In this guide, I will show you how to fix Err_Connection_Refused error while using the Chrome browser. Keep reading!
As days are going by, the Chrome browser is becoming popular day by day. Although it faces tough completion from Mozilla Firefox and other famous browsers, still you may consider the Chrome browser as one of the best browsers because of its straightforward interface and frequently updating nature.
Chrome browser comes with various amazing features, but along with all the fantastic features, you may sometimes face certain annoying errors while using Chrome. Although with each update some error gets fixed still some persists.
One such error that you often face while using Chrome includes the “Err_Connection_Refused” error. If you use Chrome regularly, you must have come across this problem at least once. But don’t worry, it is quite easy to fix if you follow the methods listed below.
What does Err_Connection_Refused mean?
As the world is moving faster towards the internet in each and every field, the chances of getting errors and issues are also increasing with this movement. There are so many errors encountered by users daily worldwide such as Err_Quic_Protocol_Error, Err_Name_Not_Resolved, Err_Connection_Reset, Err_Tunnel_Connection_Failed, etc. Though these errors can be encountered in any browser, most of the users reported in Chrome only. Like these errors, users reported one more error “Err_Connetion_Refused” faced in Chrome Browser.
Basically, when you are trying to visit any website with Google Chrome and if you receive the error message ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED, then it means that your try to connect with the webpage was refused. Sometimes this error message throws an error code 102 also. Here we are discussing Chrome doesn’t mean that this error is pertaining to Chrome only, however other browsers like Mozilla, Internet Explorer also receive this error message but might be with some different error code. This error is a client-side error that can be caused by various issues that we will discuss further.
Well, this error is often shown by the particular port with which you are trying to connect. In more simplistic words, Chrome is refusing your access to that site which you are attempting to connect or you can say that your Google Chrome browser can’t establish a connection with that page. However, sometimes this error may pop up due to glitch in that site too.
Why the Error Err_Connection_Refused appear on my screen?
Though there are various reasons for such errors. However, based on the users’ comments I have listed some most common reasons behind this error. These are as under:
- Outdated Browser
- DNS Cache issues
- Browser extensions creating issues
- Proxy Server Issues
- Incorrect Browser and System Settings
- Poor Internet Connection
- Cookies Issues
- Incorrect Firewall Settings
- Virus or Malware Infection
How to Fix Err_Connection_Refused error in Chrome?
There are various methods that you can follow to overcome this particular error. In this article, we will discuss the four most common tricks which will surely help you to overcome this problem. So, follow the methods described below:
Check the Website
As we have already discussed this error occurs especially when Chrome is unable to load the website. To fix this error the very first step is to check the status of that website. For that you can follow these simple steps:
- Check that some other websites are opening in the Chrome browser or not.
- Check whether the same website is opening on another browser or not.
- You can use an online tool also for checking the status of that website. Down for everyone or me is a service that shows the website status.
- Enter the site URL and press the “or just me?” button and wait for the results.
- If it shows that the site is down, then you need to wait until the website status is online and working fine again.
Restart the Router
It is one of the most common solutions to various errors. Some users reported this method helpful in fixing the error. Disconnect the router’s power supply by unplugging and wait at least 30 seconds and then reconnect. Now when the router boots up, attempt to access that same website again with the same browser. If the connection problem continues, then there might be some other reason.
Clear Chrome Browsing Data
This is also a straightforward method that surely helps you to overcome the Err_Connection_Refused error. So follow the steps as given below.
- Open the Chrome browser and click on the Setting option.
- At the bottom of the page, select the Advanced settings option.
- Navigate to the option of clear browsing data.
- Select the time range last 24 hrs or All-Time from all the alternatives given in the time range bar.
- Uncheck Browser History and Cookies and other site data options click on clear data option at the bottom right corner.
Change Chrome Proxy Settings
This method is even simpler than the above two methods so if you are still facing the problem by following the above two methods then you can try out this method. It contains very few steps to follow them carefully as mentioned below to overcome the Err_Connection_Refused error.
- Open the Chrome browser and go to the Settings option.
- Open the search bar and type the Proxy command, and press on the Open proxy settings option that will lead you to a network connection Popup window.
- Navigate to the Connection tab, and then go to the LAN settings option. However, in the latest version of Windows, you will be directly landed with the options given below in the next step.
- Uncheck or turn off the radio button for Automatically detect settings.
- Scroll down and check the box or turn on the radio button for Use a proxy server for your LAN option and press OK.
- Restart your computer and check for the error.
This is a straightforward method as you will only have to use a few commands in the Command Prompt to solve this issue. So follow the steps correctly as mentioned below:
- Open the Command Prompt with administrator rights.
- Type the command netsh winsock reset catalog and press Enter.
- Now type the command ipconfig/flushdns and press Enter. It flushes the local DNS cache.
- Restart the computer and check for the error.
So this is a useful method through which you can easily overcome the error with a few commands only. Still, if the problem persists after using this method follow the next method mentioned below.
Change DNS Address
Follow these steps:
- Open Control Panel and click on the Network and Internet option.
- Under the Network and Internet tab click on the Network and Sharing Center.
- Form the left pane of the next page, choose Change Adaptor Settings.
- Right-click your preferred network and choose Properties.
- From the new pop-up window select Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) and click on the Properties button.
- In the next pop-up window click on the option Obtain IP Address Automatically and Use the following DNS Server Addresses.
- Now Enter 184.108.40.206 in the Preferred DNS Address and 220.127.116.11 in the Alternate DNS Address and press Ok to confirm the changes.
- Restart the computer and check for the error.
Disable Chrome Extensions
If none of the methods worked for you then you need to disable the third-party extensions from the browser. Follow these steps to do so:
- Open Google Chrome browser and type the URL chrome://extensions in the address bar and press Enter.
- A list of all the extensions will appear and now move the slider to the left to disable the extensions one by one and check for the error after each.
Disable Windows Defender Firewall
This is the most straightforward method that includes only a few steps that you need to execute correctly to avoid Err_Connection_Refused error. So follow the steps properly as discussed below.
- Select the Windows Defender firewall option at the bottom left corner of the Network and Sharing Center window.
- Go to the Turn Windows Defender on or off option as shown in the picture.
- After entering the main firewall option, you will have to disable the firewall and press the OK button.
- Restart your computer and overcome the Err_Connection_Refused error.
Chances are there, that the Chrome browser may also be outdated to show this error. In such a case, completely uninstall the Chrome browser and then re-install. You should also check for updates or any latest version timely.
So in this article, we have given detailed information regarding the most appropriate methods to solve the Err_Connection_Refused error. We have also included pictures so that you can perform the steps efficiently. If you find difficulty in understanding or following any of the methods/steps mentioned above, we are just a comment away. If you feel this article helpful please like, share, and follow our Facebook page and keep visiting our website for such tutorials and guides.