Hey Guys, Windows update error code 80070103 seems like your problem! I can understand it is quite frustrating seeing the error when you don’t know how to deal about it. If you are annoyed with this error code then let me tell you that you are not alone on this globe to face this kind of error. Every now and then the users are facing such kind of errors while updating Windows. But the good thing is you can fix this error right now, just by applying some easy to execute steps. But prior to that let’s get know what is this Windows Update error 800070103.
What is Windows Update Error 80070103 Code?
The Windows update error 80070103 simply warns you that you may be trying to install a device driver that is already being installed on your computer or in other sense it has a lower compatibility rating that the one is already on your PC i.e. the driver on your computer is better. In addition to this, the other reason could be up-gradation of your existing Windows OS or when the device driver is outdated or is not working properly.
Error Code 80070103 Windows Update ran into a problem.
It is always advisable to keep your system updated. Installing Windows Update regularly is an essential part to keep your system error-free. There are some more errors related to the device drivers such as device not migrated error, Driver power state failure etc. But many a time you end up with some error code pop-up on your display instructing about error code 80070103 on Windows Update. If you encounter this error with warning message then don’t panic and just follow our tutorial to resolve the error.
Why Code 80070103 Windows Update Error Occurs?
The prime reason behind this error code is the incompatibility of the driver you are installing on Windows. The reasons for this error are listed as under:
- Basically this error code may occur when you are trying to install any device driver which is already available or installed on your system.
- If you are installing the device driver which is having the lower compatibility than the driver already installed.
- If your device is outdated or corrupted then you may encounter error code 80070103.
- Due to an internal conflict or proxy issue.
To fix this error you have to find out that particular deice driver which is creating the issue.
Figure Out the Specific Driver Causing the Error Code 80070103
First of all, we will find out the culprit device driver creating the error. So follow these steps:
- Go to the Start Menu and then type and open Windows Updates or Check for Updates.
- Now go to Advanced options.
- Now click on the View Update History.
- Here you can find out the specific device driver failing to update at the top.
Once you find out the culprit device driver then it is very easy to fix this error code 80070103.
Fix Windows update error code 80070103
As we have already discussed this error is caused due to the device driver only. So this error can be fixed by updating the drivers. Before updating the driver you need to find out that specific driver which is creating the problem? After that Step by step solutions of this error along with images are listed below:
Manually install the Device Driver
- Before installing the drivers first completely uninstall the currently installed drivers using (Display Driver Uninstaller).
- Press Windows + R and type devmgmt.msc in the dialogue box and press enter.
- Once the device manager is open expand the Display Adapters
- Right-click on the device under Display Adapters and select Update driver.
- Under Update driver select second option Browse my computer for driver software.
- Now navigate to the location where you download the driver and install it accordingly by following the instruction on the screen.
- Restart the computer after finishing the updating the driver and check if the problem has resolved for error code 80070103 Windows Update.
Update the Device Driver
You need to update the device driver to fix the issue. You can update the driver manually by following these easy steps:
- Go to the official website of the device manufacturer.
- Find and download the latest driver for your device from the website.
- Once the driver is downloaded, install the downloaded file on your computer.
- After that, it needs to restart your computer to the device driver to come into effect.
Remove the Problematic Device Driver
Sometimes you might have noticed that the incorrect installation of the device driver is causing new errors on your computer. Before installing the device driver the system was working fine but after the installation of the device driver, the system has started generating such errors. So in such a situation, it is always recommended to remove or uninstall that culprit device driver. To remove or uninstall the device driver execute these steps:
- Press Windows+R keys simultaneously to open the Run dialogue box on your computer.
- Type devmgmt.msc in the box and click OK.
- Device manager window will open then scroll down to the problematic device driver. Right-click on the driver and choose uninstall device to continue.
- A pop up will ask you to confirm and click OK.
- After that restart your computer and check for the error.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
If none of the previous solutions worked for you then you can try to use the Windows Update Troubleshooter to fix this issue. It is an inbuilt tool provided by Microsoft to fix the issues automatically.
- Press Windows+I key to open Settings. And then go to the Windows Update section.
- Click Troubleshoot from the left pane of the window.
- Now click Run the troubleshooter.
- Now the Troubleshooter will start detecting the problem. Follow the on-screen instructions to fix the issue.
- Lastly, restart your computer and check fort he error.
Hide the updates
- Press Windows + S, and type Control Panel in the dialogue box.
- Select System and Security to open the application.
- Choose System from the listed menu of System and Security.
- Under System application, choose Advanced System Settings from the left-hand side panel.
- Open the Hardware tab and click on Device Installation Settings.
- Select No (your device might not work as expected) and proceed to save changes.
- Restart the computer after making the necessary changes and now the Windows update error 80070103 will not prompt on the screen.
Configuring Proxy Server settings
- Press Windows key +R and type cmd in the dialogue box and press enter to open the command prompt
- Type netsh winhttp show proxy into the prompt.
- You should be able to view your proxy server settings but if you receive a message indicating Direct Access (no proxy server).
- In this case press Windows + R key and type cmd in the dialogue box. Once the command prompt is open, type sfc/scannow and hit enter.
- Wait till the scanning gets completed, doing this will help you to automatically check any issues in Windows OS.
- Restart the PC and look out if the Windows update error 80070103 has gone or not.
If there are more such problems you are willing to solve and looking out for a proper solution to fix it. Devicetricks are always acquainted and capable to solve these kinds of problems in any gadgets such as computers and mobiles. If you like the post and it has helped you in fixing your problems please like, share and follow our Facebook page to be in touch with our new upcoming guides.