When opening an app or program on your Windows computer, if you have encountered VCRUNTIME 140.dll is missing error, then you can troubleshoot or fix this error. This is an error that occurs on Microsoft Windows computers. Usually, the error occurs after the installation of a Windows update or when a program is not installed successfully. Users encounter any of these error messages on their computer screen during this error
The program can’t start because VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
The code execution cannot proceed because VCRUNTIME140.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.
In this guide, today I will walk you through the methods to fix this error. But prior to that let’s understand what is the error, why this error occurs?
What is VCRUNTIME 140.dll?
DLL stands for Dynamic Link Library which is a crucial file to run any system, it is a file that encloses many codes, and operational instructs to run an ideal system systematically. In a fully functional system, multiple programs share the data simultaneously, and hence it is named as Dynamic because in this way the stored data can be shared as and when required. To run such VCRUNTIME 140.dll files other codes have to be called.
Why VCRUNTIME 140.dll is Missing error occurs?
The main error start showing up when,
- These .dll files have updated to a new version or Removed from the computer
- Windows has updated recently.
- An application or program has not installed successfully.
- Any of the C++ package components have been removed accidentally, or corrupted or fails to function.
Due to its absence, the programs which are entirely dependent on these .dll files might fail to get open or will not work properly. This a common error faced by Windows 10 and Windows 7 and has full chances to be get fixed.
How to fix VCRUNTIME 140.dll is missing error in Windows 10/7?
There are numerous methods to fix this error. Unfortunately, many users often download the vcruntime140.dll file from unknown and unsafe sites which is very risky and not recommended. I myself have faced this issue on my Windows computer and I am sharing these methods to fix this error on behalf of my personal experience. Try these methods one by one down the list until your error is not fixed.
Check the Recycle bin
Sometimes accidentally, some of the important files may be deleted that play a crucial role in running the programs. To restore them back go to Recycle bin and execute the below steps:-
- Type VCRUNTIME 140.dll in the search box.
- Right-click on the file and select the restore option.
Re-register VCRUNTIME 140.dll file
In this method, you need to search for the missing file in the search box and simply re-register it by using the command prompt.
- Run the Command prompt program as an administrator.
- Now type regsvr32 vcruntime 140.dll and hit Enter.
Repair the installed Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package
- Go to the Control Panel and navigate to Programs and Features section.
- Look out for Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable from the drop-down list. Right–click on it to select the “change” option.
- When a modify window will pop-up and finally click on “Repair” to repair it.
- Restart the system and check whether the application is working or not.
Download and install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package
- Press Windows+R key altogether to open the Run program and type Control panel. To open the program hit Enter.
- Select the System and Security category to get into System program.
- In the listed down programs under System and Security category, select the System to review the status of the computer.
- In the System, Windows looks out specifically for the system operating bit-value. Looking at the value you got the idea which Microsoft Visual C++ package you have to download. In my case, I have to download Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 X 64.
- Download the Microsoft Visual C++ package from the official site of Microsoft by following the link.
- Select the specific system operating bit-value and hit the Next button.
- Run the installer file as an administrator. Follow the Installation Wizard Instruction and finish the process. Restart the computer and check whether the VCRUNTIME 140.dll missing error has gone.
Reinstall the affected Program
- First, uninstall the program by pressing Windows+R key all together to open the RUN program. Type appwiz.cpl and hit Enter to open the Programs and Features section.
- In the opened window locate the program you want to uninstall and right–click on it to uninstall the program.
- Once uninstalled, again re-installed the program and check for the VCRUNTIME 140.dll missing error.
Run SFC Scan
To restore the corrupted files scan the entire system by sending a command on command prompt.
- Search Command prompt in the search box and run it as Administrator.
- In the command prompt window type “sfc/scannow” and hit Enter to run the scan.
- Wait until the process is complete once done restart the computer and look the VCRUNTIME 140.dll missing error is solved or not.
Sometimes due to missing VCRUNTIME 140.dll file SFC scan is not completed in this case one has to run DISM before running the SFC scan. DISM stands for Deployment Image Servicing and Management which is used in repairing and preparing Windows Images, setups and recovery environment.
- To run it just type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and hit Enter to execute it.
Copy VCRUNTIME140.dll from a trusted computer
This error can be fixed by just copying a new dll file to your computer. Before starting the process, you need to arrange a working computer with the same variant of the Windows system as yours with the latest system updates installed on it. Then follow these steps:
- On that second computer, press Windows+E keys to open File Explorer and go to C:\Windows\System32. Here you will find a VCRUNTIME140.dll file.
- Copy that file and paste it into the same location (C:\Windows\System32) on your computer which is facing the error.
- Restart the computer and check for the error.
A missing VCRUNTIME 140.dll file or any other .exe file limits the application and launching of some mainstream software. Further, in order to fix it on a priority basis, one will look out for a troubleshooting method that is made easily available by Devicetricks. Follow us on our Facebook page to stay tuned with some more interesting tutorials.