Microsoft Windows 10 has various processes running in the background at all times. They are highly important for the proper functioning of all Windows functions. But since they use the CPU of your computer, they can sometimes result in high CPU usage. One such case can be the WMI Provider Host: High CPU Usage on Windows 10. It is an important process which runs in your background and might use your CPU from time to time. Therefore today we will show you how to fix WMI Provider Host High CPU usage. Not only that but you will also learn what is WMI provider host as well as its importance. Apart from that, you will also find various methods that you can follow to successfully fix this issue on your Windows 10 PC.
- 1 What is WMI Provider Host?
- 2 Conclusion
What is WMI Provider Host?
WMI Provider Host is one of the most important background services found in Windows. If you open your task manager, you will find this process named as wmiprvse.exe WMI provider host. WMI stands for Windows Management Instrumentation Provider Service. It is responsible for managing the different programs and services running on your PC. Apart from that, it also provides data for software and administrative scripts to other programs on your PC. Similarly, it offers various other important uses to your Windows 10 PC.
Causes of WMI Provider Host: High CPU Usage on Windows 10
Since the wmiprvse.exe WMI provider host is a highly important and complex service for Windows, there many possible reasons it might cause high CPU usage on your PC. If the WMI provider host service is corrupted, then it might cause high CPU usage. Apart from that, corrupted system files due to Windows updates can also cause such issues. Similarly, there are many other services running in the background which are related to it. And such services can also cause wmiprvse.exe services high CPU usage.
How to Fix WMI Provider Host CPU on Windows 10?
If you are also facing issues with the wmiprvse.exe WMI provider host on Windows 10, you should fix it. Any program causing high CPU usage can affect your computing experience. Since that one service is using all of your CPU, other programs on your computer will not have enough computing power available to it. Similarly, if you are facing high CPU usage due to wmiprvse.exe services, it can affect your computer’s performance. Unfortunately, there is no fixed method which you can follow to fix this. Instead, you have to go through the following methods one by one to fix wmiprvse.exe error on Windows 10:
Restart WMIPRVSE.EXE WMI Provider Host via Services in Windows
Windows allows you to manage all of the services running in the background. This is possible by using the Services Utility found in Windows 10. It allows you to modify different settings of all the services of your computer. Due to this, if you are facing WMI provider host high CPU usage, you can use the Services utility to fix it. One of the easiest ways to fix this is to try restarting the wmiprvse.exe service. You can do so in your Windows 10 PC by following the given steps one by one:
- First, press Windows Key + R on your keyboard to open Windows Run.
- In here, type services.msc and press Enter which will open the Services Utility on your PC.
- After that, you will see a list of all the services installed on your PC.
- Now look for Windows Management Instrumentation Service, right-click on it and select Restart. Doing so will restart the WMI provider host on your PC which will fix any issues with it.
Fix WMI Provider Host High CPU Usage via Command Prompt
Command Prompt in Windows 10 is one of the most useful programs. It allows you to easily change various things of your computer using commands. There are several commands supported in Command Prompt which allow you to fix various things in Windows 10. This means that if you are facing issues with wmiprvse.exe, you can use Command Prompt to fix it. You can follow the given steps to fix the WMI service issue:
- Use the Windows Search feature to open Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Now, type the following commands one by one in Command Prompt and press Enter on your keyboard after entering each command:
- net stop iphlpsvc
- net stop wscsvc
- net stop Winmgmt
- net start Winmgmt
- net start wscsvc
- net start iphlpsvc
- At last, restart your computer which will fix this error in Windows 10.
Scan and Fix Corrupted System Files in Windows 10
Apart from issues with other programs installed on your computer, issues with Windows 10 itself can also result in wmiprvse.exe high CPU usage. There are many cases which can result in corrupted system files on your computer. For example, incorrectly installed Windows Updates can sometimes do this. And due to that, you can face issues with services like WMI provider host on your computer. In such a case Windows 10 allows you to easily scan and fix corrupted system files via Command Prompt as shown here:
- Open Windows Run by pressing Windows Key + R on your computer.
- After that, type cmd and press enter in Windows Run which will Command Prompt.
- Once you are inside Command Prompt, type the following commands one by one and press Enter after each one.
- sfc /scannow
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Doing so will make Command Prompt scan and fix all the system files of your computer. And it will fix this error.
We hope that you have successfully fixed WMI Provider Host: High CPU Usage on Windows 10. In case you liked this article, then make sure to share it on social media. If you have any doubts regarding any of the solutions, feel free to ask any queries in the comments section below. If you feel this article helpful please like, share and follow our facebook page and keep visiting our website for such tutorials and guides.