The msvcp140.dll is a visual studio file of Visual C++ Redistributable. However, the complete package is important to run the C++ applications. Hence, msvcp140.dll missing is possible due to various reasons. You need not worry about the unwanted situations that caused to you, go through the below solutions to fix the issue yourself.
Initially, you need to get to know about msvcp140.dll and later we can go through the how-to-fix msvcp140.dll is missing error.
What is msvcp140.dll?
The msvcp140.dll is Dynamic Link Library file is one of the files from the Microsoft Visual C++ which will give instructions to few applications on which actions they have to execute. There are so many applications that are developed by using Visual C++. In addition to it, the DLL files will share the components that are useful to various applications/programs. The components are launched only when the program needs it to save the memory space.
There are so many computer games that depend on Visual C++. If msvcp140.dll file is missing from your computer then all these games will fail to start. Size of this file is 626 KB and it is installed with the Microsoft C++ Runtime Library and located in the System32 folder.
There are various other errors also which are related to the DLL files such as vcruntime140.dll is missing, opencl.dll is missing, openal32.dll is missing, binkw32.dll is missing. If the DLL file is missing or corrupted, then you can fix it by using these easy to execute steps. Before that let’s see how this error looks and what are the reasons behind this error?
Different error messages related to msvcp140.dll is missing
You might have faced this error when launching any game or program on your computer. This major error usually sees while accessing some of the programs which require msvcp140.dll to complete the operations. Nevertheless, it will always aware that you have a DLL file missing. The common error messages received during this error are as follows:
“The program can’t start because MSVCP140.dll is missing from your computer. try reinstalling the program to fix the problem”.
“The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCP140.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.”
Msvcp140.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error
There was a problem starting msvcp140.dll
If you are also facing this error then let us see why this error code happens?
How to Fix msvcp140.dll is Missing Error?
You have to follow the below solutions one by one to fix the msvcp140.dll missing error.
Search Recycle Bin
Most of the times, you may delete the msvcp140.dll file accidentally. So, you have to check the system recycle bin initially to get back the file.
- Open Recycle Bin.
- Search for msvcp140.dll file in the search box.
- From the results, click on the required file and tap on the restore option.
- The file will be restored to the actual position.
- Hope the issue is resolved and you will not see the msvcp140.dll missing error further.
Install the MSVCP140.DLL file
If MSVCP140.DLL is missing from your computer and you are facing any error due to this, you can fix this error by simply installing the missing file from the official website. To do so follow these steps:
- Search to download msvcp140.dll on the internet and then after getting a trusted site, search inside the panel for msvcp140.dll. Once you get, click to download the file.
- After downloading the required file, just click the zip folder to open it.
- Now, click on the Install button. You may ask to register the program for Installing the file.
- Restart the computer and check for the error.
Re-Install the Program
If you are facing the msvcp140.dll missing error consistently even after applying some of the solutions, the reason for the error is due to the program. You have to perform the complete re-installation of the program to fix the issue.
- Go to the control panel from the start button.
- Under Programs, you can see uninstall a program option. Just click on it.
- On the next window, choose the program that causing the error and click on the uninstall button.
- You have to wait till the completion of un-installation of the program.
- Now, go to the folder that your program is already present. Click on the program file, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
- Restart your system and try to perform the task that previously caused you the msvcp140.dll missing error. Hope, you are not facing the issue.
Copy the file from a trusted computer
You can fix the error by copying the required file from another computer in the working state.
- Find another computer which is running on the same OS and configuration as of yours.
- On that computer open File Explorer.
- Now go to C:\Windows\System32 and copy the msvcp.dll file from there.
- Now open File Explorer in your computer and then paste the file in the same location.
- Restart the computer and check for the error.
Run SFC Scan
To find the errors in your system do the SFC scan. Follow below instructions to complete the scan and it automatically fixes the error. If the scan didn’t restore the file, move on to the next solutions.
- Click on the Windows key from the keyboard. Search for command prompt.
- Right-click on the command prompt and choose run as administrator option.
- Type SFC /scannow and click on the enter button to execute the command.
- You have to wait until the completion of the scan and restoration process.
- Later, restart your system. Hope you can access the program that previously caused error without any issues.
Run Virus Scan
The virus or malware present in your system also causes the msvcp140.dll missing error. You have to perform the antivirus scan to remove the threats present in your system.
- Open antivirus program in your system and choose the full scan/deep scan option.
- You have to wait until the completion of the complete scan.
- If you find any threats, check them and delete them completely. If you find the msvcp140.dll file is infected with a virus it’s better to remove it too.
- Download the msvcp140.dll file and follow the steps as shown in replace msvcp140.dll missing file.
Replace msvcp140.dll missing File
Sometimes, none of the solution works, so you have to replace the simple DLL file to fix the issue. You have to be cautious while performing this solution as deletion or making any changes to other files will result in further more issues in your system.
Perform the steps that are given in the steps below, in case of doubt post the query with a detailed explanation. We will revert to you at the earliest possible.
- Go to Start, search for Computer, and then open Local Disc (C) > Windows > System32 location.
- Paste the msvcp140.dll file downloaded from the browser to the system32 folder.
- Next, navigate to the Local Disc (C) > Windows > syswow64 folder and Paste the msvcp140.dll file into that folder.
- Press Windows+Run button and type regsvr32 msvcp140.dll in the run window. Later press enter button or OK button to run the file.
- Lastly, restart your computer to apply all the changes in your system.
Note: Don’t download the DLL files from unknown websites as it brings virus/malware into your system. Download msvcp140.dll file from the trusted site to not get your system into adverse effects.
Re-install C++ Redistributable Package
msvcp140.dll not found error is common in some of the systems. You have to re-install the C++ redistributable package to get the correct DLL files.
- You have to download the latest C++ redistributable package.
- Open the package file and give appropriate permissions to start the installation.
- You have to follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.
- You have to restart your system and try to open the program that causing the msvcp140.dll missing error. Hope, the issue is fixed completely.
Conclusion: MSVCP140.dll Missing Error
These were the effective solutions tested by us and the users to fix this issue. Let us know in the comment section which method worked for you? Wanna some more DeviceTricks? Stay tuned to this space to get latest updates on the errors related to Windows, Mac and Android.
If you feel this article helpful please like, share and follow our Facebook page.