Windows hello is a feature in the Windows 10 operating system which allows users to protect their devices using fingerprint scanning, facial recognition, and so on. It’s a great way to protect your device as no one can access your computer other than you.
- 1 Causes: Windows Hello Isn’t Available On This Device
- 2 Conclusion
Causes: Windows Hello Isn’t Available On This Device
- In most of the instances, “Windows hello isn’t available on this device” error shows up on the older devices which do not support it.
- The “Windows hello isn’t available on this device” error also occurs incompatible devices due to outdated system drivers or missing crucial Windows 10 updates.
Note: If your device supports Windows hello previously but the Windows hello not working due to the “Windows hello isn’t available on this device” error. You can try the below-given solutions to fix Windows hello isn’t available on this device.
Windows Hello Not Working: Solutions
Devicetricks.com team is always trying to put up its best to help its users to find the best solutions for eliminating the errors. The best possible solutions that you can use to fix this error are listed below:
Update Your Computer
First of all, you have to check whether your computer is working on the latest version or not. Usually, the latest version released by Microsoft will have the fixes for this type of issues. Hopefully, updating your computer to the latest version will fix Windows hello not working.
- Click Windows logo key + I (letter) from the keyboard to open setting on your Windows 10 computer. Alternatively, you can search for settings using the search bar located at the taskbar.
- Navigate to update & security option and click on it.
- On the next screen, select Windows update from the left panel and click on check for updates button. It helps to check any latest version of Windows 10 or updates available for your computer.
- After completion of checking for updates, click on the download button to download and install the updates into your computer.
- Finally, successfully updated your system. Restart your computer and now, check whether the Windows hello isn’t available on the device issue resolved or not.
Note: If you have performed your updated your system recently or no updates available for your system continue to the next solution.
Run Hardware and Device Troubleshooter
The Windows operating system has several in-built troubleshooters, which can fix some of the most common issues related to your computer. You can run hardware and driver troubleshooter to fix issues regarding fingerprint scanner or webcam.
- Go to the search bar provided on the taskbar and type troubleshoot as shown in the figure and select it. You can also go to settings > update & security > troubleshoot.
- Navigate to troubleshoot in the new window, select hardware, and devices from the right panel of the window.
- Next, on the new screen, click on the next button to run hardware and devices troubleshooter.
- Follow the on-screen instruction to complete hardware and devices troubleshoot.
- After completion of troubleshooting, check the Windows Hello isn’t available on this device issue. If this solution didn’t help to fix the issue, continue with the next solution.
Enable Biometric From Administration
If you don’t have the administrator permission to use Windows hello, your system will show Windows hello isn’t available on this device. To fix the problem with administration permission, you have to enable biometric from the administration.
- Simultaneously, press Windows logo key + R on the keyboard to open the Run dialog box. Type gpedit.msc and click on the ok button to open it.
- On the new window, follow the path as here computer configuration > Windows components > Biometrics. Now, on the right side of the panel, click on allow the use of biometrics.
- On the new window, select the enabled option, click on apply and ok buttons as shown in the figure.
- Restart your computer.
If you are facing the issue after updating your drivers, the best option is to roll-back drivers as they have bugs to run Windows hello. Roll back drivers is nothing but the driver is taken to the previous version or before the update where the Windows Hello worked fine without any error.
- Open the device manager through the search bar on the taskbar.
- Navigate to the Biometric devices or imaging devices which update is causing the error.
- Right-click on the device which is causing the error and from the list, select properties.
- Navigate to the driver tab and select the roll back driver option.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the process to switch to the previous version of the driver.
- Restart your computer.
Note: If you have deleted the driver previous version files from you c:\ folders, you will not have an option to roll back. Try other solutions to fix Windows hello isn’t available on this device.
Update Bio-Metric Device
Mostly, drivers are the cause of many issues, and you need to keep them up to date. The Windows may run into conflicts with outdated drivers. The Windows hello not working is one of the issues due to outdated drivers.
- Go to the search bar and type device manager. Click on device manager from the list to open it.
- Locate the Biometric devices or imaging devices option and expand it by double-click on it.
- Under the biometrics category, select the biometric device or imaging device (like a fingerprint scanner, webcam, Microsoft IR camera front, surface camera Windows hello, Windows hello driver) that causing the error Windows hello isn’t available on this device.
- Right-click on the biometric error occurring device and from the list, select update driver option.
- After completion of update driver option, restart your computer.
- Now, check to see if Windows hello is working without any error.
The Windows hello isn’t available on this device error will not allow you to use a Biometric option to sign-in to your computer. The above-given solutions are the possible solutions to fix Windows hello not working issue. If you are still facing the issue, you have to wait until the next Windows update as the Microsoft will fix the bugs in the previous version. Are you having any queries regarding the above solution steps or have a problem with errors in your devices? Get in touch in the comment section and we will help you out with the best possible solution.