In some of the instances, steam users experiencing the problem of Internet bandwidth. Basically, the entire Internet bandwidth may be used by the Steam Client Bootstrapper process to download updates. Mainly steam client bootstrapper has stopped working issue occurs when you try to login steam account. Even you can use the client but can’t play games on the platform because of this error. Continue reading the article to know more about steam client bootstrapper and solutions to fix steam client bootstrapper is not responding issue.
What is Steam Client Bootstrapper?
The Steam Client Bootstrapper process is the process that Steam uses to download and coordinate for updates and missing files. It automatically connects to Steam’s servers and checks the current version. After this, it downloads and installs the latest version or missing files available.
The steam client bootstrapper process uses your internet bandwidth to download updates. It is developed by Valve Corporation as the steam platform serves as a distribution channel for online game developers.
Is the Steam Client Bootstrapper process Good or Bad?
This process is good as well as bad for the system. It has an inbuilt download mechanism that will use every bit of bandwidth available on your network to download. This is a good thing because it will make the game faster and gives the users better and efficient performance.
Besides this is also bad because it will cause every other device and process to have network issues. When all your download bandwidth is in use, the packets start dropping and caused the other things to slower and halted sometime. So online multiplayer games aren’t going to work really well.
Can I stop the Steam Client Bootstrapper Process?
As we have discussed earlier it is good as well as bad processes for your system. You can end the task, but it will come back and start downloading again. So if it is using the high CPU or network usage then you can follow the below solutions to fix the issue.
How to Fix Steam Client Bootstrapper Has Stopped Working?
Try the below solutions before uninstalling and re-installing steam application/software from your computer.
Sometimes, simply restarting your computer will help to fix steam client bootstrapper is not responding issue. If your system is loaded with many open programs will cause the error as bootstrapper doesn’t have space to run it. So, just restart your computer and run only the steam app to give it a better running experience without any error.
If you have sufficient memory in your system or the above solution didn’t work for your system. Move on to the next solution to solve the issue.
As the bootstrapper works with the internet the hurdles or slow internet is the cause of the error. To fix steam client Bootstrapper is not responding error, disconnect and reconnect the internet.
Close all the windows open on your system and re-launch the steam app. Hope this solution works for users with internet issues.
Disable Antivirus Program
Most of the antivirus programs will hinder the files related to the steam client. Thus, the steam will come out with an error because they need those files to run for the smooth running of the program. To avoid this situation disable antivirus for the time being till the use of steam.
In some of the antivirus software, you will have the option of adding them to trusted ones or add to an exceptional list. Any of the above operations will surely sort out the issue of steam client bootstrapper is not responding. After applying the required operation close all the windows and re-launch steam and check whether the issue is fixed or not.
Update Device Graphics Drivers
Out of dated graphics drivers may also cause the error to fix this update the drivers and it may fix the issue.
- Go to the device manager from the Windows logo search bar.
- On the new window, directly go to display adapters. And expand Display adapters, right-click on the graphics driver and select update driver software option.
- It will take some time to update drivers after the successful completion of updates restart your computer.
- After restarting launch steam and check either the issue is resolved or not.
If the problem still persists move to the next solution.
Clear Download Cache
The update files and download files data accumulate and make overload on Steam client. As a result, Steam client bootstrapper is not responding error occurs. Clearing download cache will help to fix the issue.
- Launch steam app.
- Click on the Steam and from the drop-down list select settings as shown in the figure.
- On the next screen from the left panel, select downloads. And click on the clear download cache as shown in the figure.
- You have to wait until the process completes.
- After completion of clearing cache steam will ask for your login credential. Enter the details and now steam should start properly without any error.
Don’t Run Steam Client in Compatibility Mode
Due to compatibility issues, your system may come up with issue steam client bootstrapper is not responding. In some of the cases, changing compatibility mode will help to fix the error.
- Open the computer icon present on your screen or from the Windows logo button and go to the drive you installed the Steam. By default, it saves in c:\Program Files (X86) \ Steam\
- Right-click steam or steam.exe whichever is present inside the folder and from the drop-down menu select properties.
- Click on the compatibility tab and uncheck the box of run this program in compatibility mode option. And finally, click on the Apply and OK button.
- Now, launch the steam app and hope that the error vanishes.
Note: If you still face the steam client bootstrapper is not responding error continue with the below solutions.
Run as Administrator
Some software needs two permissions to read and write, especially steam requires it to work well. Hence, in this case, steam is not having specific authorities to launch bootstrapper and it has an error. To fix this error, run steam as administrator.
- Go to the folder in computer c:\Program Files(X86)\Steam.
- On the window, go to steam.exe right-click on it and from the drop-down options select run as administrator option.
- This will launch steam with all the required permissions to work without causing any errors if the problem is with administrative permissions. Finally, it starts as expected.
Disable VPN Programs
Most of the VPN programs are incompatible with steam. You can disable VPN programs or uninstall them temporarily. Disabling VPN is the simplest rather than uninstalling them.
- Press the Windows+R button on the keyboard and type cmd.
- The command prompt window will open. Here, you will have to type netsh winsock reset catalog and hit enter.
- The executed command is successful only if you get a message successfully reset the Winsock catalog on the black screen.
- After getting that message to restart your computer so that all the changes will apply to your computer effectively.
- Now, launch the steam app by choosing to run as administrator followed by the right-click option in the search result.
We hope this solution helps to fix the error.
The above article on how to Steam Client Bootstrapper is not responding to issue helped you to solve the same issue in your system. Are you still having doubts, suggestions, or any more solutions that worked out for you? Write to us in the comment section and we will get back to you as soon as possible. If you feel this article helpful please like, share and follow our Facebook page and keep visiting our website for such tutorials and guides.
Also Read: How to Fix Steam Disk Write Error?