Steam is a gaming platform that offers action-packed games, adventurous games, and much more. In short, it is an ideal hub for gamers where they can find all types of games.
No doubt, Steam is an outstanding application but some users failed to access this platform effectively and the reason behind the same is an issue, i.e. ‘Steam missing file privileges’.
So, if you are on the same list, then don’t worry because the issue is common and with some quick solution, you can resolve it in a quick span of time.
But before heading further towards the solution section, let’s figure out what are the reasons behind the issue ‘Steam update missing file privileges’.
Once we will get through the reasons, then it will be easy for us to resolve an issue. After deep analysis, some key points related to this issue are listed below and your task is to grasp knowledge.
Why ‘Steam update missing file privileges’ is showing on my computer screen
This error usually arises when you try to install/update the Steam games. The reasons behind the issue of‘ steam file missing privileges’ may be the corrupt file system or lack of administrator control offered to the game.
How to fix the error ‘Steam Missing File Privileges’
There are a few advanced solutions to fix an issue and the same are listed beneath. Now, your job is to execute the solution one by one. When you accomplish the task then take a halt.
Restart your computer
Though it seems very easy to listen, however, it is the most effective solution to fix so many errors. Sometimes, just restarting your computer can fix your problem.
Usually, your system starts experiencing some technical errors that are invisible. While Steam is downloading or updating any game various processes are running in the background at the same time.
During this process, the software divides the data into small pieces of even 1MB and then When you update or download a game in steam, the software divides the data into small pieces of 1 MB and after that brings them together so that they can perform their roles correctly.
Doing this will avoid Steam to download corrupt files and also save some bandwidth.
Thus, restart your system and check for the error.
Disable igfxEm Module
Stopping igfxEm Module from the Task Manager will help you to resolve a steam update missing privileges issue. The process is simple and easy to execute, but for your convenience, the detailed steps are listed below.
- For Windows 10, right-click on the ‘Start’ menu and select ‘Task Manager’ from the list of applications.
- However, if you are not a Windows 10 user, then open the ‘Run’ box by pressing the ‘Window’ key and ‘R’ key together and then type ‘taskmgr’ in the box and after that click on the ‘OK’ button.
- Thereafter, a task manager window will appear on the screen and it will show the list of running applications, background services, and disabled applications too.
- Select ‘igfxEm Module from the list and click on the ‘End task’ button, located at the bottom-right of the page.
- After completing the job, close the window and then launch Steam. Hope, this time it will work.
Modify the download setting of Steam
Steam offers numerous regions to download the games so that the worldwide users can easily access this application. This is a great feature as the users can change the download region anytime when they feel the server at their region is overloaded.
Actually, an overloaded server is also one of the prime reasons behind the issue of‘ Steam missing file privileges’ and the solution is quite simple, i.e. Changing the download region this is a good trick to resolve an issue and the procedure for the same is quite simple.
Now, follow the steps listed below and get your issue resolved.
- Launch Steam on your computer.
- Now, click on the ‘Steam’ tab, located at the top-left of the page, and select ‘Settings’ from the drop-down menu.
- Thereafter, a new window will appear which will show the settings of Steam, click on ‘Downloads’ located at the left end of the panel and then move to the ‘Download Region’ to select the other region.
- After that click on the ‘OK’ button.
- Now, re-launch the Steam and check whether it is working or not.
Clear Download Cache
Clearing the temporary download cache is another easy fix to this error. To do so follow these steps:
- Boot up Steam and click on View option and select Settings.
- From the left pane click on Downloads.
- Now click on Clear Download Cache.
- Lastly, press OK to confirm.
- Launch install/update.
Run Steam as an Administrator
Steam needs to read and write features to run smoothly in the Operating System. However, if you have provided only the read feature, then it won’t be able to write the files and hence results in missing file privilege steam.
So, to avoid such a situation, you will have to provide the read-and-write features to Steam. The process is a bit simple and the same is as beneath.
- Open the path of Steam. However, if you have not changed the path, then by default it is located at the ‘Program Files’ followed by the ‘C’ drive.
- Then right-click on the setup and choose the Properties option.
- Click on the ‘Security’ tab and further click on the ‘Advanced’ tab located at the bottom of the page.
- Thereafter, a new window will open which will show the advanced security settings of steam. In the below image, you will find that we have provided full access to Steam.
- However, if you have not provided then select the first column and then click on the ‘Edit’ button.
- Again, a new window will feature on your display which will show ‘Permission Entry for Steam’. Move to the ‘Basic Permission’ section and then click on the entire checkbox. After completing the task, click on the ‘OK’ button.
- Now launch the game and this time, make sure to run it as an administrator.
Repair the Library Folder of the Steam
Sometimes, Library Folder gets corrupted and becomes the key player behind the ‘Steam update missing file privileges’. So to resolve an issue, you need to repair the Steam Library Folder and for your solace, the steps are as below.
- Start Steam.
- Now, click on the ‘Steam’ icon located at the top of the page and then select ‘Settings’ from the drop-down menu.
- On the settings page, you will get several options, including the ‘Steam Library Folder’ which is located at the top of the page, click on it.
- Thereafter, a pop-up will appear displaying a file and your job is to select that file, right-click on it and choose ‘Repair Library Folder’ from the drop-down menu.
- After the completion of the process, restart Steam and then try to update/install the game.
Verify the Game
If none of the above methods worked for you, you can try this method to check the game for any errors. To do so follow these steps:
- Open Steam and click on the Library button.
- Right-click on the game that is observing the error, and then clicks on Properties.
- Click on Local Files and then click on Verify the integrity of the game cache.
- Now the game cache checking process will start and will take some time to complete.
- Retry to open the game and update it if required.
Hopefully, the error must have been resolved.
Enable Safe Mode to Delete Steam “Downloading” Directory
If you are tired of this error then there are chances that the error is due to the install/update process being stuck in a loop. It is unable to progress due to a corrupt system file or bug. To fix this issue follow these steps:
- Right-click on the Windows Start menu button and then hold the shift key and click on Power, then restart.
- Click on the Troubleshoot option.
- Then choose Advanced options.
- Now, click on Startup Settings.
- Then choose to Restart.
- When your computer restarts, select the Enable Safe Mode option by pressing the F key.
- Your system will be in Safe Mode, then navigate to the Steam directory and enter the Downloading directory. Otherwise, you can directly access this location using the command prompt or manual (C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Steam\steamapps\downloading\).
- Delete all the contents or the specific file related to the particular game causing issues and then Restart Windows as usual.
- Now Boot up Steam and launch the install/update.
That’s it and you are all done. However, if steam missing file privileges still create an issue amid the installation of the game, then feel free to contact us. We will assist you with more advanced solutions and certainly will resolve the issue in a quick span of time.
Being a prominent tech support firm, we offer high-class and reliable service to the users so that they can access the features of the OS or the game effectively. Hence, stay tuned with us and enjoys the Digital World.
Also Read: How to fix Steam Error Code 80?
Leave a Reply