The Windows updates are important because your system will have compatibility issues with outdated programs and operating systems. The Windows update is an automated process, until and unless you have changed settings to prevent updates. In some of the instances, updates will get stuck during the process and will show Updates downloading at 0%. It will remain 0% no matter how long you wait, so try the tips and solutions below to fix the issue Windows 10 update stuck at 0 % downloading.
Overview of Windows Update Stuck at 0% Downloading
If you have encountered Windows 10 upgrade stuck error then it doesn’t mean that it is directly related to the situation of up-gradation of Windows from the older OS to the newer one with Upgrade Assistant. In such a case you still need to upgrade device drivers or service packs on Windows 10. Normally, there can be three circumstances in which you will receive this error such as:
1] Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant stuck
Many users reported that during the downloading and installing process of Windows Update, they encountered stuck with various error codes such as 0, 3, 35, 48, 81, 99, etc. Apart from this they have faced error message like “Windows update stuck at checking for updates”, “Windows update stuck on checking your PC”, “Windows 10 upgrade stuck installing”, “Windows 10 upgrade stuck restarting” and much more.
2] Windows 10 update progress bar is stuck
Though in many cases the available updates get automatically downloaded for the Windows Update for your computer. However, some users reported that Windows Update stuck downloading updates at some point.
3] Windows 10 Update stuck in blue screen
Once the updates have been downloaded successfully, Windows will install these updates and save others to install when you restart your computer. Many users observed a blue screen during this process accompanying an error message “Keep your PC on until this is done. Installing update 3 of 7…“
Does Windows Update really Stuck?
If you are using SSD on your computer then it will take hardly 10 to 30 minutes in updating the Windows. However, if you are using HDD on your computer it will take 90 minutes to 24 hours in updating the Windows. If the process is taking so much time then there are chances to get Windows Update stuck error and it is always recommended to take some measures to fix the update issue. There can be various reasons behind this issue such as outdated or corrupted drivers, or missing drivers, pending updates, etc.
To fix the issue, you can try the inbuilt Windows troubleshooter. If that doesn’t work for you then you can try the following methods one by one until you fix the issue.
Why the error “Windows Update Stuck at 0% Downloading” occurs?
The Windows update stuck at 0% downloading, Windows update not loading, or Windows 7 update stuck downloading may occur due to many reasons. The foremost reason for the issue is lag due to overloaded physical memory (RAM). Sometimes, the reason is software conflict (pre-existing) that is unnoticed, until the initiation of Windows updates. Initially, go through the simple tips and later go with the solutions to fix the error. The Windows updates issues are common, the below-given tips and solutions are suitable for all the Windows operating systems.
- In case if you are having multiple updates, try to download two or three at a time manually. If this tip is working, follow the same for the rest of the updates to resolve the issue.
- The Windows have stuck at the particular part of the installation process, press ctrl+alt+delete keys from the keyboard. This command makes your system to go to the login screen of your Windows, log in normally as you would do every time normally. Now, check whether the Windows updates continue to install normally and successfully. Else try with the other tips and solutions.
How to Fix Windows Update Not Downloading?
The Windows updates are the utmost important service because your system will have compatibility issues on outdated programs and operating systems. Actually, the Windows update is an automated process, until and unless you have changed settings to prevent these updates. In some of the instances, while updating the Windows version you may face the common errors and updates will get stuck during the process and will show Updates downloading at 0%. It will remain 0% no matter how long you wait, so try the below practical tips and solutions to fix the issue Windows update stuck downloading.
Wait or Restart your Computer
Sometimes the system is not having any error and the system will show the updates stuck at 0% downloading. In such a case, a Restart could help you out in getting rid of this error. Though it is the simplest solution to see but has helped many users. So Restarting your system will definitely fix this kind of errors.
Check for the Network Connectivity
Sometimes a poor internet connection will also a cause behind this error. If your internet speed is poor or your internet connectivity is failed then there are chances that you may encounter Windows update stuck at 0% downloading. To fix this issue just check the network connectivity and speed by opening any website on your other device.
Free up Some Disk Space
Sometimes the issue of Windows update stuck at 0% downloading may arise due to lack of memory. So if your system also has run out of space, the Windows update stuck at 0% downloading issue may occur. If so, you need to free up your C drive to leave a free space of at least 10GB.
Disable Non-Microsoft Services
Disabling non-Microsoft services is a simple solution that has worked for many people.
- Press Windows logo key + R from the keyboard at the same time. The run dialog box will open and type msconfig in the run box. Click on the OK button.
- Go to the services tab on the menu bar and Uptick the box to hide all Microsoft services as shown in the figure.
- Now, non-Microsoft services are only visible and click on the disable all option. Finally, click on the OK button.
- Close all the windows and restart your computer to take effect of the applied changes.
- Lastly, launch Windows Update and download the updates again. Now, you will download the updates without any issues.
Note: After downloading the updates, open msconfig again and go to the services tab as said in step 1, and untick hide all Microsoft services. Now, click on the enable all, apply, and ok button. Hope this solution has helped you to fix Windows 10 update stuck at 0, Windows 7 update stuck downloading, or Windows update not downloading for other Microsoft operating system issue.
Disable Windows Defender Firewall Temporarily
Sometimes, the Windows Defender firewall may block Windows update stuck at 0% downloading issue. If so, you need to turn off the Windows firewall till the time you are downloading the updates and then turn it on right once the updates are successfully downloaded and installed. To do so follow these steps:
- Press Windows+R keys to open the Run box and type firewall.cpl and press Enter. It will open the Windows Defender Firewall window.
- Now from the left pane, click Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off.
- Check the option Turn off Windows Defender Firewall under both Private and Public networking settings.
- Click OK to save changes.
Stop and Restart Windows Update Service
- Simultaneously press Windows+R keys, the dialog box of run opens. Enter services.msc in the box and click on the OK button.
- The new window of services opens; you have to identify Windows update from the list. For easy identification, type Windows Update and you can get to that service with ease.
- Now, right-click on the service and select Stop from the drop-down list as shown in the figure.
- Next, open c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and delete all the content in that folder.
- If your Windows folder is not visible in the c:\ local disk, go to c:\ click on organize and click on “Change folder and search option”.
- On the pop-up window, click on the view tab and click on show hidden files, folder, and drives as shown in the figure.
- Finally, repeat step 1 to open services.msc and search for Windows update. Now, right-click on services.msc, select the start option as shown in the figure.
- Restart your computer and start downloading your updates.
** Hopefully, this solution helps to fix the issue of Windows 10 update stuck at 0, Windows 7 update stuck downloading, or Windows update not downloading for other Windows operating systems. If it doesn’t help to fix the issue continue with the other solutions to find the appropriate fix for the issue.
Repair or Delete Incorrect Registry Values
Incorrect registry values may cause this issue. So to fix the issue you need to delete the incorrect registry values and then check for the error. Before proceeding it is always recommended to take a backup of the registry keys in case something goes wrong to avoid any further loss. So, follow these steps:
- Press Windows+R key to open the Run box and type regedit.exe and press Enter.
- Locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE from the left pane and double click on it.
- Now select COMPONENTS if it’s located there and then right-click on PendingXmlIdentifier and choose to Delete.
- Next, locate the NextQueueEntryIndex then select Delete. Confirm any additional prompts.
- Now locate AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving then select Delete. Confirm any additional prompts.
- Once done, close the registry and restart your computer and check for the error.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows includes a built-in troubleshooter that may help to fix Windows 10 update stuck at 0, Windows 7 update stuck downloading, or Windows update not downloading issue.
- Go to the Start button or click on the Windows logo key from the keyboard and type troubleshooting in the search bar. Select the Troubleshoot option from the list as shown in the figure.
- You are directed to the Control Panel with the list of troubleshooters. You can find “Fix problems with Windows Update” under the category of System and security, click on it.
- Click on the Advanced option, on the next screen.
- Uptick in the box parallel to apply repairs automatically option as shown in the figure to run as administrator and click on the Next button.
** Giving administrative privileges helps to delete files in the download cache.
- The troubleshooter works on its process and lets you know whether it could identify and fix the problem. In most cases, the troubleshooter can identify the stuck update and removes it from the queue.
- Now, try to run the Windows update. This may help you to fix Windows 10 update stuck at 0, Windows 7 update stuck downloading, or Windows update not downloading issue.
Hopefully, the above solutions of Windows 10 update stuck at 0, Windows 7 update stuck downloading, or Windows update not downloading has helped you to fix the issue. Are you still having queries or suggestions? Get in touch in the comments section and we will help you out at the earliest possible.
Also Read: 10 Most Common Problems in Windows 10 with Solutions
Leave a Reply