Cortana is an amazing inbuilt feature of Windows 10 that enables the users to access the applications through speech. Most of the time, Cortana works very fine and gives the utmost result to the users. But, sometimes, the users fail to access the virtual assistant just because Windows 10 Cortana not working issue. Perhaps she’s not answering to “Hey Cortana” like she used to.
Cortana won’t open
Cortana is one of the amazing features of Windows 10, however, many users reported various types of issues with it. Here are some common issues reported by users:
- Windows 10 Start Menu and Cortana not working – There are many reasons for this problem. It may be due to minor system issues, critical error with the start menu etc.
- Cortana is not working after an update – Several users also reported that Cortana isn’t working after an update. To fix the problem, just re-register Universal applications and resolve the issue.
- Cortana keeps crashing – This is another common problem faced by many users. To fix it, simply create a new user account and check that Cortana is working or not.
- Cortana not available, opening, loading, talking, showing up, searching– There may be many issues that can appear while using Cortana in Windows 10, but you should be able to smart enough to solve most of them by using one of our solutions.
6 ways to fix Cortana Not Working Issue
You might have faced the issue amid saying ‘Hey Cortana’ and she didn’t respond. So, if you are annoyed due to Cortana not responding issue, then don’t worry as here you will get the best possible solutions to fix the issue.
1] Allow Cortana to run on Windows Firewall
- Press the Start button and then type Firewall in the search bar and select Allow an app through Windows Firewall.
- Thereafter, a new window will open where you will get options to change the settings of the Firewall, click on the Change settings located at the top of the page.
- Now scroll down the page and navigate for all the features of Cortana and after finding the same, just click on the checkbox to ensure Cortana features are selected.
- After completing the task, click on the OK button.
2] Enable Cortana
If you want Cortana to hear your voice, then you must enable it and make sure to check the microphone too. So, if it is disabled, then Cortana not working issue will arise and to fix the same, you will have to enable it and the process for the same is provided below.
- Press the Start button and then click on the Setting icon that is symbolized with a gear icon.
- Thereafter, the Windows Settings page will open and here you need to select Cortana.
- In the Cortana page, you will get several options and you must check them thoroughly. So first, move to Hey Cortana section and beneath the same, you will find an option Let Cortana responds to “Hey Cortana”, make sure the radio button of the same is in ON.
- After that, move to the Lock Screen section and beneath the same, you will get an option Use Cortana even my device is locked and you need to turn the radio button in ON.
- Now, scroll down the page and at the bottom, you will find Cortana Language, select the one as per your region. If you didn’t find the respective language as per your region, then keep the default language, it is English (United States).
3] Sign-In and Sign out from Microsoft Account
Signing out and Signing back again will help you to get rid of Cortana not responding issue. The process is simple and for your convenience, the steps are listed below.
- Press the Start button.
- Now, select a user icon and then click on Sign Out.
- After signing out, go back to the user account and then sign-in again using Microsoft account.
4] Uninstall Windows Update
Microsoft offers an Update feature on Windows 10 OS and the same enables the user to access upgraded features of OS. However, if Cortana not working after an update is annoying you, then you can uninstall the updates and the process for the same is provided below.
- Press the Start button and then click on the Settings icon that is symbolized with a gear icon.
- Soon, you will find the Windows settings page and here you need to select Update & Security.
- Thereafter, the Windows Update page will open and here you will get the status of the update, move to view update history.
- On the next page, you will get the details of the Windows Update, click on Uninstall Updates that is located at the top of the page.
- The above step will direct you to the next page where you can sort out the updates that you want to uninstall.
- Select the updates and then click on the Uninstall button that is located at the top of the page.
5] Rebuilt Search Index to fix Cortana not working issue
- Press the Start button, type Control Panel in the search bar and then press the Enter key.
- Thereafter, the Control Panel window will open and you need to click on Indexing Options. On the off chance, if you failed to find an option, then move to View by section and select Small icons from the drop-down menu.
- The above step will direct you to the Indexing Options window and here you will find Modify option at the bottom of the page, click on it.
- Soon, Indexing Locations window will open and your job is to uncheck Offline Files and then click on the OK button.
- After that, move back to the Indexing Options and now click on the ‘Advanced’ button that is located at the bottom of the page.
- Move to the Troubleshooting section and then click on Rebuild.
- After completing the above step, click on the OK button rebuild the index.
6] Run Windows Troubleshooter to fix Cortana not responding Issue
Windows Troubleshooter is an inbuilt feature in Windows 10 OS that scans and fixes the error. So, you must try this method to repair Cortana and the process for the same is provided below.
- Press the Start button and then click on the Settings icon located above the power menu. You may also try pressing the Windows Logo and I key together.
- In the Windows Settings page, you will get several features, select Updates and Security.
- On this page, you will get the Update status and at the left panel Troubleshoot is listed, click on it.
- Now scroll down the page and click on Windows Store Apps.
- Under Windows Store apps, you will find Run the troubleshooter option, click on it.
- Thereafter, you will be directed to another page and you need to click on the Next button to proceed ahead.
- That’s it; now the Windows will scan and repair Cortana.
So, these were the efficient solutions against Cortana not working issue. On the off chance, if you have stuck during the process or need any assistance on any issues, then feel free to post in the comment box. Hence, stay connected and enjoy Windows 10 OS effectively.