Windows is undoubtedly a great Operating System which is loaded with outstanding applications and is admired by many users. However, if you are unable to open your computer due to an error ‘reboot and select proper boot device’, then don’t worry because you have landed on the right path and here, you will find the effective and utmost solutions against an issue. But before heading towards the solution end, let’s know about the issue and the causes.
- 1 Quick Glance of an error ‘reboot and select proper boot device’
- 2 Causes behind an error ‘reboot and select proper boot device Windows 10’ OS?
- 3 Conclusion
Quick Glance of an error ‘reboot and select proper boot device’
The error ‘reboot and select proper boot device’ means that the System BIOS is failed to detect the bootable drive/disk and as a result, the display shows this error.
Causes behind an error ‘reboot and select proper boot device Windows 10’ OS?
The prime reason behind the issue is the failure of the Operating System or might be it got corrupted. Another reason is the failure of the boot volume. Well, if you want to go deeper, then secondary reasons may be the virus attack or corrupted registry files which came with BIOS update.
How to fix an error ‘reboot and select proper boot device Windows 10’ OS?
Ensure HDD is displaying on the list
As stated earlier, the prime reason of an error ‘reboot and select proper boot device’ may be the failure of the Operating System, so first and foremost, you will have to ensure whether HDD is in the list of System or not and for the same, you will have to follow a few steps which are listed below.
- Remove all the peripherals and shut down the PC.
- Now, you will have to enter in the BIOS settings and for that press the Power button and immediately press the relevant key to get into the BIOS such as F12 or ESC key.
- After getting into the BIOS settings, move to the Boot and select boot priority option.
- Once you reach in the said page, you will find the list of Drivers and your job is to find out HDD in the system list. If it is not showing, then maybe HDD is lagging the cable connection and in this case, you will have to replace the existing SATA cable with the new one.
- However, if HDD is showing on the system list, then go for the next solution.
Change Boot Order in BIOS
Generally, Windows boot from the Hard drive, but if an external drive is connected and is set as a primary one then it will display an error ‘reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key’. So, you will have to change the order and keep the hard drive at the priority level.
- Shut down your PC.
- Press the power button and immediately press the relevant key to get access in the BIOS settings. Generally, it is F8 or F12 key.
- Now move to the ‘BIOS SETUP UTILITY’ page and select ‘Startup’ from the menu.
- Thereafter, you will get two options of the boot device, select the first one and keep it as HDD.
- That’s it, now save the changes and restart your computer.
Set Primary Hard Drive in Active Mode
The error ‘reboot and select proper boot device windows 10’ OS also occur due to the primary partition, if the same is not in active mode. So move to the partition setting and enable it in active mode and process for the same is simple and as follows.
- Make sure you retain the working Windows Installation CD because you will have to insert the same in CD/DVD Drive.
- After inserting the disc in the drive, restart your computer.
- Thereafter, your screen will display ‘System Recovery Options’ select ‘Troubleshoot’.
- In the ‘Troubleshoot’ page select ‘Advanced’.
- Here also, you will get additional options, select ‘Command Prompt’.
- Now, type ‘diskpart’in the command box and make sure to avoid inverted comma and then press the ‘Enter’ key.
- Now you can perform changes in the disk partition and to select the disk, enter ‘select disk 0’ and press ‘Enter’ key. Well, disk 0 shows the place where Windows is installed. However, if you want to see the full list, then type ‘list disk’ and hit Enter button.
- It’s time to go for the primary partition and for that, type ‘list partition’ in the command box and press the ‘Enter’ key.
- Now, type ‘select partition 2’ in the box and then hit on ‘Enter’ key. Here, 1 denotes the primary partition.
- Last and final command; in the box, you will have to type ‘active’ and further press the ‘Enter’ key.
Please note that these settings navigation may vary in your system.
That’s it; these were the effective solution against the issue ‘reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key’. However, if you need additional support to fix the error in a short span of time, then contact us immediately. We are here to assist you 24*7, so you can contact us anytime as per your convenience. If you feel this article helpful please like, share and follow our facebook page and keep visiting our website for such tutorials and guides.