Windows operating system is the popular OS amongst the users provided by Microsoft. Windows continuously offers updates to its users irrespective of the operating system to improve the system performance. Unlike other versions of Windows, Windows 10 also relies on certain services to run properly. However, some users reported that they are getting an issue ‘service registration is missing or corrupt Windows 10’. This is a common Windows problem and if you are on the same platform then don’t get annoyed as here, you will get effective and comprehensive solutions to hack this issue.
What is the “Service registration is missing or corrupt” Error in Windows 10?
Microsoft sends updates from time to time for the smooth and reliable functioning of Windows OS. Like, all other versions of Windows, Windows 10 also needs to be updated regularly.
These updates are a free service for the Windows OS from Microsoft that automates downloading and installing software updates through the Internet. The service includes the latest software updates for Windows, patches, service packs, as well as the antivirus products and latest driver updates for its hardware devices. Every update is an essential part of the system running on any Windows OS to fix bugs.
Most of the systems running on Windows 10 install these updates automatically. All these updates such as security updates, antivirus updates, and driver updates, are going to be installed automatically. At any point of time, if you have paused the update even for a short span, you may experience security issues, performance issues and the bugs will start affecting your system performance. That is the reason, why these updates being set to automatically by default. However, there is no way to choose any particular update of Windows.
Apart from this, you can choose only the time to install these updates. That is, you can schedule an update. As per the scheduled time, you will get a notification to reboot. This way you can avoid automatically rebooting your system without your confirmation.
Any system running on outdated OS is more likely to be affected by bugs, errors, crashes, and virus infections. However, if you are using the outdated operating system then there are chances that you may get an error message “Service registration is missing or corrupt”, as it is related to the Windows Update. This is a service registration error and the “Service registration is missing or corrupt” error is a common Windows Update error in Windows 10. While updating Windows there are chances to encounter errors due to various reasons such as Error code 0x80070002, Windows update error 0x80240105, Windows update error 0x800705b4 etc.
This error may prevent Windows OS and all its Universal Apps from any further update.
Why Windows Update is showing service registration is missing or corrupt?
There are various reasons behind the “Service registration is missing or corrupt” error. If your operating system registry is damaged/corrupted, or if there is any incompatible software installed on your system, then also this error may occur.
Windows Updates is one of the features of Windows 10, which regularly updates the applications, services, and much more in a course of time and enables the users to access the OS smoothly. Sometimes, the system might be unable to install these required updates and encounter this error.
However, if you have changed the Windows Update settings from Automatic to Manual and forgot to update Windows 10, then this might be one of the reasons behind an error ‘service registration is missing or corrupt Windows 10’.
How to fix service registration is missing or corrupt?
Windows 10 offers Windows Troubleshooter whose prime goal is to detect the issue and fix it at an immediate effect. So at such times, it is advisable to use Windows Update troubleshooter to fix this error. Most of the errors can be fixed using the Windows Update troubleshooter. But Windows Update troubleshooter itself also is unable to fix this error.
In such cases, you have to fix it on your own. For fixing this error you need to be technically a little bit sound because the fix needs some registry level troubleshooting. Don’t panic, we are here to help you out. You can use these methods to fix the error.
Delete the Threshold Option value from the Registry Editor
This is a method that will help you to repair the system registry and removing the values will fix the above-said issue. But, before moving ahead, make sure you retain the backup of the registry. Now follow the steps listed beneath and apply it effectively.
- Open Run dialog box and the procedure for the same is easy, just press the ‘Windows’ key and ‘R’ key simultaneously.
- Now, type ‘regedit’ in the box and click on the ‘OK’ button.
- After that, you will find Registry Editor on the screen, now locate ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES and after finding the same, click on the arrow button to expand its features.
- From the list of featured options of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES, select ‘SOFTWARE’ and further click on the arrow key to get access in the ‘Microsoft folder.
- In the ‘Microsoft’ folder, you will get several options, scroll down the page and select ‘Windows SelfHost’. Now, click on the arrow key and select ‘Applicability’.
- After clicking on the ‘Applicability’ folder, you will get a few additional files on the right panel. Navigate for the ThresholdOptedln value and then delete the same.
- That’s it, now close the Registry Editor.
Turn Off Windows Defender
Sometimes, Windows Defender prevents the applications to update properly and as a result, an issue ‘service registration is missing or corrupt’ arises. So, disable Windows Defender temporarily to resolve an issue.
- Click on the ‘Start’ menu and type ‘Control Panel’ in the search bar and after that hit ‘Enter’.
- Thereafter, a new window will open and it will show several options, select ‘Windows Firewall’ from the list.
- After that, you will be directed to another page and it will show the features of the Windows Firewall. Take a glance at the left end of the page and here, you will get an option ‘Turn Windows Defender Firewall ON or Off, click on it.
- Thereafter, you will be directed to the customized settings of the Firewall. Now, click on the button ‘Turn Off Windows Defender Firewall’ and further click on the ‘OK’ button.
Reset Microsoft Store Cache
The next method is to reset the Microsoft Store cache. Execute the command wsreset.exe command, to restart Microsoft Store and clear the app’s cache. I personally tried this method and it really helped me to fix the error. Here is the way, Go to the Search option, type “wsreset.exe” and press Enter. This process will now restart the Windows Store apps and clear the stored app’s cache.
Reset Windows Configuration and Settings using Command Prompt
This method is used to reset some Windows configurations and settings using the command prompt. Follow these steps to use Command Prompt to fix the error:
- Open Power User menu by pressing Windows + X key together. Select Command Prompt from the menu.
- Once the Command Prompt opens, type the following commands one after the other and press Enter after each command:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- At last, close Command Prompt and check if the error still exists or not.
Reinstall the .NET Files
The .NET file extension (netViz Project File) is a set of programs that enable data visualization in Windows. Many of the operations would not be able to work on your operating system without .NET files. Here we will show you how to reinstall/refresh these files to fix the “Service registration is missing or corrupt” error.
- Head to Control Panel and set your menu view to “View by Category”. Find “Programs” and click it.
- From the Programs window, click on the “Turn Windows features on or off” under “Programs and Features”.
Here you will find a list of all features.
- Uncheck all the checkboxes belong to the “.NET” keyword. By unchecking these boxes you will be able to uninstall .NET files. This process might take some time.
- Lastly, click “OK” when finished the uninstalling process to save all changes.
Again go back to the same window and check for all of the boxes that you have unchecked earlier to reinstall the .NET files. Now reboot your system once the installation is complete to check the “Service registration is missing or corrupt” error.
Run SFC Command to repair the system files
The error service registration is missing or corrupt can appear anytime on your screen if the system files are damaged or corrupted. So, you must fix these files with the inbuilt tool of Windows 10, i.e. SFC. Now, follow the steps listed below and execute it effectively.
- Press the ‘Start’ key and then type ‘Command prompt’ in the search bar.
- Now, highlight the Command Prompt which you got from the search result and then right-click on it to choose an option ‘Run as an administrator’.
- In the command box, type ‘sfc/scannow’ and make sure to exclude the inverted comma.
- After typing the command, hit the Enter button and allow Windows to repair the system files.
Enable Windows Update Services
The error service registration is missing or corrupt is stating that the Windows Update Services are stopped and you need to start those services again to get rid of this issue. There are few services in which you need to perform the action and for your convenience, the steps are listed beneath.
- Press the ‘Windows’ key and ‘R’ key simultaneously to open the ‘Run’ dialog box.
- Now, type ‘services.msc’ in the box and hit the Enter button.
- Thereafter, Services page will appear on the screen, scroll down the page and select an option ‘Windows Update’.
- After selecting an option ‘Windows Update’, right-click on it and choose the option ‘properties’ from the drop-down menu.
- Soon, a new window will open and it will show various tabs, click on ‘General’ located at the top of the page and move to the ‘Startup type’.
- In the ‘Startup type,’ you will find the feature is ‘Manual’ and your job is to keep it in ‘Automatic’ mode. Select an option from the drop-down menu.
- However, if you see the service status in stopped mode, then click on the ‘Start’ button.
- After completing the task, click on the ‘Apply’ button and further click on the ‘OK’ button.
- Now, close the ‘Windows Update Properties’ box.
Enable Background Intelligent Transfer Service
- Open the ‘Run’ box as described in the above method.
- Type ‘services.msc’ in the box and click on the ‘OK’ button.
- Now, select ‘Background Intelligent Transfer Service’ from the Service window.
- After selecting that option, right-click on it and select ‘Properties’.
- Now, move to the ‘Startup type’ and keep it on ‘Automatic mode’.
- However, if the service status is showing stopped, then click on the ‘Start’ button.
Run DISM Scan
DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) can be used to repair and prepare Windows images, Windows Recovery Environment, Windows Setup, and Windows PE. Here is the way to run a DISM scan:
- Open Command Prompt window as administrator and type the following command:
“DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth“.
- Press Enter to execute it.
Once the DISM scan process is finished successfully check for the error.
Check if certain services are running
”Service registration is missing or corrupt” error on Windows 10, might be fixed by checking if the required services are running. Just follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + R together to open the Run box and enter services.msc. Press Enter or click OK.
- Locate the Windows Update service in the services window. Double Click to open its properties.
- In the Startup type section, select Automatic from the menu. And In the service status section, click the Start button. After that click Apply and hit OK to save changes.
- Now repeat the same steps for the Background Intelligent Transfer Service and Cryptographic Service.
This is the simplest solution to fix this error. To run wsreset follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + R together to open Run and type wsreset.exe.
- Press Enter or click OK and wait for the process to finish.
Create a new user account
Just give a try to fix Service registration is missing or corrupt error by creating a new user account. So, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app and head to Accounts.
- Then click to Family & other users.
- Now click on Add someone else to this PC button.
- Then click on I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.
- Further click Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- Just enter the name of the new user you want to create. After this, click the Next button.
- Once after creating a new user, switch over to it and check for the error.
- If the error doesn’t appear on this new user account, then move all your personal files and switch to this user permanently.
These were the effective solutions to fix an issue ‘service registration is missing or corrupt Windows 10’. However, if the issue still persists, then call us immediately to get an instant solution. Our techies will guide you and will assist you in all possible manners to fix the above-said issue. We offer services 24*7, so you can contact us anytime for an effective solution against any issue of the Windows Operating System. If you feel this article helpful please like, share and follow our Facebook page and keep visiting our website for such tutorials and guides.