Have you ever come across the situation when you are watching a movie on your Windows machine and you feel that it is not running smoothly and there’s an intermittent lag in your browser’s performance? The first thing that comes to our mind is to check the performance in Task Manager and check for the processes and most of the time you will find one process whose memory or CPU usages will be spiking. And you come across this situation of runtime broker high CPU usage. There are several factors leading to this situation and one such error is the Runtime Broker error on Windows 10.
What is a Runtime broker?
Runtime Broker process was first introduced by Microsoft in Windows 8 and still continues to be used in Windows 10. This (RuntimeBroker.exe) is an executable file located in the System32 folder on the computer.
The main task of Runtime Broker is to check if the applications you are using on your Windows computer have all the required permissions to run on your system such as to check whether universal apps are declaring all of their permissions like access to system location, microphone, webcam, etc. Runtime Broker always monitors the accesses to Windows API.
It also ensures that the apps should not violate the core security of the System. In short, Runtime Broker acts as a bridge between the application and the system security and thus gives way to those applications that have all the permissions. It acts as a middleman that checks whether the app is following the trust and privacy setting configured by you.
What is Runtime Broker High CPU Usage Write Error?
Although it generally runs in the background, it’s activity will arise when a universal app is launched. Runtime broker usually takes a very low memory profile typically in the range of 15-45 MB. Once a universal app is launched, its memory consumption will increase to 500-700 MB. Usually, it drops down after a few minutes, but if it doesn’t then there’s a problem of runtime broker high disk usage. Once all the universal apps are closed, its memory consumption drops back to normal memory range.
Can I disable a runtime broker, and what are its effects?
No, you cannot disable a runtime broker since it’s a core native windows process. Also, it shouldn’t be disabled as it takes care of your security and privacy while running universal apps. It’s a very light-weight process and too much memory. If you notice that the runtime broker has a high CPU usage, then you can always kill the process from the task manager. Once you kill it, it will start again automatically after a few minutes.
Various Runtime Broker.exe High CPU usage errors messages reported by the users
The Runtime Broker.exe High CPU usage error message received in the different types by the various users. Here are some of the common error messages encountered by the number of users:
This message indicates that your antivirus may have blocked the access to the runtime broker.exe file. So check your antivirus log and treat the error accordingly.
The runtime broker application may have been damaged. Reinstall the application afresh to resolve this error.
This error message indicates that the runtimebroker.exe is not installed. Install the application to get rid of this error.
This error message specifies that the runtimebroker.exe is not compatible with your system configuration. Install the correct version of the application.
Any hardware component of your system may be creating issues. Keep a thorough check of your system’s hardware components.
This error notifies that the .DLL file required for running runtimebroker.exe is missing or not updated. Either reinstall the application or if it is already installed then update to the latest compatible version.
Troubleshooting Tips to Fix this Error?
One of the biggest misconceptions associated with the runtime broker is that it’s behaving abnormally because it’s been attacked by a runtime broker virus. It is a native windows process and its behaviour cannot be affected by a virus. It may be the case that one of the universal apps has a bug or that the app has been affected by a virus that is, in turn, causing the runtime broker high disk usage. You can trace the location of the runtime broker.exe file inside the Windows/System 32 folders in your C drive. If it’s in that location then it’s not affected by a virus.
This error is very irritating, but do not worry. A step by step guide is given below to solve the error.
How to resolve Runtime Broker Windows 10 High CPU Usage?
Generally, Runtime Broker access low memory and perform smoothly in the computer but some corrupted applications abruptly change its behaviour and due to the same, Runtime Broker shows high CPU error. Well, there are few troubleshooting steps that will fix this kind of issue. However, if your computer is running slow and Runtime Broker is consuming more CPU, then follow the steps listed beneath to fix the issue.
Terminate Runtime Broker executable file from the Task Manager
This is a temporary and quick fix method which will stop the Runtime Broker Windows 10 to operate in the system. The method is the very simplest method. For your needs and convenience, we have provided the same in the steps format for effective execution.
- First and foremost, hover your mouse to the ‘Start’ menu and then right-click on it and from the list of applications, select ‘Task Manager’.
- Thereafter, you will find, ‘Task Manager’ window on your screen and your job are to find out the ‘Runtime Broker’.
- Now, click on ‘Runtime Broker’ and then look at the bottom of the page, here you will find the ‘End Task’ button which is activated and you know what to do. Yes, you got it just click on it.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Another simple method to get rid of this error is to run Windows Update troubleshooter. This can be launched either by the Control Panel or from the Settings page. Just run the troubleshooter by any of the methods as per your ease and wait until it has completed the scan. Restart your computer and check for the error.
Disable Windows support features ‘Show me tips about Windows’
Windows 10 offers multiple features to the users so that they can access the OS effectively and one of such is the Tips part, it helps the beginners to understand the Windows easily. So, disabling this feature will prevent Runtime Broker Windows 10 to consume more memory. The process for the same is listed below.
- Click on the ‘Start’ menu and select ‘Settings’ which is located just above the power menu.
- Thereafter, the ‘Windows Settings’ page will appear on the screen with multiple options, click on the ‘System’.
- Soon, you will find another page with relevant features, scroll down the page and select ‘Notifications & actions’ from the left panel.
- Now scroll down the page and select ‘Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows’ and after that click on the button to turn it off.
Disable Background Applications
If the above solutions didn’t work for you then disable the background applications. By disabling the background applications you can reduce the load on CPU up to some extent which will enable CPU usage to definitely go down. This method will help you in getting rid of Runtime Broker.exe High CPU usage error. To do so follow these simple steps:
- Go to Settings on your Windows 10 PC and click on Privacy settings.
- On the left pane of the window look for the background applications. Toggle all these running applications to Off.
- Close the Settings window and go to Task Manager to check for the error.
Install Windows Updates
Just check for the Windows updates available on your system. To check the updates follow these steps:
- Click on the Start button and search for the Windows Updates in the search bar.
- A dialogue box will open. You need to click on Check for Update. And then go with showing the available Windows Updates if any.
- If any update is available then click on the Install Updates to get them.
Clean-Up all system junk files
Regular usage of any system always results in the accumulation of junk files. It is always recommended to clean-up system junk files regularly. If you have not cleaned-up your system junk files for long then there are chances that the accumulated junk files can cause high CPU usage which can impact the overall performance of your system.
- Open Start menu and type “command” in the search bar.
- Hold Ctrl + Shift keys simultaneously and press Enter. Click Yes in the dialogue box seeking permission.
- And then type “cleanmgr” in the black box and press Enter. You can also open the same by entering “cleanmgr” in Run box followed by Win+R keys.
- A pop-up window will open and you need to choose the drive which you want to clean.
- Now the result will be displayed on your screen with a series of various check boxes. Check all the unwanted categories of the boxes and click Ok.
- Most often the Temporary Files have taken the maximum space causing the High CPU Usage error.
- It will clean all the files and hopefully, the High CPU Usage error has gone.
Disable Runtime Broker from Registry Editor
After applying the above methods, if Runtime Broker Windows 10 is still consuming the memory, then disable it permanently. Well, don’t worry it will not affect your system and in the future, you can enable it easily. Now, go through the detailed process and execute it effectively.
- Open Run window by pressing the ‘Windows’ key and ‘R’ key simultaneously.
- Now, type ‘regedit’ in the box, as shown in the image and further click on the ‘OK’ button.
- Thereafter, you will get the ‘Registry Editor’ window, select ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE’ and click on the arrow button to get additional settings.
- Now select ‘SYSTEM’; click on the arrow button located at the left end of the folder and then choose ‘CurrentControlSet’ from the featured options.
- In the menu of ‘CurrentControlSet’, you will get several options, select ‘Services’.
- Now, click on the arrow button located parallel to the ‘Services’ folder and choose ‘TimeBrokerSvc’.
- Click on ‘TimeBrokerSvc’ and after that, you will get a few options at the right panel, select the ‘Start’ file.
- Now, double-click on the ‘Start’ file and soon, a pop-up will appear, move to the ‘Value data’ section and insert 4 in the box and then click on the ‘OK’ button.
- That’s it; Runtime Broker is disabled from the system. However, if you want to enable it again, then change the value data to 3 in place of 4.
Modify Windows Updates by disabling a feature ‘Allow downloads from other PCs’
This is an effective method to prevent Runtime Broker Windows 10 to consume more CPU usage. The process is an easy one and for your convenience, the detailed steps are listed beneath.
- Open Settings and for the same, click on the ‘Start’ menu and select ‘Settings’ which is symbolized as a gear-shaped icon.
- In the ‘Settings’ page, you will find several features, choose ‘Update and Security’.
- On the next page, you will get the summary of the Windows Updates including few settings, select ‘Advanced options’.
- Now, scroll down the next page and select ‘Delivery Optimization’.
- On the next page, you will get a feature ‘Allow downloads from other PCs’ select the same and turn the radio button in off mode.
Over to You
That’s it; the above-said solutions will minimize the consumption of memory done by Runtime Broker. However, if still, you have any queries or other issues, then feel free to contact us. We are here to assist you with effective solutions. If you feel this article helpful please like, share and follow our Facebook page.