Most of us have been through a situation where several programs are running in our system’s background unnoticed and without our permission, unnecessarily affecting the performance of our computer. But it draws our attention when the system is facing some serious issues. One such situation is the high CPU usage by the RAVBg64.exe process which causes the system to slow down and even malfunction.
What is the RAVBg64.exe ‘HD audio background’ process?
RAVBg64.exe is an abbreviation for the Realtek Audio-Video Background process (64 bit). It belongs to the Realtek High definition Audio codecs or the Realtek Drivers. The Realtek HD Audio Driver is the interface between the Windows operating system and your hardware. The HD audio background process is the process that plays a crucial role in running the Realtek HD audio background process and handles the operations of the RAVBg64 file and it’s not recommended to terminate it as it will have a serious effect on the Realtek HD Audio tool which helps in maintaining the Audio in your system.
It is noticed that many users after the installation of Windows 10 are facing issues with the RAVBg64.exe process. Complains tell that the RAVBg64.exe process either runs several instances or consumes a huge amount of CPU resources. However, the RAVBg64.exe process should not have high CPU usage.
What causes the RAVBg64.exe to use CPU greedily?
There are few specific reasons behind this error, one is the system files getting corrupt while upgrading. Another most critical reason is that some Professional hackers misuse the RAVBg64 file to conceal their malicious processes under its name and thus get bypassed by antiviruses. This affects the performance of the PC and will eventually lead to your PC getting hanged.
How do I come to know about RAVBg64.exe high CPU usage?
When your system is running slow and if some applications are malfunctioning, its time to open your Task Manager by pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE on Windows. You may notice some process instances running on your CPU and along with that, you can also monitor your CPU resources. The RAVBg64 problem usually occurs after the installation of Windows updates or installing software from unofficial sources. If your ‘HD audio process’ is utilizing tremendous amounts of CPU resources, it means there’s some problem with the RAVBg64 file.
Is the Realtek HD audio manager necessary?
Many of us questioned ourselves if installing the Realtek HD Audio Manager is required when you’re not having any audio issues?
The answer is no, the driver is not crucial for running your PC audio properly.
Should you still have to install it though?
Our answer is yes!
Realtek HD Audio Manager acts as a control panel for your audio adapters. It automatically detects the newly added devices like speakers or headphones or microphones to your PC, allowing you to set them up at your liking.
Can I disable Realtek HD audio manager and what are the effects?
Yes, you can disable the audio manager. Go to the task manager and find the Realtek Audio Driver in the list of applications. Next, open the application properties and go to the adjacent Security Tab and click the Advanced button near the bottom. From there remove everything in the list. Then uninstall the Realtek Audio Driver from the Add or Remove Programs Menu or the Device Manager and simply restart your PC. The only thing that can happen after doing this is your Realtek sound card will stop working (assuming you have it on-board) and you’ll get the ‘HD audio background process has stopped working’ error. You’ll have to re-install it to use again.
There are three ways to troubleshoot this problem :
- Disable and enable Realtek Audio programs
- Uninstall and update Realtek Audio drivers
- Make Registry Modifications.
Most of the time, you unknowingly come across this kind of error, but it’s better if you take some precautions. If the troubleshooting didn’t help to stay free from the RAVBg64.exe error, follow the step-by-step guide given below and let us know if it works for you.
Fix ravbg64.exe High CPU Usage Issue
In order to make the high CPU usage normal, you might need to update Realtek device drivers, disable Realtek HD Audio Manager and then enable it again, edit Windows Registry and to run the System File Checker. So read the guide below and you will find all solutions described step by step and see if the CPU usage gets back to normal after you apply them all. Let’s follow some of the solutions to address this issue.
Restart Realtek Audio Programs
- Open the Run Program by pressing Windows Key + R Key and type msconfig in the search box.
- Open Startup tab and go to Task Manager and then locate to Realtek HD Audio Manager.
- Select the Realtek HD Audio Manager and Disable the tool.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- After this, come back to the Windows icon and right-click on it to select the Device Manager.
- Expand Sound, video and game controller category displayed on the Device Manager index.
- After expanding the Sound, Video and game controllers, particularly select Realtek High Definition Audio controller and right-click on it to disable the device.
- Once successfully Disabled the device, repeat all the steps as mentioned above again. Starting from opening the System configuration by opening the Run Program and start enabling all the Realtek startup items and Realtek Audio devices which were previously disabled.
- Finally, Reboot the system and check whether the HD Audio background process high usage is fixed or not.
Add New Registry Values to fix High CPU Usage by Ravbg64.exe
- By pressing Windows + R key you will open the Run Program. Type regedit in the search box and enter OK to process.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE.
- Under the Software category lookout for SRS Lab’s key if you are unable to find one. Kindly right-click and add a New Key renaming SRS Labs by selecting the New and Key option.
- After adding the ‘SRS Labs’ right-click on it to add the sub-key naming APO.
- Once finished adding the two keys you will see them listed in the registry keys. Restart the computer and look out for the high usage of RAVEBg64.exe has been resolved. If you are still struggling try out the other method.
Reinstall the Realtek Audio Drivers
- On the Windows button, right-click and select Device Manager.
- Expand the Sound, Video and Game controllers option and right-click on Realtek High Definition Audio and select Uninstall.
- Press the OK option if the warning for the Uninstall pop-up assures the system by pressing the Uninstall button.
- Now close everything and Reboot the system.
- Once again open the Device Manager by right-clicking on the Windows button and click on Action tab on the toolbar. Now select Scan for Hardware Changes and wait until the system detects the missing hardware.
- Click on Install driver. The system will find the latest version of the Realtek driver automatically. If for some reason the installation is interrupted go to the manufacturer’s website and download the drivers manually.
Update the Realtek Driver to fix High CPU Usage by Ravbg64.exe
- Open the Device Manager and go to Sound, Video and Game Controllers section and expand it.
- Now locate to the Realtek Audio Driver, right-click on it and select Update Driver to update the Realtek Audio driver.
- Restart the PC to see the problem is fixed in the HD Audio background process.
Run the System File Checker
- Search for Command Prompt in Windows search box and right-click on it and Run it on Administrator mode. When asked by User Account Controller press Yes.
- Now type sfc /scannow command and press enter. The system file checker will start and will take some time to scan the system.
- Wait until the scanning process is complete. Once the scanning is done restart the PC and check if you still have a problem in RAVEBg.exe high usage.
That’s it these are the few solutions in addressing the How to Fix ravbg64.exe (Realtek HD Audio Background Process) High CPU Usage Issue. If you are stuck with such more problems in your system feel free to comment us back. Device trick experts team assures you with a guaranteed solution to resolve your question 24X7.