MSVCR71.dll missing or not found, sounds like your problem. Folks, need not worry. Many users like you are facing this error. An MSVCR71.DLL missing error occurs due to the respective DLL file is missing, deleted, or corrupted. The programs that are dependent on the DLL file will throwback an MSVCR71.DLL missing error if there is any problem with the file. The users reported the following error message displayed on their screen:
The program cannot be started because MSVCR71.DLL is missing from your computer.
What is MSVCR71.DLL?
The MSVCR71.DLL is a runtime file of the Windows operating system. This file is associated with the Microsoft visual studio and contains functions that are required to run the specific programs. This file is a low-level set of programs and similar to an executable file that allows multiple software programs to share the functionality. Microsoft provides these libraries as a package and the users can install them as a single installer.
Various error messages related “MSVCR71.DLL is Missing or Not Found Error”
Many Windows users reported MSVCR71.DLL missing error in some of the cases. Here I have listed some common error messages related to this error:
- This application failed to start because MSVCR71.DLL missing or not found.
- “MSVCR71.DLL not found.”
- Cannot find c:\Windows\System32\msvcr71.DLL.
- The file MSVCR71.DLL missing.
- “Cannot start Microsoft Visual Studio .NET. A required component is missing: msvcr71.DLL. Please install Microsoft visual studio .NET again.”
- MSVCR71.DLL access violation.
- “Cannot register MSVCR71.DLL.”
The error occurs during the startup of your computer, a particular program startup, or while trying to use a specific function in your program for example printing.
This is one of the major issues in your computer due to which you can’t the program which requires that file.
Finally, the best solutions are given in this article to fix the MSVCR71.DLL missing error and the errors related to the file.
Why MSVCR71.dll Not found error occurs?
The probable causes behind this error are listed as under:
- Problematic registry.
- Hardware issues.
- Deleted the dll file accidentally
- Virus or Malware infection.
How to Fix MSVCR71.DLL is Missing Error?
The following are the fixes you can try before going to download Microsoft visual c++ Redistributable package. If none of the below solutions fixes your system MSVCR71.DLL missing error then go with downloading and installing the above-prescribed software.
Restore MSVCR71.dll from the Recycle Bin
If you have deleted the MSVCR71.dll file accidentally then this error occurs. A missing MSVCR71.dll file may simply mean that either you or a program on your computer deleted the file and thus sending it to the Recycle Bin. In such a case you can restore the required file from the recycle bin. If the file is available in the recycle bin can be restored back, however, if the file has been permanently deleted with emptying the Msvcr71.dll files that you know were in the Recycle Bin at one point, but have since been “permanRecycle Bin then it can’t be recovered. In such a case you need to download the file from the official website again to fix the error.
Run a virus scan of your system
Sometimes there are chances that the MSVCR71.dll errors are related to malicious programs or viruses available on your computer. To fix the issue run a scan to remove the virus infection and check for the error. If this also not help to fix the issue then you can try next solution.
Reinstall the program that uses the MSVCR71.dll file
If you are facing the error on running a specific program that uses the MSVCR71.dll file then there are chances that the problem is with that particular program. To remove the error, reinstall that specific program.
The error might be with the drivers and because of it, you are causing the error.
- To update drivers go to Device Manager from Windows search.
- Expand Display Adapters on clicking on it.
- Under it right-click on graphics driver > select update driver software.
- The processes automatically update your graphics driver and after completion of updating restart your computer. Open the program that causing an MSVCR71.DLL missing error and see either still you are getting the error or not. In case the problem persists, move on to the next solution.
Use System Restore
System restore is the process of going back to the place in the system when there is no issue of MSVCR71.DLL missing error.
- To do this go to the control panel. Then click on System and security.
- After that click on backup and restore.
- Click on ‘Recover system settings or your computer‘.
- Open system restore.
- Click next and uptick to show all restore points > select the point where everything is fine with DLL file > click on Next to start the process of system restoring.
- After your system restarts and checks the program that caused the error before. In most cases system restore helps to fix the error else continue with the below solutions.
Note: The system restore navigating options may change with system Windows Vista, XP, 7, 8, and 10. The above-given images are from the Windows 7 operating system.
Run SFC Scan
SFC (System File Checker) is a built-in Windows tool that checks all the files in your system, spot corrupted files, and fixes them.
- Open the Command Prompt with administrative privileges, right-click on the command prompt on the Windows logo search and choose run as administrator.
- A new window opens of command prompt as administrator. Type the following command dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth. Use the above command if you are using Windows 8 or 10 else directly go with the SFC scan.
- Finally, run sfc/scannow as shown in the figure and wait till the scan completes.
- After completion of the scan, if you see a message on the window as “Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.” This means that the scan didn’t find any errors with your files. You have to proceed with other solutions as this did not help to fix the solution.
- If you see a screen with a message “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. Details are included in the CBS.Log%WinDir%LogsCBBSCBS.log.” this means that the SFC fixed some of the system error. To check whether actual error fixed or not go to the above-given directory or a program that causing the error.
- If other than above-given messages are shown, you have to try other solutions to fix the error.
Copy the MSVCR71.DLL File from another computer
You can copy the MSVCR71.dll file from another computer that has the same system as yours to fix the issue. To do so follow these steps:
- Press Windows+S keys to open the Search box on your own computer.
- Type Command Prompt and Right-click Command Prompt from the results and select Run as Administrator.
- Now, type control /name microsoft.system and press Enter.
- Repeat these steps on the computer from you are going to get the MSVCR71.dll file.
- Both the PC’s should have the same Windows edition and system type.
- Go to the other computer and press Windows+E to open File Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 or C:\Windows\System32, whichever is applicable.
- Copy the MSVCR71.dll file and save it to any external hard drive or a flash drive.
- Now go to your own computer and launch FileExplorer by pressing Windows+E keys.
- Go to the exact location as to where you have copied the file and paste the MSVCR71.dll file there.
- Now go to the Start menu and type cmd. Right-click Command Prompt from the results and click Run as Administrator.
- Type regsvr32 msvcr71.dll and press Enter.
- Restart the computer and check for the error.
Install Visual C++ Redistributable Packages
MSVCR71.dll file comes with Visual C++ redistributable packages. To fix the MSVCR71.dll not found error you can try installing Visual C++ Redistributable Packages. To do so, follow these steps:
- Press Windows+S keys to open the search box and type cmd.
- Right-click Command Prompt from the results and select Run as Administrator.
- In Command Prompt, type control /name microsoft.system and then press Enter.
- Check if your system is 32-bit or 64-bit.
- Visit Microsoft’s official website and then go to the Visual C++ Downloads page.
- Download and install the specified redistributable package for your system.
- Restart your computer and check for the error.
Download DLL File from the Trusted Sites
In some of the internet websites, you can find the MSVCR71.DLL file download it to fix the MSVCR71.DLL missing error.
- Select the 32- bit DLL file for a 32-bit Windows operating system. If you are having 64-bit Windows operating system, select both 32- bit and 64-bit DLL files.
- While downloading the DLL file choose the entrusted site to stay safe from malware or virus entering your system through that file.
- After downloading, rename the file as msvcr71.DLL and copy the file.
- Go to computer > local disk c:\ if the Windows folder is not seen, go to organize > folder and search options > from the pop – up window go to view > select show hidden files > click on apply > lastly on ok button. Now you can see the Windows folder.
- If you are having 32-bit Windows system, paste the 32-bit DLL file into your computer folder location as shown c:\computer\Windows\system32.
- In case if you are having 64-bit Windows operating system, paste the files into c:\Windows\SysWOW64 and c:\Windows\system32.
- If you get the pop-up window with a message “Do you want to replace it”. Don’t replace the file until and unless you found the DLL file is corrupted.
- In some of the instances, the DLL file is not corrupt but de-registered. To register the above-copied file or to re-register the DLL file continue with the below step.
- To register or re-register the DLL file, go to Windows logo > search cmd > right-click and select run as administrator.
- New cmd window opens with administrative permissions > type command start/run regsvr32 msvcr71.DLL and click on the enter button.
- After the successful completion of running the command, your registration or re-registration is completed. Close all windows and restart your computer and start the program that raises the error. Hopefully, this solution helps to fix your system MSVCR71.DLL missing error completely.
The MSVCR71.DLL missing error article, giving you the best solutions that will work to fix the error completely. If you have any queries, suggestions drop your comments in the comments section in detail, and we will get back to you soon with appropriate replies. If you feel this article helpful please like, share, and follow our Facebook page and keep visiting our website for such tutorials and guides.