Windows OS is featured with many interesting features and to maintain its popularity Microsoft launches updates from time to time. During the updates, there may be some occurrence of errors due to so many reasons. One such error is the Windows start menu not working. If you have encountered the Windows 10 Start Menu Not Working error, then don’t get worried you have landed in the right place as some effective solutions given in this article can fix the issue.
Why the Windows 10 Start Menu Not Working Error Occurs?
Windows 10 is the best OS and offers ample features to the users and one such is the Windows Update. The updates usually install the latest drivers and the system files so that it can match with the OS, but few updates bring the issue and one such is the Windows 10 Start menu not working or Windows 10 Start button not working.
How to fix Windows Start Menu not working error?
1] Create a new account
This is a basic method will help you to resolve the Windows start button not working issue. The process is simple and the detailed steps are listed below, just follow it and fix the error.
- Hover your mouse cursor to the taskbar, right-click on it and choose ‘Task Manager’.
- Thereafter, a Task Manager window will appear on the screen, click on the ‘File’ tab and select ‘Run new task’ from the drop-down menu.
- Soon, you will find the box, type ‘PowerShell’ in it.
- After completing the above task, click on the ‘OK’ button.
- After that Administrator Windows PowerShell pop-up will appear on the screen, type ‘net user ABC 1234/add’. Here ABC is the username and 1234 is the password, so you can create the one at your convenience. After writing the above command in the box, press the ‘Enter’ key.
- Now restart your computer and then log in to the PC with a new user account.
2] Uninstall and Reinstall the Video and Sound Card drivers
Most of the users reported that, after updating Windows 10, the Video Card and Sound Card fails to match with the requirements of the OS and due to the same, the issue Windows Start button not working arises. So, it is advised to reinstall the Video and Sound card drivers.
- Hover your mouse’s cursor to the ‘Start’ menu, right-click on it and then click on ‘Device Manager’.
- Soon, you will find the pop-up windows displaying the drivers and adapters of the computer’s peripherals.
- Move to ‘Sound, video and game controller’ section, open it by clicking on down arrow given beside
- Now right-click on the below-listed item and then choose to ‘Uninstall device’ one-by-one.
- Thereafter, a warning box will appear on the screen, click on the Ok button to start uninstalling the device.
- After completing the above task, restart your computer.
3] Uninstall Dropbox from the PC
If Dropbox is installed in your PC and running the same might conflict with the Start menu and results to start button not working error. So, if you want to resolve the error, then uninstall Dropbox from your system.
- Click on the ‘Start’ menu, type ‘Control Panel’ in the search bar and press the ‘Enter’ key.
- Thereafter, the Control Panel page will appear that will show the list of Windows settings. By default, the view is selected as ‘Category’. If it’s not showing in your system, click on the ‘View by’ section located at the top right end of the page and select ‘Category’ from the drop-down menu.
- Now, move to the ‘Programs’ section and select ‘Uninstall a program’.
- Locate for Dropbox, select it and then click on the ‘Uninstall’ button located at the top of the page.
- Now restart your computer to apply the changes.
4] Resolve the error using Windows 10 Start Menu troubleshooter
Microsoft offers an inbuilt tool to repair the OS, i.e. Troubleshooter which will resolve the ‘Windows 10 Start menu not working’ issue. The tool will check the running status of the start menu and will also look for the registry key. The process to access Windows 10 Start Menu Troubleshooter is listed beneath, follow the same and apply the method.
- Click on the ‘Start’ menu and further click on the ‘Settings’ icon which is located above the power menu.
- Thereafter, Windows Settings page will appear, click on ‘Update and Security’.
- Soon, you will get another window which will feature ample options at the left end of the page, click on ‘Troubleshoot’.
- Now, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
5] Repair the System Files
Corrupted System files always disturb the OS and result in one or other issue and this time, it is the Windows Start button not working issue. So, the quick solution for the same is to fix the corrupt system files. The process is simple and the detailed steps are listed below.
- Hover your mouse’s cursor to the Taskbar, right-click on it and then choose an option ‘Task Manager’.
- Thereafter, a pop-up window will appear on the screen, click on the ‘File’ tab and select ‘Run new task’ from the listed menu.
- In the provided box, type ‘Powershell’.
- Now, click on the ‘OK’ button.
- After that, you will get a command box and here you will have to type ‘sfc/scannow’ and then press the ‘Enter’ key.
- Now give some time to Windows to scan and fix the system files and after the completion of the task, restart your computer.
6] Disable third-party Antivirus
Microsoft offers the inbuilt Antivirus on Windows 10, i.e. Windows Defender which scans and removes the viruses. On the off chance, if you have installed any third party Antivirus, there might be a conflict between the two which results in the ‘Windows 10 Start button is not working’ error. So, it is better to disable the third-party antivirus and for that, select the antivirus from the taskbar and disable it.
Hence, these were the effective and comprehensive solutions against the issue ‘Windows 10 Start menu not working’. However, if you need any other assistance, feel free to contact our techies.