If you are getting NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID your connection is not private error for a particular website. Don’t worry we are here to help you out and to give possible solutions.
- 1 What is NET:: ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID?
- 2 How to fix Your Connection is not Private net::err_cert_authirity_invalid?
- 2.1 Reload Website or Page to fix net::err_cert_authority_invalid error
- 2.2 Restart your computer or router to fix NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID error
- 2.3 INCOGNITO Mode to fix NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID Error
- 2.4 Check SSL Certificate hasn’t expired to fix NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID error
- 2.5 How to proceed manually (Unsafe) to fix NET:: ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID Error
- 2.6 How to check and update your Computer’s Clock to fix the error- NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID
- 2.7 Clear Browser Cache and Cookies to fix NET:: ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID Error
- 2.8 How to Clear SSL State to fix NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID Error
- 2.9 How to change DNS SERVERS to fix NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID Error
- 2.10 How to fix NET:: ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID Error using Disable VPN and Antivirus Temporarily
- 2.11 How to Import & Export Certificate to fix net::err_cert_authority_invalid error
- 2.12 Update your Operating System to fix NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID error
- 3 Related Chrome Error – ERR_QUIC_PROTOCOL Error
- 4 Conclusion
What is NET:: ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID?
When you try to open a website or page in Google Chrome or in any other browser’s, before going for a secured connection browser checks for the status of the certificate authority of the SSL. According to the CAB forum rules, only their members are allowed to issue SSL. If the browser finds CA is the member of CAB forum, the browser will turn to secured connection else it will display error. To fix the Invalid certificate authority error the user must contact the website admin or should reinstall SSL certificate if the certificate is valid and still getting NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID error then follow the below solutions to fix this error.
Your connection is not private or not secure
The browser will throw your connection is not private error only related to sites that are running over HTTPS. When you visit a website your browser will send a request to the server where the site is hosted. The browser has to validate the certificate installed on the site to ensure it up to current privacy standards. If the browser finds the certificate isn’t valid, it will automatically try to prevent you from reaching the site.
In Google Chrome, if there is any problem in validating certificate then you will get an error message as your connection is not private.
The error code message will help you to find the exact issue. You can see some of the error codes in Google Chrome.
- NET:: ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID (error occurs when the certificate doesn’t match domain)
- NET:: ERR_CERTIFICATE_TRANSPARENCY_REQUIRED
- SSL CERTIFICATE ERROR
On Mozilla Firefox the error code will change slightly, you will see “your connection is not secure” instead of “your connection is not private”.
The below error codes will help to find the problem. The most common error codes in Mozilla Firefox.
How to fix Your Connection is not Private net::err_cert_authirity_invalid?
These are the practical and step by step solutions along with the images to fix the error NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID.
This is one of the easiest ways if you find the error just close the browser relaunching it. Now try to open the website or page again. This is because the website owner will be reissuing their SSL certificate and the error will get fixed.
Restart your computer or router to fix NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID error
It may be annoying to hear but sometimes this small technique also works to fix the error. Some time’s you may have many tabs and windows opened in your system due to this also error occurs. So rebooting your system may help you to sort out the issue. Before going for another solution trying this simple trick may help you to save much time.
Switch off the router and remove the cables if it is wired connection and re-fix the cable. If you are using wireless router switch it off and on the router. If the error is due to overburden on your system hopefully, this simple technique will fix the issue without trying other time taking solutions.
INCOGNITO Mode to fix NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID Error
If you want to check the website is working without clearing your browser cache. Here, the incognito mode will do that as they don’t save any browser cache and cookies.
- Go to the menu tab in your browser.
- On the list, you can find a new incognito window. Select it.
- Now enter the same website address in the URL bar. If the website opens here the problem is with your cache and cookies.
NOTE: Mozilla Firefox browser, incognito mode is referred to as new private window under menu options.
Check SSL Certificate hasn’t expired to fix NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID error
Expiring of SSL certificate happens sometimes without the knowledge of website owner.
Typically this happens due to the following reasons.
- If the website had not enabled auto–renew enabled with the domain registrar or SSL certificate provider.
- Even though auto-renew is enabled but payment fails. Because the website owner forgot to update their payment details.
- If the website owner uses a free let’s encrypt certificate which expires every 90 days.
NOTE: Checking the website sometime later may help to go to the website. As in the meanwhile, the website owner fixes the errors regarding certificate expiry.
How to check the SSL Certificate in Chrome
- Go to the address bar. Click on it.
- Click on the certificate.
- On the pop – up window, you can see valid from and to as shown in the image.
- If the certificate shows expiry date, come back after some time later. In meanwhile error can be fixed.
- If the certificate validation is not changing then try the solution of clear SSL state in this article. This helps you to get the website new certificate loaded into the browser and will open the page without any error.
How to proceed manually (Unsafe) to fix NET:: ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID Error
In some of the sites, you will get this error and you will have a manual option to proceed. If you believe that nothing will get encrypted, go to the website by clicking on the website proceeding link or button. The error means that someone is trying to fool you or steal info you send. So, you have to close the website immediately. There may be also a chance of compromised and malicious redirections when you open the website. If you are in a public place, don’t ever dare to bypass these types of site.
How to check and update your Computer’s Clock to fix the error- NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID
Another common reason for getting an error is due to your date and time settings in your clock. All the browsers will rely on your computer date and time to correctly sync up to verify the SSL certificate. This error usually happens with your new laptop or Wi-Fi for the first time.
Steps to update the date and time on your Windows computer.
- On the desktop screen, you can find date and time, right–click on it. You will find a set of options.
- Select adjust time and date option from the list.
- You will get a pop – up window, click on change date and time button.
- Here, on the new pop – up window. Change date and time according to the present.
- After successful completion, click on ok button.
- You can also change the time zone, click on change time zone.
- A new pop – up window, show the time zone. Click on down arrow button to change the time zone. Click on the ok button.
- Finally, click on the ok button on the main window.
- Successful you have changed the time and date.
- Try to relaunch your browser. Hope this solution fixes the error.
Steps to update date and time on MAC
- Click on the Apple menu.
- On the pop – up window, choose system preferences.
- Select the date & time. If the padlock appears at the bottom of the window, click on it. Enter your administrator username and password.
- Choose set date & time automatically. This will update according to Apple’s NTP servers.
- Go to the time zone tab. if it doesn’t determine your location automatically simply uncheck it so manually set it. You can select time zone region and city on the map.
- Close all the windows and relaunch chrome browser. Now retry to enter the website.
Clear Browser Cache and Cookies to fix NET:: ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID Error
Clearing browsing cache and cookies may sometimes fix the error. Below are the detailed steps to clear browsing history.
- Go to the browser menu.
- From the drop-down menu, click Settings.
- Now at the bottom of the window, select the advanced option.
- On the expanded window, under privacy & security. Go to clear browsing data option.
- Pop – up window click drop-down menu and select all time. Uptick the browser cache and cookies option and finally click on clear data button.
- Now, close the browser and relaunch it. Now try to go to the website. Hope it will clear the error.
How to Clear SSL State to fix NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID Error
If the things get out of sync then clearing SSL state through chrome will help you to fix the error.
Steps to clear SSL state on your computer.
- Go to menu settings of the browser as shown in the figure.
- Select setting from the drop-down options.
- On the opened window, click on advanced settings option.
- Under the system category, navigate to open proxy settings.
- When you pop–up button then you will get a pop–up window of internet properties.
- Select the content tab from the menu bar of internet properties.
- Click on Clear SSL state under certificates option and later click on ok button.
- Close all the tabs and relaunch chrome. This may fix the error.
How to change DNS SERVERS to fix NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID Error
Changing DNS servers will hopefully fix the error. Removing DNS servers and defaulting back to your ISP’s DNS servers can fix the error. Google and cloudfare may not 100% perfect, so you are facing the issue every now and then.
- Click on the start menu.
- Go to the control panel. For Windows 10 select settings.
- Select network and internet option.
- Navigate to network and sharing center.
- Choose change adapter settings.
- Go to the currently active network and right-click to choose the properties option.
- Under the networking menu, this connection uses the following item select internet protocol version 4 (TCP / IPv4). Click on the properties option.
- Choose Obtain an IP address automatically and obtain DNS server address automatically. Finally, click on the ok button.
- Close all the windows, restart chrome and this may fix the error. If the settings are already there then go to other solutions.
How to fix NET:: ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID Error using Disable VPN and Antivirus Temporarily
Some of the times VPNs and antivirus software may have conflicts or will override your network settings. It will also block certain SSL certificates or connections. So turn off VPN and antivirus software which may help you to fix the error.
This is nothing but you can make the site certificate valid to open in your browser. You have to proceed with this process if you trust the website otherwise skip this solution and continue with the other solutions.
First, you have to acquire the certificate of the MITM (Man In – The Middle Attack).
- Initially go to chrome window and open the website. Here near the website address bar, you will find HTTPS with a cross mark in red color as a danger to open the site. Or you will get not secure, parallel to the website address bar. The security warning resemblance may be anything if you are facing the error of your connection is not private. That resembles that the website is not secure to open.
- For example, one of the websites is taken to explain the process.
- If you trust the website, continue with this step. The way of showing lock may vary for different websites. Click on the https lock or not secure option as shown in the figure. You will get a set of options.
- Click on certificate option from the given expanded list.
- You will now get a pop – up window, on which go to the menu bar and click on the Details tab.
- Click on copy to file option present on the bottom right corner of the window.
- The new window of certificate export wizard will pop – up to export the certificate of the webpage or site. Click on next button.
- Now you will get a window that will show how to save the file. Select the option according to your requirement. If the site is localhost go with PKCS # 7 else go with other two options.
DER encoded binary X.509 (.CER): The distinguished encoding rules (DER) format supports the storage of a single certificate. This storage does not support private key or certification path.
Base – 64 encoded X.509 (.CER): The base 64 format supports storage of a single certificate. This format does not support the storage of a private key or certificate path.
Cryptographic message syntax standard – PKCS # 7 CERTIFICATES (.P7B): This format supports storage of certificates in the certification path.
- NOTE: Select third option cryptographic message and uptick include all certificates option.
- After selecting the file type, click on Next button.
- You will see a pop–up window to enter a file name. Select browse option and select desktop; enter the file name and Click on next. You can save the file anywhere you want to but remember the location as you have to import the file.
- On the next pop – up window. Click on the finish button.
- Exporting file is successfully completed. Now we will look into the process of importing the file.
- Go to the menu option of your browser.
- From the drop-down list go to settings.
- Scroll down to the advanced option on the window.
- You can see manage certificates under privacy and security category. You can see a pop–up button parallel to it, click on it.
- A pop – up window opens, under the personal menu. Click on the import option.
- A pop – up window opens. Click on next button.
- On the next window, click on the browse button. Select the file from the location where you exported.
- After selection of the file, click on the Next button.
- You can go with the option to automatically select the certificate store based on the type of certificate. After selecting the category click on the next button.
- On the next screen, tap on the finish button.
- You will get a pop – up with message import was successful. Click on the ok button.
- Now you can see the certificate of the website any of the categories present in the manage certificates option, according to your selection.
- Now close all the windows and chrome. Restart your computer.
- After restart try whether the website is opening without any error. Mostly this solution will work out to open the website.
Update your Operating System to fix NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID error
If the operating system is older, the system falls out of date with newer technologies. Upgrading to a newer operating system such as Windows 10 for Windows users or the latest version of Mac OS x for Apple users. Make sure that your system is up to date on Windows, Mac or other operating systems.
Related Chrome Error – ERR_QUIC_PROTOCOL Error
Some of the above-given solutions also solve the issue. Now, we are going to discuss ERR_QUIC_PROTOCOL ERROR in detail and solutions for it. Among all the error codes from Google Chrome, the most common one is ERR_QUIC_PROTOCOL ERROR. You may also come up with error codes like site can’t be reached or this webpage is not available at the same time. When you see this error, your system is blocked from using the internet. QUIC is nothing but quick UDP interconnection is an experimental network protocol. The main purpose of it is to provide security protection equivalent to TLS / SSL but faster and quicker. This is specially designed for speeding up the user browsing experience and also improves online game graphics. The key features of QUIC are reduced connection establishment time, forward error connection, improved congestion control, and connection migration.
QUIC is an experimental protocol this feature is still tested and might be unstable. Finally, it could lead to situations like you cannot access websites and the error occurs. You may receive ERR_QUIC_PROTOCOL ERROR message while trying to access for a particular website. This error commonly occurs when trying to open web pages that are integrated with Google (such as Gmail or YouTube). Sometimes, it is also possible to occur while trying to access other websites.
If you are using an older version, some settings may appear a little different but the method will remain the same.
DISABLE QUIC PROTOCOL
One of the most common reasons for this error is related to QUIC, a protocol that helps to secure internet hurdles. If the problem occurs in the middle of the website information transfer then the error occurs.
Following are the steps to disable experimental QUIC protocol
- Open Google Chrome browser, start typing chrome://flags in the address bar and hit enter.
- Search for experimental QUIC protocol manually. Or you can click Ctrl + F buttons from the keyboard; type QUIC on the search bar on the top right corner box. Now, you can easily locate experimental QUIC protocol.
- Parallel to it, you can find a drop-down menu. From the drop-down menu list, select the disabled option.
- Now restart your browser to see whether the problem is fixed.
DISABLE BROWSER EXTENSIONS
Sometimes disabling experimental QUIC protocol will not fix the problem. If you have the same issue, you have to disable third-party extensions too. Disabling browser extensions mostly will fix the issue.
The following are the steps to disable browser extensions
- Open Google Chrome browser, type URL chrome://extensions in the address bar and hit enter.
- Check all the extensions you have, if you find any suspicious extension. Click on the remove button present inside the window of particular extension to remove it.
- After completion of deletions, restart your browser.
- Hopefully, NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID error will be fixed.
The above given are all the possible solutions to fix the NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID error. Did you stuck up at any point of step or solution? Mention your queries and doubts in the comment section. Do you have suggestions regarding our website and articles? Please write to us in the comment box. Do you want solutions for any of your computer, Mac and Android problems? Just visit our website or write to us in detail hopefully, we will get back to as soon as possible with possible solutions. If you feel this article helpful please like, share and follow our facebook page or keep visiting our website for such tutorials.