The Windows updates are important because your system will have compatibility issues on outdated programs and operating systems. The Windows update is an automated process, until and unless you have changed settings to prevent updates. In some of the instances, updates will get stuck during the process and will show Updates downloading at 0%. It will remain 0% no matter how long you wait, so try below tips and solutions to fix the issue Windows 10 update stuck at 0 %.
- 1 Reasons behind Windows Update Stuck at 0% Error
- 2 Windows 10 Update Stuck at 0% or Windows 7 Update Stuck Downloading: Tips before Going to Solutions
- 3 Closing Words
Reasons behind Windows Update Stuck at 0% Error
The Windows 10 update stuck at 0%, Windows update not loading, or Windows 7 update stuck downloading may occur due to many reasons. The foremost reason for the issue is lag due to overloaded physical memory (RAM). Sometimes, the reason is software conflict (pre-existing) that is unnoticed, until the initiation of Windows updates. Initially, go through the simple tips and later go with the solutions to fix the error. The Windows updates issues are common, the below-given tips and solutions are suitable for all the Windows operating systems.
Windows 10 Update Stuck at 0% or Windows 7 Update Stuck Downloading: Tips before Going to Solutions
- Restart your computer and try again Windows update. In some of the cases, there is no problem just shows Windows 10 update stuck at 0%. Restarting your system will definitely fix this kind of simple errors.
- Sometimes, your internet is slow or the update is taking a long time or there is a problem in the update so that your system isn’t showing the progress. If you have patience you can wait for the updates to complete as it takes more than 8 to 10 hours. If you have to fix the issue immediately try the below-given solutions.
- In case if you are having multiple updates, try to download two or three at a time manually. If this tip is working, follow the same for the rest of the updates to resolve the issue.
- The Windows have stuck at the particular part of the installation process, press ctrl + alt + delete keys from the keyboard. This command makes your system to go to the login screen of your Windows, log in normally as you would do every time normally. Now, check whether the Windows updates continue to install normally and successfully. Else try with the other tips and solutions.
Solutions to Fix Windows Update Not Downloading
The Windows updates are utmost important because your system will have compatibility issues on outdated programs and operating systems. Actually, the Windows update is an automated process, until and unless you have changed settings to prevent these updates. In some of the instances, while updating the Windows version you may face the common errors and updates will get stuck during the process and will show Updates downloading at 0%. It will remain 0% no matter how long you wait, so try below practical tips and solutions to fix the issue Windows update stuck downloading.
Stop and Restart Windows Update Service
- Simultaneously press Windows logo key + R keys, the dialog box of run opens. Enter services.msc in the box and click on ok button.
- The new window of services opens; you have to identify Windows update from the list. For easy identification, type Windows update and you can get to that service with ease.
- Now, right-click on the service and select stop from the drop-down list as shown in the figure.
- Next, open c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and delete all the content in that folder. If your Windows folder is not visible in the c:\ local disk, go to c:\ click on organize and click on folder and search option. On the pop-up window, click on the view tab and click on show hidden files, folder, and drives as shown in the figure.
How to view hidden files
Delete selected folder files
- Finally, repeat step 1 to open services.msc and search for Windows update. Now, right-click on services.msc, select the start option as shown in the figure.
- Restart your computer and start downloading your updates.
** Hopefully, this solution helps to fix the issue Windows 10 update stuck at 0, Windows 7 update stuck downloading, or Windows update not downloading for other Windows operating systems. If it doesn’t help to fix the issue continue with the other solutions to find the appropriate fix for the issue.
Disable Non-Microsoft Services
Disabling non-Microsoft services is the simple solution that has worked for many of the people.
- Press Windows logo key + R from the keyboard at the same time. The run dialog box will open and type msconfig in the run box. Click on the ok button.
- Go to the services tab on the menu bar and Uptick the box to hide all Microsoft services as shown in the figure.
- Now, non-Microsoft services are only visible and click on disable all option. Finally, click on the ok button.
- Close all the windows and restart your computer to take effect of the applied changes.
- Lastly, launch Windows update and download the updates again. Now, you will download the updates without any issues.
Note: After downloading the updates, open msconfig again and go to services tab as said in step 1 and untick hide all Microsoft services. Now, click on enable all, apply, and ok button. Hope this solution has helped you to fix Windows 10 update stuck at 0, Windows 7 update stuck downloading, or Windows update not downloading for other Microsoft operating system issue.
Fix with a Troubleshooter
- Windows includes a built-in troubleshooter that may help to fix Windows 10 update stuck at 0, Windows 7 update stuck downloading, or Windows update not downloading issue.
- Go to start button or click on the Windows logo key from the keyboard and type troubleshooting on the search bar. Select the troubleshooting option from the list as shown in the figure.
- You are directed to the control panel with the list of troubleshooters. You can find fix problems with Windows Update under the category of System and security, click on it.
- Click on the advanced option, on the next screen
- Uptick on the box parallel to apply repairs automatically option as shown in the figure. Now, click on run as administrator option and click on next button.
** Giving administrative privileges helps to delete files in the download cache.
- The troubleshooter works on its process and lets you know whether it could identify and fix the problem. In most of the cases, the troubleshooter can identify the stuck update and removes it from the queue.
- Now, try to run Windows update. This may help you to fix Windows 10 update stuck at 0, Windows 7 update stuck downloading, or Windows update not downloading issue.
Hopefully, the above solutions of Windows 10 update stuck at 0, Windows 7 update stuck downloading, or Windows update not downloading has helped you to fix the issue. Are you still having queries or suggestions? Get in touch in the comments section and we will help you out at the earliest possible.