Have you ever encountered any error related to DNS? Any error code which shows the DNS issue is related to network connectivity. DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG is also an error related to DNS and this is a very common error for all versions of Windows so Windows 10 is not an exception.
What DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG Error means?
The web page is not available, DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG is a network connection error that appears when you are trying to access a website in a web browser. Your system will show the following error message:
The webpage is not available
As the name suggests the error is related to the DNS and your computer is having the bad DNS configuration that stops your computer to connect to the network. The webpage is not available error message appears amid browsing in Google Chrome indicates that your computer is unable to connect to the website you are trying to access because the DNS (Domain Name Server) is unable to resolve website name into IP address of that website and you will get dns_probe_finished_bad_config or dns_probe_finished_nxdomain error. Most of the users think that it is a Chrome error, but that’s not true. The prime reasons behind an error are a network issue, Antivirus, DNS configuration and significantly more.
Why DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG error occurs?
The common reasons behind this error are listed as under:
- Incorrect DNS configuration
- DNS Server inaccessibility
- Any change in the router settings
- Change in Network settings
- Maybe due to VPN
Is it a Webpage/Browser specific error?
This error has no relevance to any specific webpage or browser. User can encounter this error on any webpage while using any of the browsers.
As we have already discussed that the error is related to network connectivity, but mostly the users using Chrome are reporting this error just because of the Chrome browser is more popular among them. Otherwise, if you are facing this error in Chrome then you can try to open the webpage in other browser and the same error you will encounter there also.
The solutions listed here are sufficient enough to fix the error in Windows, macOS and Android
Fix dns_probe_finished_bad_config Error in Windows 10
So, if you are facing DNS_PROE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG error, then don’t get annoyed as multiple solutions will help you to resolve the issue in a quick time and for your convenience, the detailed steps for each method are listed below, just follow them one by one and get the issue resolved.
Check your Connections and Restart your Router
If you have encountered this network error then the first or the troubleshooting step you must follow is to check all the cables and the connections. Then restart your router and the computer. Once after restarting the router and the computer, again connect to the network and check for the error. If the error has not gone then follow the next solutions.
Clear Browser Cache and Cookies
Corrupt cache and cookies also create such errors. To clear the browser cache and cookies follow these steps:
- Launch your browser and go to the Settings.
- Search for the option Clear Browsing Data.
- Check the required boxes under this option. Once you have selected the data to clear then click on the Clear data button.
- Once you have cleared the cached data, Restart your computer and check for the error.
We do have a detailed guide for How to clear Cached Data? If the error is not fixed then go to the next solutions.
Wipeout DNS Cache
- To do this task you need to open the command prompt in the administration mode and for that, press the ‘Start’ button, type ‘CMD’ in the search bar but make sure not to press the ‘Enter’ button. Soon after getting the search result, select ‘CMD’ right-click on it and further click on ‘Run as administrator’. You can also press Win+X+A keys together.
- Thereafter, a command box will open and here you need to type ‘ipconfig/flushdns’ and then press the ‘Enter’ key.
- After completing the task, close the command prompt.
Reset IP Catalog
- Open Command Prompt. Type the command netsh int ip reset and press Enter.
- Now type the command netsh winsock reset catalog and press Enter.
- Once it is done, exit command prompt and check for the error.
Renew IP address
- Open the command prompt as explained in the above solution.
- Type ’ipconfig/release’ and then press the ‘Enter’ key. After that, a list will appear and it will show your current IP address.
- Now, type ‘ipconfig/renew’ in the command box and then press the ‘Enter’ key.
Modify DNS Server
If the problem is from the bad DNS and due to the same you are facing ‘BAD DNS_PROE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG Windows 10, then you will have to manually configure the DNS and the steps for the same are provided below.
- Open Control Panel and for that press the ‘Start’ button, type ‘Control Panel’ in the search bar and then press the ‘Enter’ key.
- Now select ‘Network and Internet’ from the Control Panel page.
- Thereafter, you will get three options, click on the ‘Network and Sharing Center’.
- On the left end of the ‘Network and Sharing Center’ page, you will get a few options, click on ‘Change adapter settings’.
- Now, select the network you access and then right-click on it to choose ‘Properties’ from the drop-down menu.
- Soon you will get a new pop-up window on your screen and here you need to click on ‘Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IP) and select ‘Properties’ button located at the bottom of the page.
- Again, a new pop-up window will open and you will have to click on the ‘General’ tab located at the top of the page. And then select ‘Use the following DNS server addresses’.
- In the Preferred DNS Server type 184.108.40.206 and further type 220.127.116.11 in the Alternate DNS Server box.
- After completing the above step make sure to click on the ‘OK’ button to save the changes.
Disable Windows Defender
- Click on the ‘Start’ button and further click on the ‘Settings’ icon located above the power menu.
- The above step will direct you to the ‘settings’ page and here you need to click on ‘Update and Security’.
- On the left end of the featured page, you will get additional options, click on ‘Windows Security’.
- In the ‘Windows Security’ page you will get the ‘Protection area’ section and beneath the same ‘Virus & threat protection’ is located, click on it.
- Thereafter, a pop-up window will appear on the screen which will feature the scan result, click on ‘Virus and threat protection settings’.
- Move to the ‘Real-time protection’ section and toggle the radio button in off mode.
- After completing the above step, close the window and then open the ‘Control Panel’.
- Now select ‘System and Security’.
- Soon, you will get the list of security features offered by Windows 10, select the ‘Windows Defender Firewall’.
- On the next page, you will find an option ‘Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off’ click on it.
- Now click on the radio button ‘Turn off Windows Firewall’.
- After completing the above task, restart your computer.
Update Network Driver
- Click on the ‘Start’ menu, type ‘Device Manager’ in the search bar and then press the ‘Enter’ key.
- Thereafter, a Device Manager page will open and here you need to select the ‘Network Adapter’ section and click on the arrow button located at the parallel of the ‘Network adapter’ to get the list of drivers.
- After getting the list, select your network and then right-click on it to choose ‘Update driver’.
- After the completion of the process, restart your computer.
Delete Temporary Files
Whenever you access the Internet through the browser, then the browser stores the temporary files to the PC so that you can quickly access them anytime, but these files are also the reason behind ‘DNS_PROE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG’ error. So, you need to delete the temporary files and the procedure for the same is listed below.
- Press the ‘Windows’ + ‘R’ keys to open the ‘Run’ box.
- Type ‘%temp%’ in the run box without quotation marks and then click on the ‘OK’ button.
- Soon, a new window will open which will show the list of temporary files. Select all the files and then press the ‘Shift+Delete’ buttons together.
How to Fix dns_probe_finished_bad_config Error in macOS?
To fix the error DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG in Mac follow these simple steps:
- Go to the Apple menu. Select System Preferences.
- After that click on the Network section.
- Enter the password to proceed further if it asked.
- Select the connection required to modify.
- To change DNS settings on Ethernet, click on Built-in Ethernet and select Advanced.
- To change the wireless network settings, choose Airport and select Advanced.
- If you want to add a new Google IP address then type 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124.
- Now press Apply and Ok.
How to Fix dns_probe_finished_bad_config Error in Android?
To fix the error in Android change DNS settings on Android. To do so follow these steps:
- Open Settings and click Wi-Fi.
- Press and Hold your selected network and click Modify or Manage Network.
- Choose the Advanced Options by checking the Show advanced options box.
- Below the same, choose Static mode after selecting DHCP settings from the drop-down list.
- And type in DNS 1 and DNS 2 in DNS servers IP addresses to sections.
- Finally, click Save and reconnect to the network to activate the settings.
So, these were effective solutions against the issue ‘DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG Windows 10’. However, if you stuck amid the process or need any assistance, then feel free to post in the comment box. Our techies will assist you and will help you to get rid of the issue. Hence, stay connected with us and enjoys the utmost features of the Windows OS without any inconvenience.