Are you facing an error code 0x800705b4 on your Windows system? You can come across the error code 0x800705b4 issue mainly in two possible situations. The first and foremost reason is Windows update error 0x800705b4. You can come across this error when you are updating your computer, and this will not allow you to update until you fix it. The other situation is while having issues with Windows Defender as it is crashing or not running due to the error code 0x800705b4. You are not alone; we are here to help you out with possible solutions for Windows update error 0x800705b4. Before going to solutions know about what is error code 0x800705b4 and symptoms & causes of Windows update error code 0x800705b4.
What is Error Code 0x800705b4
Error code 0x800705b4 commonly occurs on Windows computers and the same code appears with different error messages in different circumstances. The error code 0x800705b4 is a hexadecimal data format that is common on Microsoft Windows to display errors. You have to fix the error code 0x800705b4 because your computer may cause data loss, slowdown, or crashes.
Symptoms & Causes: Windows Update Error Code 0x800705b4
Sometimes, Windows updates will not work and fail to install updates into your system. The Windows update error 0x800705b4 appears with an error message like “There was some problem in installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x800705b4)”.
- If the registry error happens, it will result in Windows update error 0x800705b4.
- When your system attacked with virus or malware, this will leads to error code 0x800705b4.
- The operating system failed to update by itself causes Windows update error 0x800705b4.
- If Windows system files corrupted or damaged also causes Windows update error 0x800705b4.
- The automatic update causes error code 0x800705b4 due to the update service is not configured properly.
Windows Update Error Code 0x800705b4: Solutions
There are two possible cases where you might be facing this error. One of them is if you’re having issues with Windows Defender, such as it is not working or crashing as and when, and if that is the case, you will find your solution here. The other case is if you’re having these issues with Windows Update. In this situation, just follow these practical steps to get rid of this error.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows 10 operating system comes with built-in troubleshooter to fix the issues itself. Running troubleshooter will not help to fix the issue for all the computers with this error but help to fix some of the systems. So, try this first solution to fix Windows update error 0x800705b4.
- Type settings on the Windows 10 taskbar as shown in the figure.
- On the new window, select Update and security.
- Here, on the next screen, navigate to the troubleshoot option from the left panel and select it.
- Now, on the right panel, select Windows Update and click on Run as Administrator. This makes troubleshooter work with administrative privileges to check and fix errors.
- Follow, on-screen instructions to find and fix the issues with Windows updates on your system.
- After completion of Windows update, restart your computer and try to run Windows updates. Hopefully, now the updates are installed without any Windows update error 0x800705b4.
Delete SoftwareDistribution Folder
Deleting the SoftwareDistribution folder will help to fix many issues, and Windows update error 0x800705b4 is one of them. SoftwareDistribution folder contains files which easily tend to corrupt. That corrupt file makes your device work extremely violent which is one of the causes of Windows update error 0x800705b4.
- Firstly, restart your computer to delete the SoftwareDistribution folder.
- Navigate to file explorer option either from the desktop or from the Start menu and on the new window select local disk c:\.
- Navigate to the Windows folder, if it’s not visible, go to view option as shown in the image. From the list of options, uncheck the hidden items option.
- Now, you can see Windows folder on local disk c:\.
- Here, click on Windows > SoftwareDistribution. Now, click Ctrl + A keys from the keyboard to select all the files of the SoftwareDistribution folder. After clicking on the delete button on the menu keys to delete all the files. Some of the files may not delete easily, try to delete each file independently. Make sure that download and Delivery Optimization files or folders deleted completely.
- Finally, restart your computer and try again to Windows update. If the error persists go to the next solution.
Reset Windows Update Components
Mostly, when you upgrade your system from Windows 7, 8, 8.1 to Windows 10, everything works fine after a system upgrade. For some of the users, while performing the Windows update system throws an error code 0x800705b4. The direct Windows 10 installation users can also follow this solution as some of the users found this helpful to fix the error. On following below-steps, you can fix the error without going for a complete system install with Windows 10.
- Open the command prompt with admin privileges as shown in the figure.
- Now start typing each command and execute them using enter button.
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
- Your system has stopped all the above command services.
- Type del%alluserprofile%\ApplicationData\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat and press enter button.
- After execution of above command type cd/d %windir%\system32 and press enter button.
- Finally, you have to start all the bit files individually and after each command, press enter button.
- After execution of all the above commands, restart winshock with command netsh winsock reset and press enter button.
- Now, start the services that we have stopped earlier and after each command press enter button.
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
- After completion of starting the services, now try Windows update. Now, it should install updates without any error.
Above all solutions will surely help you to fix Windows update error 0x800705b4. If the problem persists, try resetting your system using Windows 10 installation CD or DVD. Do you have any doubts regarding the solutions steps or queries of your existing devices problems? Connect on the comment section, and we will get back to you at the earliest possible. If you feel this article helpful please like, share and follow our facebook page and keep visiting our website for such tutorials and guides.