It’s annoying when you see the error message of NET::ERR_CERT_WEAK_SIGNATURE_ALGORITHM. But don’t worry. It’s a normal error and you can fix it by following a few steps. Before knowing the solutions, first, you need to know the reason behind this NET error.
- 1 What net::err_cert_weak_signature_algorithm error means?
- 1.1 Reason behind the Error NET::ERR_CERT_WEAK_SIGNATURE_ALGORITHM
- 1.2 Solutions to Fix net::err_cert_weak_signature_algorithm Error
- 1.2.1 #1. Try to open the URL on another device or browser
- 1.2.2 #2. Clear Browsing History & Cached Files
- 1.2.3 #3. Reset Your Network Configuration
- 1.2.4 #4. Clear the SSL Cache to Fix NET::ERR_CERT_WEAK_SIGNATURE_ALGORITHM Error
- 1.2.5 #5. Reinstall the Chrome Browser
- 1.2.6 #6. Disable the recently added extension
- 1.2.7 #7. Turn off your Firewall Settings
- 2 Conclusion
What net::err_cert_weak_signature_algorithm error means?
The above error means the SSL connection is unable to verify the SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) certificate of the website for which you are facing the issue.
Reason behind the Error NET::ERR_CERT_WEAK_SIGNATURE_ALGORITHM
- Incorrect date & time settings in your system
- Your laptop has met with an accident
- Some files are remained unsaved due to sudden power loss
- Your system is switched off and not in use for a long time
- The battery is giving the warning to replace it
- Anti-virus is blocking you to open a particular site
- Your internet service provider is not allowing you to open a specific site
- Internet hackers have been ejected some virus to steal your personal information
- The SSL certificate is not granted by an authorized SSL organization
- The SSL certificate is expired for the website
Solutions to Fix net::err_cert_weak_signature_algorithm Error
The best and effective solutions to fix the net::err_cert_weak_signature_algorithm error is listed as follows:
#1. Try to open the URL on another device or browser
For e.g., If you are opening a URL on the Chrome browser and it’s showing the Weak Signature Algorithm error, you can try to open it on other browsers such as Firefox, Opera or UC Browser. You should also try to open it on your Android or iPhone.
Case 1: If you can open the URL successfully at other places, it means there is some issue existing in your Chrome browser. And you need to delete the browsing history and cached file from that browser. Read the steps given under Solution 2 to clear the browsing history.
Case 2: If that URL is not opening on any other of your devices, you need to change your internet connectivity then retry it. It should be solved. If the problem still remains the same, you need to reset the Network Configuration by following the steps given under Solution 3.
#2. Clear Browsing History & Cached Files
- Open the Chrome browser and then press Ctrl+H to go to the browser history panel.
- Now click on clear browsing data.
Note: You can copy and paste this URL (chrome://settings/clearBrowserData) to directly open the browsing history panel in google chrome.
- Go to the Advanced tab
- Choose All time as a time range and then Check all the options given there. You can uncheck “Cookies and other site data” if you don’t want to be logged out from all logged-in sites. Finally, click on clear data to clear all the history and cached files from the browser.
#3. Reset Your Network Configuration
- Open Command Prompt by pressing Win+X+A keys together.
- Now type the below commands and process one by one to reset the network configuration
- ipconfig /flushdns
- now ipconfig /renew
- ipconfig /registerdns
- netsh int ip set dns
- netsh winsock reset
#4. Clear the SSL Cache to Fix NET::ERR_CERT_WEAK_SIGNATURE_ALGORITHM Error
SSL connection keeps a local copy to its server to process the data faster. There is a situation when SSL state block to connect with SSL connection and you need to clear it for opening a blocked site easily.
Follow the below process to clear the SSL cache files.
- Open the Internet Options by pressing Win+R key and then type inetcpl.cpl
- Now go to the Content tab in the opened window and then click on Clear SSL state which is given under the Certificates
- Now click on the OK button and then try again to open the same URL for which you were facing the problem. It will be opened easily.
#5. Reinstall the Chrome Browser
If the above solution is not working for you, you can fix the issue by uninstalling and then reinstalling the browser. Here, I have shared the process to uninstall and then reinstall the Chrome browser. If you are facing the issue with another browser, follow similar steps to resolve the issue of NET::ERR_CERT_WEAK_SIGNATURE_ALGORITHM.
How to uninstall the Chrome browser?
- Press Win+X and then P to open the Control Panel.
- Now click on Uninstall a program given below Programs.
- Now choose the browser which you want to uninstall and then right-click and select Uninstall to remove the browser from your computer.
How to reinstall the Chrome browser?
- Download the Google Chrome browser from its official website
- Now open the downloaded file location and then start installing the .exe file as a normal software installation process.
#6. Disable the recently added extension
If you noticed that you are unable to open a particular website just after installing a Chrome extension, you need to disable it. Follow the steps given below to disable an extension.
- Copy and paste this URL chrome://extensions/ in a new tab in your browser. It will land you to the extensions page.
- Now click on the blue button given with the extension to disable it. If you don’t need that extension now onwards, you can click on remove.
#7. Turn off your Firewall Settings
Sometimes, Windows Firewall blocks a few websites by marking them a spam URL. You need to cross-check the settings and disable it for opening the URL for which you are facing the issue.
How to turn off Windows Firewall?
- Open Control Panel by pressing Win+X+P keys together and then click on System and Security.
- In the next window, click on Windows Firewall.
- Now click on “Turn Windows Firewall on or off”.
- Select both the radio buttons given besides the “Turn off Windows Firewall (not recommended)” under Private & Public network settings and then click
I hope, you have successfully resolved the issue of NET::ERR CERT WEAK SIGNATURE ALGORITHM Error by following the solutions given above. We would love to know, which method helped you.
Stay connected to this website to get more updates about technical issues related to Operating Systems and Mobile Phones. Also, join us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to get notified about the upcoming blogs.