If you encounter with VCRUNTIME 140.dll is missing in Windows 10/7 not to worry Devicetricks has come up with some easy to fix methods on your own. But prior to that let’s understand what is the error, what is the root cause of the error, and how to fix them.
- 1 What is VCRUNTIME 140.dll
- 1.1 The common reasons for VCRUNTIME 140.dll is missing error
- 1.2 How to fix VCRUNTIME 140.dll is missing error in Windows 10/7
- 1.3 Troubleshooting methods
- 1.3.1 Download and install the latest version of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package.
- 1.3.2 Reinstalling the Program which you are trying to launch
- 1.3.3 Search for the missing VCRUNTIME 140.dll file in the system and re-register it
- 1.3.4 Check the Recycle bin to look out for the missing VCRUNTIME 140.dll file
- 1.3.5 Run the SFC scan to restore the corrupted files
- 1.3.6 Repair the installed Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package
- 2 Conclusion
What is VCRUNTIME 140.dll
DLL stands for Dynamic Link Library which is a crucial file to run any system, it is a file that encloses many codes, and operational instructs to run an ideal system systematically. In a fully functional system, multiple programs share the data simultaneously and hence it is named as Dynamic because by this way the stored data can be shared as and when required. To run such VCRUNTIME 140.dll files other codes has to be called.
The common reasons for VCRUNTIME 140.dll is missing error
The main error start showing up when,
- These .dll files have updated to a new version or
- Removed from the computer
- Windows has updated recently
- An application or program have not installed successfully
- Any of the C++ package components have been removed accidentally, or corrupted or fails to function.
Due to its absence, the programs which are entirely depended on these .dll files might fail to get open or will not work properly. This a common error faced by Windows 10 and Windows 7 and has full chances to be get fixed.
How to fix VCRUNTIME 140.dll is missing error in Windows 10/7
- Download and install the latest version of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package from the Microsoft website.
- Reinstall the Program.
- Search for the missing VCRUNTIME 140.dll file in the system and re–register it.
- Check the Recycle bin to look out for the missing VCRUNTIME 140.dll file.
- Run the SFC scan to restore the corrupted files.
- Repair the installed Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package.
- Look out the new Windows Updates.
- Run the entire system on full scan to eliminate any malware.
Download and install the latest version of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package.
- Press Windows+R key altogether to open the Run program and type Control panel. To open the program hit Enter.
- Select the System and Security category to get into System program.
- In the listed down programs under System and Security category select the System to review the status of the computer.
- In the System, Windows looks out specifically for the system operating bit-value. Looking at the value you got the idea which Microsoft Visual C++ package you have to download. In my case, I have to download Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 X 64.
- Download the Microsoft Visual C++ package from the official site of Microsoft by following the link.
- Select the specific system operating bit-value and hit Next button.
- Run the installer file as an administrator. Follow the Installation Wizard Instruction and finish the process. Restart the computer and check whether the VCRUNTIME 140.dll missing error has gone.
Reinstalling the Program which you are trying to launch
- First, uninstall the program by pressing Windows+R key all together to open the RUN program. Type appwiz.cpl and hit Enter to open the Programs and Features section.
- In the opened window locate the program you want to uninstall and right–click on it to uninstall the program.
- Once uninstalled, again re-installed the program and check for the VCRUNTIME 140.dll missing error.
Search for the missing VCRUNTIME 140.dll file in the system and re-register it
- Search for the missing file in the search box and simply re-register it by using the command prompt. Run the Command prompt program as an administrator and type regsvr32 vcruntime 140.dll and hit Enter.
Check the Recycle bin to look out for the missing VCRUNTIME 140.dll file
- Sometimes accidentally, some of the important files may be deleted which play a crucial role in running the programs.
- To restore them back go to Recycle bin and type VCRUNTIME 140.dll in the search box. Right-click on the file and select the restore option.
Run the SFC scan to restore the corrupted files
- To restore the corrupted files scan the entire system by sending a command on command prompt.
- Search Command prompt in the search box and run it as Administrator.
- In the command prompt window type “sfc/scannow” and hit Enter to run the scan.
- Wait until the process is complete once done restart the computer and look the VCRUNTIME 140.dll missing error is solved or not.
- Sometimes due to missing VCRUNTIME 140.dll file SFC scan is not completed in this case one has to run DISM before running the SFC scan.
- DISM stands for Deployment Image Servicing and Management which is used in repairing and preparing Windows Images, setups and recovery environment.
- To run it just type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and hit Enter to execute it.
Repair the installed Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package
- Go to control panel and select Programs and Features section.
- Look out for Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable from the drop-down list. Right–click on it to select the “change” option.
- When a modify window will pop-up and finally click on “Repair” to repair it. Restart the system and check whether the application is working or not.
A missing VCRUNTIME 140.dll file or any other .exe file limits the application and launching of some mainstream software. Further, in order to fix it on a priority basis, one will look out for a troubleshooting method which is made easily available by Devicetricks. Follow us on our Facebook page to stay tuned with some more interesting tutorials.