If you have encountered with ntkrnlmp.exe Blue Screen Error then don’t get worried because here you will get a pack of solutions that is sufficient to resolve the issue and you just need to unpack it carefully. But before heading towards the goal, let’s have an overview of this error.
Overview of ntkrnlmp.exe
ntkrnlmp.exe stands for the NT Kernel, Multi-processor version and it is a system file that comes with the Windows OS whose sole aim is to manage the internal files. Whenever the OS runs, then the applications which contain the ntkrnlmp.exe start performing in the NT Kernel System process. The primary task of this system file is to manage the vast majority of low-level internal files.
When ntkrnlmp.exe deals with the bad files and fails to manage them, then it crashes and led to BSOD especially when Windows users check the memory Dump file related to the crash. Attribution of the error to this file doesn’t mean that this file is creating the error but it is an indication that this file was dealing the bad data during the crash. So, you just need to look for those factors which hamper the smooth running of the ntkrnlmp.exe file.
Why ntkrnlmp.exe Blue Screen of Death occurs?
Though this Blue Screen of Death error can occur due to various reasons and it is very difficult to pinpoint the exact reason behind this issue. However, I have mentioned some of the most common reasons reported by the users:
- Outdated or incompatible graphics drivers.
- Two non-identical RAM sticks.
- Corrupted RAID controller driver.
- Due to the latest Windows updates.
- C-states and EIST are enabled in BIOS.
- A power adapter causing voltage issue when your PC switches from a stress state to idle.
Fix ntkrnlmp.exe Blue Screen of Death Error?
Disable CPU or GPU overclocking
First of all, you must know that what is overclocking a CPU? Many users reported that Blue Screen of Death error is the most common error occurring in the systems having overclocked CPU. They have also managed to fix the issue by reducing their overclocked frequencies.
So if you currently using the overclocked CPU then it is recommended to set the frequencies and all relevant values to default and check for the occurrence of the error. By doing this if the crashes stop then gently tune-down the custom clocked frequency until unless your system reaches a stable state and the BSOD error is gone.
Note: This is to notice that the above said method is only referred to those who overclocked components manually. If your PC is having some manufacturer-provided technology that can automatically boost the CPU frequencies, then it is recommended to not disable it as it can create severe errors.
Disable C-states and EIST from BIOS
Like all others, your computer is also using C-state and EIST (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology) to save energy when the CPU is in idle mode. This process mainly works on the principle of altering the CPU voltage during idle times or in other low-load circumstances. This can result in an insufficient voltage mainly Undervoltage that will create Blue Screen of Death error depending on your CPU model.
To get rid of this error you can test this method by disabling the two technologies C-states and EIST from BIOS. The exact steps to disable these technologies may vary depending on your motherboard. However, on most of the BIOS versions, these two settings are located in Advanced menu > CPU configuration > CPU Power Management. Just visit these locations and then set to disabled and save your configuration.
If the error is still there after disabling these two services then re-enable the services and try the next solution.
Troubleshoot Non-identical RAM sticks
The Blue Screen of Death error related to ntkrnlmp.exe is mostly seen on computers with non-identical RAM sticks. It is not necessary that the two RAM sticks from the same manufacturer would be identical (frequency-wise).
Note: Especially Corsair sticks are known for varying timings, thus creating a BSOD error.
If two unmatching RAM sticks are installed on your system then take out anyone stick and check for the error. If the BSOD error is not occurring by doing this, it proves there is some sort of incompatibility caused by the non-identical RAM sticks. If that is the actual case then you can remove this error by investing in a proper dual-channel RAM kit.
If you fund that the RAM sticks are properly functioning and still you are facing the BSOD error then proceed to the next solution to fix this error.
Update Graphic Card Driver
Windows Update is a feature of the Microsoft which automatically installs the updates of the drivers. But, it is not always possible and sometimes users need to perform the task manually. The outdated graphics card is one of the reasons behind this issue and to resolve the same you need to update the graphic card manually.
- Hover your cursor to the ‘Start’ menu, right-click on it and then choose ‘Device Manager’ from the listed options.
- Thereafter, Device Manager Page will appear on your screen, select Display Adapter. Now, click on the arrow button located at the left end of the Display Adapter to get the list of graphics card drivers.
- Select the driver, right-click on it and then choose ‘Update driver’.
- After the completion of the task, restart your computer.
Scan your PC using Windows Defender
The virus is dangerous for the PC and sometimes due to Windows Defender error, the viruses bypass the scan and affect the PC. So, if you have any kind of Windows Defender error, then go to the troubleshooting section and then fix it. However, if the antivirus is working fine, then follow the steps to remove the virus.
- Click on the ‘Start’ menu and choose ‘Settings’ which is listed above the Power menu.
- After getting entry into the Setting page, move to the ‘Update and Security’ section.
- In the left-end of the page, you will get a few options, click on ‘Windows Security’.
- Thereafter, the security page will appear which will feature a list of options, select ‘Virus and threat protection’.
- A new pop-up window will appear, click on ‘Run a new advanced scan’.
- Now, select the way to scan the PC, but it is always recommended to choose ‘Full Scan’. And after selecting the option, click on the ‘Scan now’ button.
Access the Blue Screen Troubleshooter
The Blue Screen of Death error is common in Windows 10. However, Windows has a built-in troubleshooter designed to specifically resolve these errors. You can access the Blue Screen troubleshooter by following these steps:
- Press Windows+I key simultaneously to open the Settings app.
- Select Update & Security.
- From the left-pane menu, click Troubleshoot.
- From the right pane, click the Blue Screen and further click Run the Troubleshooter button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
Disable Speedstep Windows 10 is a unique feature to resolve the error ntkrnlmp.exe. In other terms, Speedstep is known as Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology which enables the applications to control the clock speed of the processor. So, if you disable this feature, then your issue will be resolved.
- Turn your computer off completely.
- Now press the power button and get access to the BIOS Setup Well, the entry into the BIOS differs and depends upon the computer. So, you can check the function keys as per the model of your computer.
- After entering into the BIOS Setup page, select the ‘Advanced’ tab and then choose an option ‘CPU Configuration’. You can perform the task using the arrow keys.
- Thereafter, you will get a bunch of options, select ‘CPU Power Management Configuration’.
- Soon, a CPU feature page will appear, select Intel EIST and turn it in Disable Mode.
- After completing the above step, move to the Intel C-State section which is listed beneath Intel EIST and make sure to disable the same.
- That’s it; now save the settings and restart your computer.
Use Driver Verifier Manager
Driver Verifier is an inbuilt tool that manages the kernel drivers and also resolves the issue if found in the drivers.
- Click on the ‘Start’ menu and type ‘CMD’ in the search box.
- After getting the Command Box on the search page, select it and then right-click on it to choose an option ‘Run as administrator’. You can also open the Command Prompt Windows directly by pressing Win+X+A keys together.
- If any confirmation is asked, then click on the ‘Yes’ button.
- Soon, a command box will appear on your screen and here you need to type ‘verifier’ in the box and then press the ‘Enter’ key.
- The above step will bring you to the Driver Verifier Manager page.
- Now, click on ‘Create standard-setting’ and further click on the ‘Next’ button.
- Thereafter, you will be asked to choose the drivers, click on ‘Automatically select all drivers installed on this computer’ and further click on the ‘Finish’ button.
- After that, a pop-up window will appear asking you to restart your computer, click on the ‘OK’ button.
- After restarting the computer, you will get the report of the drivers and once you found the error on the particular driver, then reinstall the same using Device Manager feature.
Reinstall Graphic Card Driver
If the above report stated the issue in the graphic card, then reinstall it and the process for the same is listed below.
- Hover your cursor to the ‘Start’ menu, right-click on it and then choose ‘Device Manager’.
- Now, move to the ‘Display Adapter’ section and then click on the arrow button to expand the features.
- After getting the list of graphic drivers, select the one, right-click on it and then choose ‘Uninstall device’.
- Now restart your computer.
- After restarting the PC, Windows will download the graphics card driver automatically.
Lack of Windows Update can also cause the ntkrnlmp.exe Blue Screen Error. So, you must update Windows to match the drivers with the latest configuration and the steps for the same are listed below.
- Click on the ‘Start’ menu. Further click on the gear icon which symbolizes ‘Settings’ located above the Power menu.
- Soon, you will find the ‘Settings’ page on your screen, click on ‘Update and Security’.
- Now, click on ‘Check for updates’. The Windows will find the updates and once it installs all the available updates.
- And then you will have to restart your computer.
Hence, these were some of the effective solutions to fix the issue ntkrnlmp.exe. However, if you stuck amid the steps or need any assistance, then feel free to ask our experts using the comment box. Our techies will assist you and will resolve the issue effectively.
If you feel this article helpful please like, share and follow our Facebook page and keep visiting our website for such tutorials.
Leave a Reply