The msvcp140.dll is a visual studio file of Visual C++ Redistributable. However, the complete package is important to run the C++ applications. Hence, msvcp140.dll missing is possible due to various reasons. You need not worry about the unwanted situations that caused to you, go through the below solutions to fix the issue yourself.
Initially, you need to get to know about msvcp140.dll and later we can go through the how-to-fix msvcp140.dll missing error.
What is msvcp140.dll?
The msvcp140.dll is Dynamic Link Library which will give instructions to few applications on which actions they have to execute. In addition to it, the DLL files will share the components that are useful to variant applications/programs. The components are launched only when the program needs it to save the memory space.
“The program can’t start because msvcp140.dll is missing from your computer or vcruntime140.dll is missing.”
The above is the major error people usually see while accessing some of the programs which require msvcp140.dll to complete the operations.
Follow the below solutions and in case you didn’t fix the issue, you can drop us a query in the comment section. We will get back to you with a suitable answer that surely fixes your issue.
How to Fix msvcp140.dll Missing Error
You have to follow the below solutions one by one to fix the msvcp140.dll missing error.
1. Search Recycle Bin
Most of the times, you may delete the msvcp140.dll file accidentally. So, you have to check the system recycle bin initially to get back the file.
- Open recycle bin.
- Search for msvcp140.dll file in the search box.
- From the results, click on the required file and tap on the restore option.
- The file will be restored to the actual position.
- Hope the issue is resolved and you will not see the msvcp140.dll missing error further.
2. Virus Scan
The virus or malware present in your system also causes the msvcp140.dll missing error. You have to perform the antivirus scan to remove the threats present in your system.
- Open antivirus program in your system.
- Choose the full scan/deep scan option.
- You have to wait until the completion of the complete scan.
- If you find any threats, check them and delete them completely. If you find the msvcp140.dll file is infected with a virus it’s better to remove it too.
- Download the msvcp140.dll file and follow the steps as shown in replace msvcp140.dll missing file.
3. Install Program
If you are facing the msvcp140.dll missing error consistently even after applying some of the solutions, the reason for the error is due to the program. You have to perform the complete re-installation of the program to fix the issue.
- Go to the control panel from the start button.
- Under programs, you can see uninstall a program option.
- On the next window, choose the program that causing the error and click on the uninstall button.
- You have to wait till the completion of un-installation of the program.
- Now, go to the folder that your program is already present. Click on the program file, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
- Restart your system and try to perform the task that previously caused you the msvcp140.dll missing error. Hope, you are not facing the issue.
4. Re-install C++ Redistributable Package
msvcp140.dll not found error is common in some of the systems. You have to re-install the C++ redistributable package to get the correct DLL files.
- You have to download the latest C++ redistributable package.
- Open the package file and give appropriate permissions to start the installation.
- You have to follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.
- You have to restart your system and try to open the program that causing the msvcp140.dll missing error. Hope, the issue is fixed completely.
5. SFC Scan
To find the errors in your system do the SFC scan. Follow below instructions to complete the scan and it automatically fixes the error. If the scan didn’t restore the file, move on to the next solutions.
- Click on the Windows key from the keyboard. Search for command prompt.
- Right-click on the command prompt and choose run as administrator option.
- Type SFC /scannow and click on the enter button to execute the command.
- You have to wait until the completion of the scan and restoration process.
- Later, restart your system. Hope you can access the program that previously caused error without any issues.
6. Replace msvcp140.dll missing File
Sometimes, none of the solution works, so you have to replace the simple DLL file to fix the issue. You have to be cautious while performing this solution as deletion or making any changes to other files will result in further more issues in your system.
Perform the steps that are given in the steps below, in case of doubt post the query with a detailed explanation. We will revert to you at the earliest possible.
- Go to Start, search for Computer, and open it.
- Open Local Disc (C) > Windows > System32.
- Paste the msvcp140.dll file downloaded from the browser to the system32 folder.
- Next, navigate to the Local Disc (C) > Windows > syswow64 folder.
- Paste the msvcp140.dll file into the above folder.
- Press Windows+Run button and type regsvr32 msvcp140.dll in the run window. Later press enter button or ok button to run the file.
- Lastly, restart your computer to apply all the changes in your system.
Note: Don’t download the DLL files from unknown websites as it brings virus/malware into your system. Download msvcp140.dll file from the trusted site to not get your system into adverse effects.
Conclusion: MSVCP140.dll Missing Error
You need not worry much regarding msvcp140.dll missing error as the above solution steps help you to fix it. In case of any queries, you can get in touch with us through the comment section. Always our team is ready to solve your queries with detailed explanation. You can follow us through Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook, etc to get regular updates and to not miss any of our posts.