Windows is a user-friendly Operating System which offers the salient application for the ease of the users and periodically updates the same so that the users can match the technology and can enjoy the digital world more effectively. But, some users reported Windows update error 0x8024402c. Well, this error has one meaning, i.e. Windows failed to check for the update.
So, if you are also one of the victims of the same error code 0x8024402c, then don’t get worried as here you will get the utmost solutions against this issue. But, before moving onwards, let’s figure out the actual reasons which created the problem.
What is Windows Update Error 0x8024402c?
Microsoft launches regular system updates for its Windows OS to give a better user experience. These system updates repair the crucial flaw that can be abused by cybercriminals to infect machines with the virus, as well as increase the operation stability. During these Windows updates installation, some users reported errors like 0x8024402c that restrict them from installing these updates.
This is one of the recurring Windows Update errors (such as error 80244019, error 80070103, error 0x8007002, error 0x8024a105, error 0x800705b4, and many others).Users reported this error faced when Windows cannot search for new updates and users failed to update their OS. When the computer is unable to connect to the Windows Update Server and you open Windows Update and as soon as it tries to connect to the network, this error will appear: STOP: 0x8024402c and show the Blue Screen of Death.
This error code does not allow you to install new updates released by Microsoft. Moreover, you often won’t be able to install any new app to enjoy its feature until the installation of Windows Updates.
Why Windows Update Error 0x8024402c appear?
The primary reason is the failure of the Network due to improper configuration of the network. However, if you are connected with the LAN and the same is managed by the Windows Server Update Service, then it will create an issue known as Windows update error 0x8024402c. Apart from this, I have listed some other reasons behind this error such as:
- Invalid LAN Settings
- Incorrect Update Settings
- Use of VPN
- Invalid Proxy Settings
- Incorrect Firewall Settings
- Junk Files
- Incorrect Time Settings
Now, after knowing the causes behind the issue, it’s time to fix the same and for your convenience, few advanced methods are listed below which will help you to resolve such issues in a short span of time.
How to fix Windows Update Error 0x8024402c?
First try the conventional one, i.e. Windows Update Troubleshooter. This is a tool offered by Windows whose sole aim is to fix the issue and enable all the applications to run smoothly in the OS. So, you must begin with this, and to engrain the same, you will have to follow the steps listed below.
Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Click on the ‘Start’ menu, type ‘Windows Update Settings’ in the search bar, and then hit on the ‘Enter’ button.
- Thereafter, a new window will appear on the screen which will show the salient features of the Windows Update settings.
- Now, click on the ‘Troubleshoot’ button which is located at the left end of the page.
- Thereafter, you will find a few additional settings on the right side of the page; navigate for ‘Windows Update’, and then click on it.
- Soon, you will get another option, i.e. ‘Run the troubleshooter’ beneath ‘Windows Update’ and your job is to click on that option.
- Now relax and give some time to Windows to fix the update issue.
Temporary Disable Windows Firewall
As we have already discussed that incorrect Firewall settings might be a cause behind this error. To fix this error try to disable the Windows Firewall temporarily. Follow these steps to do so:
- Go to the search box and type Firewall.cpl and press Enter.
- Select the Turn Windows Firewall On or Off option.
- Navigate to the Private Network Settings and select Turn off Windows firewall.
- Turn off the Firewall Settings for Public Network Settings also by doing this step again. And then click OK to save the changes.
- Restart your computer and check for the error.
Remove Junk Files
Junk files also might be a reason behind this error. Thus, clear the junk files and try to install updates:
- Go to the search box and type cmd and press Enter.
- Right-click on the command prompt and select Run as administrator.
- Now, type the command cleanmgr and click Enter.
- Wait for the process to scan the system. Once it completed and shows the results, click OK to delete all junk files.
Change DNS Server
- Press Windows+R keys to open the ‘Run’ dialog box and type ‘ncpa.cpl’ in the box and then click on the ‘OK’ button.
- Thereafter, the Network Connections page will appear on the screen which will show the available network. Now, select the network which is connected with the device and double-click on it to access its properties.
- Clicking on the properties tab will offer the additional settings in a new window, select ‘Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) and then click on the ‘Properties’ tab, located at the bottom of the Windows.
- Again, a new window will appear which will help you to make changes in the IP settings. Now, click on the radio button, ‘Use the following DNS server addresses’.
- In the Preferred DNS Server, enter the values 184.108.40.206, and in the Alternate DNS Server, enter the values 220.127.116.11.
- After entering the values in the DNS server, click on the OK button.
- That’s it, now restart your computer.
Enable ‘Automatically detect settings’ from LAN
Windows update error 0x8024402c windows 7 users can fix this by enabling this feature from LAN. The process is very simple and for your solace, the steps are listed below which will help you to accomplish the task effectively.
- Click on the ‘Start’ menu, type ‘Internet Options’ in the search bar, and then hit the ‘Enter’ button.
- Thereafter, a new window will appear which will show the ‘Internet Properties’, click on the ‘Connections’ tab located at the top of the page.
- Soon, you will find a few options on the page, move to the LAN section, and click on ‘LAN settings’.
- A pop-up will appear on the screen, click on the checkbox ‘Automatically detect settings’, and after that click on the ‘OK’ button.
Configure Updates Client
- First and foremost, press the ‘Windows’ key and ‘R’ key simultaneously to open the ‘Run’ dialog box.
- Now, type ‘regedit’ in the Run box and then press the ‘Enter’ key.
- Thereafter, Registry Editor Window will appear, select ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE’ and click on the arrow button to expand its features.
- Now, select Software and further select Policies from the list of software.
- Under the Policy section, you will find the ‘Microsoft’ folder, select the one and then choose the ‘Windows’ folder.
- In the ‘Windows’ section of the registry editor, you will find ‘Windows Update’, click on the arrow key to expand it and from there, select ‘AU’.
- Now select ‘UseWUServer’ from the right end of the page, double-click on it, and then enter 0 in the field of value data.
- However, if you don’t find such a file at the right end of the page, then don’t worry. Just right-click anywhere on the right end, select DWORD (32bit) value from the ‘New’ menu, and then provide it the name as UseWUServer.
- Now keep the value 0 and click on the ‘OK’ button.
That’s it; this will resolve Windows update error 0x8024402c Windows 7. However, if the issue still appears, then you can clear the data from the exception box of the Proxy settings. The process is simple and the detailed method for the same is listed beneath.
Remove Invalid Characters from the Proxy Exception list
- To do this, open the Internet Options box and for the same, click on the ‘Start’ icon, type ‘Internet Options’ in the search bar, and hit Enter.
- Now, click on the ‘connections’ tab located at the top of the page.
- Thereafter, click on the ‘LAN settings’.
- Now, move to the ‘Proxy server’ section and click on the checkbox ‘Use a proxy server for your LAN’ and further click on the ‘Advanced’ button.
- Soon, you will find ‘Proxy Settings’ windows, move to the ‘Exceptions’ section, and then clear all the data from the box. Click on the ‘OK’ button.
- Open the Command Prompt window and run the following commands one by one and press Enter after each command:
netsh winhttp reset proxy
net stop wuauserv
net start wuauserv
- Once completed, try to install the Windows Update.
Most probably your Windows update error 0x8024402c has been resolved. Let us know in the comment section which method worked for you? However, if you still facing the problem, then contact us to get advanced solutions. Wanna some more DeviceTricks? Stay tuned to this space to get the latest updates on errors related to Windows, macOS, and Android. If you feel this article helpful please like, share, and follow our Facebook page.