When you are trying to launch your Steam games many users experience an error named Steam error code 80. It is highly inaccurate to affirm that the error occurs due to one cause. Continue reading the article to grab the best and easy solutions for fixing the error code 80.
- 1 What is Steam Error Code 80
- 2 Best Fixes to Steam Error Code 80
- 2.1 1. Restart Your Computer to fix Steam Error Code 80
- 2.2 2. Change Region to fix Error Code 80
- 2.3 3. Change Playback Format to fix Steam Error Code 80
- 2.4 4. Steam Community In-Game
- 2.5 5. Go Offline Mode to fix Steam Code 80 Error
- 2.6 6. Modify Registry Configurations to fix Error Code 80
- 2.7 7. Add –TCP Suffix to fix Steam Error Code 80
- 2.8 8. Verify Integrity of Game Files to fix Steam Error 80 Code
- 2.9 9. Check Folder Security Permissions to fix Steam Code 80 Error
- 2.10 10. Change Regional Settings to fix Steam Error Code 80
- 2.11 11. Check Data Execution Prevention to fix Steam Error Code 80
- 2.12 12. Disable Windows Defender to fix Error Code 80 Steam
- 2.13 13. Update Drivers to fix Error Code 80 Steam
- 2.14 14. Delete Corrupt Steam Files to fix Error Code 80 Steam
- 2.15 15. Disable Antivirus to fix Steam Error Code 80
- 2.16 16. Reinstalling Steam to fix Steam Error Code 80
- 3 Conclusion
What is Steam Error Code 80
Steam error code 80 will cause due to the certain files which are set to read-only. The corruption of such files raises the Steam error code 80. Enabled Windows Defender also causes the Steam error code 80. The possible problems which causing error code 80 Steam are explained and solutions are provided for resolving the issue.
Best Fixes to Steam Error Code 80
1. Restart Your Computer to fix Steam Error Code 80
In some of the cases, the Steam error is minor and simple restart will resolve the issue. Most of the time restart will fix the error as it is a temporary error. If the error is fixed that would be great as it fixes with simple restart without trying any other solutions and wasting your time. If it doesn’t fix, try other solutions as the problem is regarding some other issue.
2. Change Region to fix Error Code 80
Sometimes the region will also cause the error code 80, to fix this issue you have to change the region.
- Double – click on the Steam desktop icon or from the start menu.
- After launching the app, click on the settings tab.
- Click on downloads and cloud.
- Select a different region from the drop-down list and click on ok button.
- Close the Steam and relaunch it.
- If the issue still persists, you have to change the region to the same as before. As the issue is not with the region to try other solutions.
3. Change Playback Format to fix Steam Error Code 80
There is an issue with playback format also causes the error code 80. The playback format that is not compatible with any of the Steam game also responsible for creating error code 80. You have to change the playback format that is suitable for a game to fix this error.
- On the right corner of the taskbar, you can see the sound icon. Right-click on the sound icon.
- Select playback devices from the list.
- New window pop–up, under playback tab select your active audio device.
- On the right corner of the window, you can see the properties option after selecting your current audio device. Click on the properties option.
- New pop–up window opens, go to the advanced tab.
- Under the default format category, set 16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality).
- Click on the apply and ok button.
- Close all the windows and restart your system.
- After restarting launch Steam and check whether the issue is resolved.
- If the issue is with the audio device properties definitely this option will help you to resolve the issue.
4. Steam Community In-Game
For a few games, the Steam community in–games feature will cause the error. To fix this type of errors disable unsupported feature through Steam client.
- Launch Steam.
- Go to the games library.
- Right-click on the game that displays error.
- From the drop-down list select properties.
- On the window, go to the general tab.
- Uncheck the box parallel to the Steam community in-game, click on ok and close all the windows.
- Relaunch Steam and open the game which causes an error. Hope this helps to fix the problem.
5. Go Offline Mode to fix Steam Code 80 Error
Steam is designed to view internet retrieved content whenever it is connected to the internet. Force your Steam to run into offline mode, you will still able to access the contents in the game library.
- Open Steam
- Click on the Steam menu
- Select go offline mode
If the error is fixed, you can always force offline mode whenever you run Steam.
- Go to the computer
- Open the c:\ drive where the Steam folder is saved. If you save the Steam folder in other drive go to that drive. Else if you don’t know where you saved the drive definitely it will save in c:\ drive.
- Open program files (x86) and from the list open the Steam folder.
- On the next screen, go to Steam.cfg and right-click on it from the list select open with option.
- A new window opens with certain programs list, select notepad.
- Steam.cfg file opens with notepad.
- Insert the following commands. If these commands already exist make sure those two features are enabled.
- Click file menu on notepad and click on save button.
- Now close all tabs and re-launch the Steam.
6. Modify Registry Configurations to fix Error Code 80
You can modify registry configuration of DPI settings in the Windows registry.
- Press Windows key + R, type RegEdit and click ok button.
- In the open window, locate the following subkey
- Click edit, go to New and select string value.
- Specify the following
- String Name: LogPixels
String Value: 120
- Close all the windows, relaunch Steam and check whether the issue is fixed.
7. Add –TCP Suffix to fix Steam Error Code 80
You have to open up the Steam client by adding –TCP at the end of the target file path in file properties.
- Right-click on the Steam icon on the desktop and select Properties from the drop-down list.
- Click on the shortcut tab in the new dialog that opens.
- Add –TCP at the target textbox
Old value: c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe
New value: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe –TCP
- Click on the apply and ok button.
8. Verify Integrity of Game Files to fix Steam Error 80 Code
In case of system cache files corruption, you have to verify and replace the files to solve the problem. In this solution, it will compare files present on the PC with the latest ones available on the Steam servers. If you found the files missing or incomplete, this solution will replace them after downloading from the official servers.
- You have to open Steam with administrator privileges. Right-click on the Steam launcher from the drop-down list, select run as administrator.
- From the menu bar select library option.
- As the library menu is opened, right–click on the game which gives you an error and clicks on properties.
- On the properties window, select local files tab and you will find an option with verifying the integrity of game files. Click on it to begin the process.
- Now Steam will check your files one by one. This will take some time to complete the process so avoid cancel the process in between.
- Launch task manager by pressing Windows + R button. This will pop–up to a run window, type taskmgr and click on the ok button to open up the task manager.
- You will get a list of programs running under processes tab, select “Steam Client Bootstrapper” and end the process. Select the program and click on end task button present on the right corner of the window.
- Relaunch Steam right-click on it and from the drop-down menu select run as administrator option.
- Start the game which was giving you the problem and hopefully the problem will be fixed.
9. Check Folder Security Permissions to fix Steam Code 80 Error
Steam may not have sufficient write privileges which cause it to generate error code 880. In order to work the program effectively, Steam should have both read and write privileges. Missing any of these reads and writes privileges will stop Steam in-between process and end up giving the error.
- Stop Steam related process through task manager following the steps in the above solution.
- Go to the default location of the Steam folder, initially go to the computer.
- Next, navigate to the local disk c:/ and mostly the program folder will exist in program files(x86).
- Search for the Steam folder in the above location.
- Right–click on the Steam folder and from the drop-down menu select properties.
- Click on the General tab and uncheck the box read-only if it is checked.
- Later click on apply and later click on ok button. After completion close, all the opened windows.
- Now launch the Steam icon by right–click and from the drop-down list select run as administrator.
- Hopefully, the problem will get solved, if the issue is with the unchecked box of read-only. If the box is already unchecked then you have to go with the other solution
10. Change Regional Settings to fix Steam Error Code 80
Mismatching of date and time zone sometimes causes Steam to pop–up Steam game failed to start error code 80.
- Go to the desktop screen date and time. Click on it.
- You will get a pop–up window there itself. Now select change date and time settings option.
- Click on change date and time that opens a pop–up window.
- Change date and time according to present and click on ok button.
- Or you can use the internet time by going to the internet time tab from the menu bar.
- Navigate to change settings and tap on it, a pop – up window opens. Untick the checkbox and on parallel to server select time.windows.com and click on update now option. After completion click on the apply button. After clicking ok pop – up window closes and click on apply on the window as shown in the figure.
- Next, go to date and time to change the time zone, pop – up window opens. Under time zone click on the down arrow and select the time zone according to your location. Finally, click on the ok button.
- Again click on apply and later on ok button.
- You have successfully updated time, date and time zone.
- Now relaunch Steam icon, hope this help to fix the error if the error is due to change in date and time. Else try the other solutions to fix the issue.
11. Check Data Execution Prevention to fix Steam Error Code 80
When there is a problem with data execution prevention will have a conflict with Steam. In Windows, data execution prevention is a security feature. Basically, it blocks and shuts down program which seems to harm your computer. Obviously, Steam never harms your computer but it is very normal but it is listed as one of the programs.
- Open control panel from the Start menu on the desktop screen.
- On the pop–up window, select system category.
- Next window opens containing all your system details.
- On the left side of the panel, you will see advanced system settings. Click on it.
- Now the system properties window will open, go to advanced tab from the menu bar.
- Underperformance category, click on settings option.
- A new window opens with performance options, go to the data execution prevention category.
- The first option will choose as default, you have to select second option turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.
- Click on the add button as shown on the screen, now navigate to the Steam directory and select the Steam folder. Select the Steam.exe file from the location and click on the apply and ok button to save the changes.
- Relaunch Steam and open the game that was causing the error. Hope this solution solved the error and running the Steam games without any error.
12. Disable Windows Defender to fix Error Code 80 Steam
Many of the users have solved the error 80 by disabling Windows defender as it will cause the error. After disabling it, the fluctuations will get fixed. Give a try by turning off Windows defender and relaunch Steam to check the error fix. However, if this solution doesn’t work, we highly recommend to turn on your Windows Defender.
Following are the steps to turn on and off Windows defender
- Type “edit group policy” in the Windows search bar in the start menu.
- A new window opens and goes to the computer configuration tab.
- Under computer configuration select administrative templates.
- On the right side of the panel, you can see folders select Windows components from the list.
- Selecting Windows component, you will redirect to next screen from the set of options select Windows Defender.
- On selecting Windows defender, the window will proceed to the next screen.
- From the list select turn off Windows Defender.
- New pop–up window open, select enabled option from the set of options which will disable Windows Defender. To turn on Windows defender either select not configured or disabled.
- After selecting click on apply and later on the ok button to save the changes.
- Close all the windows and now re-launch steam to check the error is solved or not. If the error is not fixed disable the turn off Windows Defender and try other solutions.
13. Update Drivers to fix Error Code 80 Steam
If your system drivers are not up to date, update it immediately to stop this error. The drivers include audio, video, graphics drivers, etc, check all the drivers up to date or not. If you want to update drivers at once download third party software to update drivers with just one click. If you want to update drivers manually, follow the below procedure.
- From the Windows button or start menu on the desktop screen search for device manager.
- Select device manager from the list and new window of device manager open.
- Press the + symbol on the window to show the expanded list of drivers under those categories.
- Right-click on the driver you want to update, from the drop-down list select update driver software.
- The selected driver will update using the internet.
- Hence updating all the drivers manually will take a lot of time but with the use of third-party software, we can update the same with simple clicks.
- After completion of driver updating, close all the windows and relaunch Steam to check whether the error is fixed.
14. Delete Corrupt Steam Files to fix Error Code 80 Steam
Sometimes Steam files may get corrupted due to any of the reason and there is nothing to worry about it. We can try to delete the Steamapps folder and let Steam download the missing files. Copy the Steam file to any other location so that the folder will stay safe and you can retrieve it if anything goes wrong.
- End all the Steam related processes using task manager as explained in the above solutions.
- Go to the original folder of your Steam file location. If not known search in local disk c:/ program files or program files (x86).
- Delete the folder named Steamapps.
- Now close all the windows.
- Launch Steam using run as administrator and it will download the missing files.
15. Disable Antivirus to fix Steam Error Code 80
In some of the situations, your antivirus is causing the problem. It will mark steam files as potential virus and will cause an error. For a while, turn–off antivirus in your system and check whether the issue is resolved or not. If the issue is resolved, you have to make steam files are neglected from your virus scan. Still, your error is not resolved that the issue with some other, you have to enable antivirus as it safeguards your computer.
16. Reinstalling Steam to fix Steam Error Code 80
Since none of the solutions worked out finally we are clear that there is a problem with Steam itself. To fix this issue, you have to uninstall the software and need to reinstall it. You have to go with this solution only if you have sufficient time to reinstall Steam software.
- Tap on the start menu from the desktop screen.
- Navigate to control panel and double tap on it to open it on the new window.
- On the new window select program category under which you can see uninstall a program.
- Select uninstall a program, you will redirect to next screen where you can see a list of programs installed on your system.
- Go to Steam select it and click on uninstall option.
- This will prompt a pop–up window for confirmation, click on yes button.
- It will take some time to uninstall the program.
- After completion of program restart your system and start reinstalling Steam in your system.
- Hope this solution helped you to fix the error.
** This may delete games in your Steam and game progress. Saving the data may help you to retrieve your games and progress data.
Or you can follow the below procedure without completely uninstalling Steam.
- Navigate to the Steam directory, if you saved them in any other drive folder. If you not saved especially in any other drive that the files would save in program files (x86).
- Locate the following folders like SteamApps folder, Userdata folder, steam.exe and ssfn continued with a series of numbers. Except for above folder files, delete rest of the files and close all other folders restart your computer.
- After restart relaunch Steam and hopefully, it will start updating itself. After the update, the Steam will run without any errors.
Hope this article has guided you to resolve your problem of Steam error code 80. While trying any of the above solutions remember to run Steam as an administrator in all the solution even if it is not mentioned in the solution. If you have any doubts while performing any of the solutions or any queries regarding the solution feel free to write to us. Are you having any question on any other problem related to gadgets, please write to us and we will send solutions to fix the issue.
Also Read: How to fix Steam Disk Write Error?