Error Code 0x80070002 or 0x80070003 occurred! Sounds like your problem? Folks you are not alone to encounter these errors. These issues are quite common and faced by almost every one of us. Here, in this article, I will walk you through the solutions to Fix Windows Update Error 0x80070002 and 0x80070003. Before going to the solution part lets see what these errors are and what are the causes behind these errors? Keep reading!
What does Windows Update Error 0x80070002 mean?
0x80070002 is a reference code of an error that occurs mostly when you check for any available Windows update or upgrading with another version of OS on your laptop or desktop. The issue is quite common among the Windows user and due to the same, they failed to access the features of the Windows OS properly.
When you’re trying to install updates on Windows 10 then there are chances that you may get this error code. However, the update started to download but it will either fail immediately, uninstall itself, or restart your computer finally it will fail and uninstall. The following error message will appear on your screen while facing this error:
An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer. Error(s) found: Code 80070002 Windows Update encountered an unknown problem.
So, if you are on the list and looking for a solution to resolve the issue, then you have landed at the right place.
Errors similar to the Windows Update Error 0x80070002
As you all are aware that this error is related to the Windows update, there are many other error codes reported by the users faced by them during the Windows updates. Some of them are listed as under:
- A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer
- Error Code 0x8024a105
Why Windows Update Error 0x80070002 and 0x80070003 occurs?
There can be various reasons behind this error. The most common and the probable causes behind the error are listed below:
- Date & Time is not set up properly.
- Anti-virus is not updated.
- Knowingly or unknowingly, the drive letter has been changed.
- Frequently shutting down your computer directly, by pressing the power button.
- The system is unable to update a few important files.
- Windows didn’t copy all the required file while updating the OS.
- Downloaded Update folder doesn’t contain all the required files.
- Terminating update process in the middle of the installation.
- Updating windows with its higher version.
- The particular software is not working fine.
- A recently installed software is causing the issue.
- Any important file has been deleted from the root folder of the software.
- Some other errors existing inside the Registry Editor.
- Microsoft Store is a culprit.
How to Fix Windows update error 0x80070002 and 0x80070003?
There are several ways to fix these error codes. The below-mentioned steps thoroughly describe the various methods with screenshots to fix the error:
Update Date and Time Settings in your system
One of the basic reasons for the Error code 0x80070002 is the faulty time and date settings. You need to check the existing format and make changes if required.
- Open your Control Panel directly by pressing Win+X+P together.
- Now short the “View by:” with “Small Icons” by clicking the dropdown list given beside the ‘View by’ option at the right top side of the opened windows. And then click on Date and Time.
- Click on Change Date and time.
- Modify the settings in the next window if required, else simply press OK.
- Now go back to the Date and Time Windows & then select Change time zone.
- In the next window, choose your preferred time zone by clicking the drop-down menu given with the time zone section and then press OK.
- Now click on Internet Time and then tap on Change settings.
- Check the box for “Synchronize with an Internet time server” and choose “time.windows.com” as a server. Now click on the OK button.
Stop Windows Update Service from the control panel
- Open Control Panel by pressing Win+X+P & move to the section ‘View by’. Now, click on the drop arrow and select ‘Small icons’. After completing the above task, you will find the list of Windows features, select ‘ Administrative Tools’.
- Click to Services.
- In the next window, you will get the list of Windows services and your job is to find out the Windows Update section. After getting the same, right-click on Windows Update and then choose an option ‘stop’ from the drop-down menu.
Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Press Win+X+S. A search bar will be opened. Now type troubleshooting and then click on below troubleshooting option.
- In the next step, navigate to “System and Security” and then click on “Fix problems with Windows Update”.
- Now you need to click on Next and then follow the instructions to complete the troubleshooting process to fix error code 0x80070002
Delete corrupted Windows Update files
- Open Windows Explorer by pressing Win+E key together and then open your C Drive.
- Double click on the Windows folder to open it.
- Now find the SoftwareDistribution folder and after getting the same, you will have to edit the file name and for that just click on it. You can add a word Old with the existing name or can replace it with some other name. You can even delete the folder if you want. It won’t harm your system in any way.
Modify Security Client Editor
To modify the security client editor just follow these steps and fix the error code 0x8007002:
- Open Service window by pressing Win+R keys together and type services.msc and press Enter.
- Search for the Windows Update File, Right-click on it and select Properties.
- The Windows Update Properties will pop up, just click General and select Automatic for Startup type. Now click the Start button and press Apply and OK to apply changes.
- Now close the window. Go back to the service window and click File from the menu to choose Exit.
- Open Windows Defender to download the update and click the Start button. Type Windows Defender in the search box and hit Enter.
- Now click on the Update button under the Update tab.
- Hopefully, the error should have resolved.
Modify Registry Editor Settings
- Open run command by pressing Win+R key.
- Type regedit inside the box and then click OK button.
- In next opened window, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and then SOFTWARE
- Now, inside the software folder, click on Microsoft.
- Expand the Microsoft folder and click on Windows and then click on CurrentVersion
- Look for WindowsUpdate below CurrentVersion drop-down menu. Now right click on WindowsUpdate and go with New >> Key.
- Now rename the newly created file with “OSUpgrade”.
Note: If you find an existing OSUpgrade file, no need to create it again.
- In the next step, right-click on the white space given below default file and then click on New >> DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Rename the recently created file with AllowOSUpgrade.
- Right-click on AllowOSUpgrade and choose Modify.
- Now add 1 as a value data and choose Hexadecimal as a Base and then click OK.
Check & Fix Disk Error
- Open command prompt by pressing Win+X+A
- To check the disk, type chkdsk /r and then hit enter. After finishing the process, enter Y to restart the system. The windows will automatically find and fix the errors.
Run DISM.exe from cmd to fix 0x80070002 error
- Open command prompt by pressing Win+X+A directly.
- In cmd window, type the command DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and press the Enter key. Restart your PC after completing the process.
Change Boot Options Settings
- Open MS Configuration window by pressing Win+R key and then type msconfig in the box and hit enter.
- Now check “Load System Services” & uncheck “Load Startup items” given below the ‘Selective Startup’ section.
- Now click on Services tab and check “Hide all Microsoft services” and then click on Disable all. And finally, press on Ok and then restart your system.
We hope you have fixed the Windows Update Errors 0x80070002 and 0x80070003 in your system by following the solutions given above. We would be happy to know which method helps you to resolve the issue. Wanna some more DeviceTricks? Stay tuned to this space to get latest updates on errors related to Windows, macOS and Android.
If you feel this article helpful, please like, share and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Leave a Reply