The Blue Screen error IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is a fatal error that can occur when Windows starts up or when you are playing games. It halts the computer amid in the operation and displays some important information. If you encounter this error and want to resolve it effectively, then you have landed on the right place. In this article, I will walk you through the solutions to come out of this error.
What is IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Error?
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is a Blue Screen error caused due to corrupted memory that happens when the Operating System fails to operate safely and the user will fail to access the features of Windows. Whenever the driver tried to access the memory address which is invalid or without authorization, then this error appears. Mostly this error occurs when the users try to update their system to a newer version. Mostly it is associated with a bad driver or with faulty or incompatible hardware or software.
Why IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error occurs in Windows 10?
Whenever a blue screen appears on your computer all of sudden with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error message, you may be wondering why this appears. Need not to worry as you are not alone to encounter this message. For your ease, I have listed some of the reasons responsible for the issue IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.
- Outdated or corrupted driver.
- Improper installation of the software.
- Faulty Hardware.
- The CPU is overheated.
- Corrupt files.
- Downgrading current version of Windows to lower version.
- Disk Fragmentation.
- Registry Issues.
- Viruses or Malware.
Errors Like IRQL_not_less_or_equal Error
Here we have listed some of the most common situations in Windows 10 where this error occurs:
As the name suggests and most of the gamers reported that they experienced this error after overclocking their PCs. So this error can be fixed by disabling the overclocking.
irql_not_less_or_equal cpu overheating
In case if your CPU is overwhelmed, it may overheat and be a cause to this error. As stated in the above example, you can disable overclocking to reduce overheating of CPU. You can also check for the applications or games which are putting an extra strain on your PC and disable them as soon as possible.
irql_not_less_or_equal after RAM upgrade
When you have upgraded the RAM, there are chances to encounter this error. Before installing or upgrading the RAM make sure that the new RAM is compatible with your device and it should be properly installed.
This is an executable file which is the kernel (core) of the operating system.
irql_not_less_or_equal after Windows update
This error may occur after the latest Windows updates installed. To get rid of this error uninstall the updates and check for the error.
irql_not_less_or_equal and memory_management
These are the two different BSOD errors seen by the users hand in hand. They reported that whenever the first error occurs, the second one follows automatically after reboot.
How to fix the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error?
If this is your first time, then go for the basic solutions. You can restart your computer to check whether the error persists or not. If you have installed any new hardware or software, then remove the same and follow the listed solutions mentioned below to fix the issue.
However, if you failed to log in to the computer, then try the solutions in the safe mode. So, first, get access to the safe mode and then apply the solutions.
Run System File Checker
Corrupt System Files are the major reasons behind an error IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Windows 10. So, you need to check those files and the System File Checker tool will help you to resolve the issue
- Click on the ‘Start’ menu and then type ‘CMD’ in the search bar. Or right-click on the Start button.
- Soon, you will get the search result or a list of options. If you are searching for CMD then select CMD in the next window and right-click on it and choose ‘Run as administrator’. Else go with ‘Command Prompt (Admin)’ from the given list.
- Thereafter, you will get the command box, type ‘sfc/scannow’ and press the ‘Enter’ key.
- The windows will take time to find the corrupt files and after getting the same SFC tool will replace it.
- Now restart your computer to see the changes.
Disable Memory Caching
- Press “F2” key or any other keys to Enter the BIOS settings.
- Now find the option for “Memory caching feature” and then Disable it.
Update Your Driver
Outdated drivers play a key role behind an error IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL in Windows 10. So, if you are using the outdated driver, then update the same immediately by following the steps listed below.
- Right-Click on the ‘Start’ menu and then choose the ‘Device Manager’ option and press the ‘Enter’ key.
- Thereafter, a pop-up window will appear showing the features of the device.
- Move to the ‘Display Adapter’ section and then click on the arrow button to expand the features.
- Now select the driver, right-click on it and choose an option of ‘Update driver’.
- After completing the above-mentioned process, restart your computer.
Uninstall newly installed application
As stated earlier, newly installed software might be properly configured with the system and hence generate the error IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL in Windows 10. So, to resolve the same, uninstall those applications and the process for the same is listed below.
- Open Control Panel by pressing Win+X+P keys together.
- Thereafter, the control panel page will appear, click on ‘Programs’.
- Soon, you will get the list of installed applications; select the one which you feel can create an issue and further click on the ‘Uninstall’ button.
- Now, restart your computer to apply the changes.
Run Hardware Troubleshooter
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error can also occur due to hardware errors, so it is always recommended to run the Hardware Troubleshooter to check if there is a problem with your hardware. Run the troubleshooter by following these steps.
- Click Settings from the Start menu.
- On the Security page click Update & Security.
- Click on the Troubleshoot option.
- Now choose Hardware and Devices and then click on Run the troubleshooter button.
- Wait for some time to let the computer detect the problems. Once the scanning process is completed, it will display the error. Then select the issue you want to fix.
- And if the computer does not detect any problem, then it may not be a hardware problem and continue with the next solution.
Run Driver Verifier
This error can be solved by running driver verifier also, but this method is more suitable for IT professionals. However, I am there to help you out in this. Follow these steps carefully to fix the error by verifying the Driver:
- Open search box & type cmd and press Enter. Right-click it to choose Run as administrator.
- Enter Verifier in the Command Prompt window and press Enter.
- Choose to Create standard settings and click Next.
- Select what drivers need to verify and then click Next to continue.
- Select drivers to verify at first and then click Finish.
- Restart your computer and then Windows will help you solve the problem.
Access Safe Mode with Networking
- Make sure your PC is turned off completely. Now, turn ON your computer and immediately press the F8 key to get the Advanced Boot Option. The time is too short, so you need to perform the task quickly, which means less than a second.
- In the ‘Advanced Boot Options,’ you will get ‘Safe Mode’ options, use your arrow key and select ‘Safe Mode with Networking’ and then press the ‘Enter’ key.
- That’s it; now follow the solutions listed beneath to resolve the issue.
Clean Boot to enable the services
- Press the Windows+R keys to open the ‘Run’ box.
- Type ‘msconfig’ in the box and click on the ‘OK’ button.
- Thereafter, system configuration pop-up window will appear, click on the ‘General’ tab and move to the ‘Selective startup’ section and uncheck the box ‘Load startup items’.
- After completing the above step, click on the ‘Services’ tab. and then tick the checkbox saying ‘Hide all Microsoft Services’ located at the bottom of the page.
- Now click on ‘Disable all’ and further click on the ‘OK’ button.
- Restart your computer to resolve the issue.
If you have plugged in any new hardware, then unplug it because the hardware might be incompatible with the OS and hence give rise to an issue. The compatibility is a feature that enables the software or hardware to run smoothly in the Windows Operating System and the configuration of the same is designed by Microsoft. In short, it means a path provided by Microsoft to Software to access the OS and if the path is different, then BSOD arises. So, whenever you install any new hardware or software make sure it meets the requirements of the OS.
Install Windows Updates
Windows OS mostly installs the updates automatically, but if the mode is selected manual, then you will have to perform the task and for your solace, the steps are listed below.
- Press Win+X+P to open Control Panel.
- Now go to System and Security.
- And then click on Windows Update.
- Now you can see a Check for updates button is there. Click it and follow the further steps from there to update your system & drivers.
Reset This PC
If you are reading this step then you might have tried all the above methods, and you are unable to understand the exact cause of this error. In this condition, you can try to reset the computer. Resetting your computer allows you to save your personal files or erase them as per your requirement. Follow the below-mentioned steps to reset your PC:
- Go to the Settings page and click Update & Security.
- In the left pane of window click Recovery and then click Get Started under the Reset this PC option.
- In the next window, it will ask you to keep my files or remove everything. Here any of the options as per your requirement and proceed further to reset your PC.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and click Reset.
- Wait for some time as this method will take some time to fix your error. If this method also doesn’t work for you then you need to reinstall your operating system.
Hence, these were some of the effective solutions against the issue of IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL in Windows 10. Apply the methods carefully to resolve the issue. On the off chance, if you stuck amid the steps, then don’t get worried just contact us, our techies will assist you and will fix the error in a quick time.
If you feel this article helpful please like, share and follow our Facebook page and keep visiting our website for such tutorials.
Leave a Reply