If you’re a Windows user, there’s a chance that you might have seen a number of different errors on your computer while installing updates. One of the most frequent errors among them is Error Code 0x8024a105.
If you face this error, it becomes a little difficult to fix it because it’s also missing from Windows’ official error code list. But don’t worry – we’re here to help you out with it, and here we’ll see how to fix this Windows update error easily. Let’s get started:
What is 0x8024a105 Windows Update error
Microsoft continuously updates Windows 10 to improve stability, security and add new functionality. But, sometimes the updates fail to download and users are shown error 0x8024a105. When it happens, the download is immediately aborted and users fail to install the update.
The reason behind 0x8024a105 Windows Update error
Usually, this error is caused by improper installation of any update, but some corrupted/missing files or problems with Windows Update service may also be the reasons behind it.
Fix 0x8024a105 Windows Update Error
Might be you are irritated by getting this message
“There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this, try searching the web or contacting support for help. This error code might help: (0x8024a105)”
Here we’ll take a look at how this error can be resolved. Let’s get started:
1] Check Your Internet Connection
The first and foremost thing is to check your internet connection. Check if the cables or connectors are connected properly and your current internet connection is fine.
If your internet is working fine then switch your internet connection. If you’re using a the internet over WIFI then try to connect to a wired connection, and if you’re using LAN connection then switch to WIFI. Once after you switching the connections, try to initiate Windows Update again.
This is a very common method and it usually works to fix Windows update error 0x8024a105.
After trying this if the issue still remains, then try one of the methods below.
2] Reboot Your Computer to Fix 0x8024a105 Error
In most cases merely rebooting the PC resolves this issue. So, you can go for this basic step and the process is very simple:
- Press the Start key on your keyboard
- Click on the Power button
- Now click Restart.
- Thereafter, the Windows will start updating and soon you will get rid of this issue.
However, if the error still persists, follow the advanced methods listed below.
3] Access Windows Update Troubleshooter to fix Error Code 0x8024a105
Windows 10 comes with an inbuilt troubleshooter that can scan and fix all the issues arising in your PC by itself, so the next step you can take is using this tool to resolve the 0x8024a105 Windows 10 update error. The process for the same is given below:
- Click on the Start button.
- Navigate to Settings by clicking the gear icon located above the Power button.
- The Windows settings page will now open and here you will find several options. Move to the Update and Security section.
- Now you’ll be taken to the Windows Update page. On this page, you’ll find a panel on the left side, and that panel will have a Troubleshoot Click on it.
- Click Windows Update on the Troubleshoot screen, and then click Run the troubleshooter.
- Now sit back and watch as Windows scans and fixes the issue itself.
4] Wipeout Software Distribution Files
If your problem is persisting even after following the steps outlined above, perhaps you need to take some more advanced steps. There’s a software distribution folder in your computer that stores the Windows Update files temporarily as they’re downloaded. If some of them are corrupted, it may be causing the error code 0x8024a105. Deleting them and re-downloading the update files may help you get rid of this error. Given below is how you can delete them:
- First of all, you need to stop Windows Update and other services related to it. Navigate to the Windows Search bar located in your PC’s taskbar and type CMD. After you see Command Prompt app in search results, right-click on it and choose run as administrator.
- Soon, a command box will appear on the screen. Type net stop bits and hit the Enter key.
- Next, type net stop wuauserv in the command box and hit Enter.
- Next command to type net stop appidsvc. Type it and press the Enter key.
- Finally, type this last command: net stop cryptsvc. Type it and hit Enter.
Now you’ve successfully stopped Windows Update and all its related services. You can close the Command prompt window now. You can now delete the files that were downloaded by Windows update, and the steps of doing so are given below:
- Close the command prompt, and open the Run dialogue box by pressing Windows Key and R key simultaneously.
- In the Run dialogue box that appears next, type C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and press Enter key. This will open the Windows Update folder on your PC.
- Now select all the files present in the folder and delete them.
Bravo, you have reached the half-mile and now you need to restart the Windows Update and other services. Follow the steps given below to do that:
- Open a command prompt window in the administrative mode as you had opened earlier. In the command box, type following commands one by one and make sure to press the Enter key after entering every command.
- Net start bits
- Net start wuauserv
- Net start appidsvc
- Net start cryptsvc
That’s it. You’ve deleted all pre-downloaded Windows update files and restarted the update service. Now just restart your computer one time and most probably the error will be gone.
5] Enable Windows Modules Installer Service
Still facing Windows update error 0x8024a105? Well, we still have an option that you can try to fix the problem. Windows Modules Installer Service is the service that ensures smooth installation, modification, and removal of Windows updates. If this service is disabled or not running properly, it may be another reason why you may be facing problems in downloading and installing Windows updates. So we can try enabling it to see if it makes any difference, and here are the steps to do so:
- Right-click the Start button and choose Computer Management.
- A new window will appear on the screen. Double-click on Services and Applications option in that window.
- Double-click Services.
- Now you’ll find all Services of Windows listed in the window. Scroll down and navigate to Windows Modules Installer.
- Once you find it, right-click the Windows Module Installer option and select Properties.
- Now move to the Startup type option and choose Manual or Automatic from the drop-down arrow and hit the OK button.
- Finally, check below Service status section whether the service is running or not. If it is showing stopped, click on the Start button to start it.
6] Employ the DISM Tool to fix Error Code 0x8024a105
Since the Windows update error 0x8024a105 can be caused by corrupted files, you should also try employing the DISM tool as a fix.
- Run the Command Prompt (or PowerShell) as administrator.
- In the CMD, type the following command:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
- The DISM tool will attempt to scan the system files for corruption and resolve the existing issues.
Once it’s done, restart your PC and try to run Windows Update again.
7] Install Windows Update Manually
Finally, if you’re still facing error code 0x8024a105 despite trying all the methods given above, the last thing you can do about it is downloading and installing the updates manually. To perform this task, you must know the system type which you are using and they are usually of two types: x64 or x86. The system type is quite essential because it will help you to choose the update file for the correct system. Don’t worry if you don’t know it – we’re outlining the steps of everything below:
- Type System Information in Windows search bar and press the Enter key.
- A new window will now open and it will show the details of your PC. Move to the System Type section and note down the type of your system (i.e. x64 or x86).
- Now you can download the update files directly from the official website of Microsoft Update Catalog. Just bookmark that page for easy access later.
- Find the update that you want to download by searching its download code i.e. (KB4056892) on the Update Catalog site.
- Once you search for the update using download code, you’ll be shown the link to download it in search results. Click on it, and download the right file as per your System Type that you noted earlier.
- After downloading the file, go to the download folder and double click on it to install. Follow the instructions on the screen, and you’ll be done.
8] Reset Catroot2 Folder
If none of the methods listed above worked, try to reset the Catroot2 folder.
The process is similar to the one with the Software Distribution folder [as mentioned in Method 4].
- Start the Command Prompt as an administrator.
- In CMD window, type the following commands:
net stop cryptsvc
- Delete all the files in your Catroot2 folder.
- Find it using the Run command (Windows Key + R) and type the following:
NOTE: Remember not to delete or rename the catroot2 folder, just delete all the files found inside the folder.
- Open the Command Prompt as administrator and type the following command:
net start cryptsvc
- Reboot your system and try to update your windows once again. Hopefully, this will fix your error.
So these were 8 effective solutions to fix the Windows Update error 0x8024a105. However, if you need any further assistance or want to give feedback, feel free to post in the comments box. Also, stay connected for more Windows related tips and tricks. To get regular updates regarding our posts, you can follow our Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn platforms.