatibility mode option. And finally, click on the Apply and OK button.
- Now, launch the steam app and hope that the error vanishes.
If you are still facing the steam client bootstrapper is not responding error continue with the below solutions.
Run as Administrator
Some software needs two permissions to read and write, especially steam requires it to work well. Hence, in this case, steam is not having specific authorities to launch bootstrapper and it has an error. To fix the steam not opening error, run steam as administrator.
- Go to the steam folder in computer c:\Program Files(X86)\Steam.
- On the window, go to steam.exe, right-click on it, and from the drop-down options select run as administrator option.
- This will launch steam with all the required permissions to work without causing any errors if the problem is with administrative permissions. Finally, it starts as expected.
Disable VPN Programs
Most of the VPN programs are incompatible with steam. You can disable VPN programs or uninstall them temporarily. Disabling a VPN is simple rather than uninstalling them.
- Press the Windows+R button on the keyboard and type cmd.
- The command prompt window will open. Type netsh winsock reset catalog and hit Enter.
- The executed command is successful only if you get a message successfully reset the Winsock catalog on the black screen.
- After getting that message to restart your computer so that all the changes will apply to your computer effectively.
- Now, launch the steam app by choosing to run as administrator followed by the right-click option in the search result.
We hope this solution helps to fix the steam not responding error.
The above article on how to Steam Client Bootstrapper is not responding issue helped you to solve steam not opening issue in your system. Are you still having doubts, suggestions, or any more solutions that worked out for you? Write to us in the comment section and we will get back to you as soon as possible. If you feel this article helpful please like, share, and follow our Facebook page and feel free to visit our website for such tutorials and guides.
Also Read: How to Fix Steam Disk Write Error?
Leave a Reply