Folks, if you are reading this article then most likely you are facing the error Windows Hello isn’t available on this device. Need not worry, you are not alone in the web world to face this error. Many Windows users reported this error and the good news is that you can fix this error by following some easy to execute step at your own. Before that let’s have a glance at what this feature is and why this error occurs on your computer? Keep reading!
What is Windows Hello?
Windows Hello is a feature in the Windows 10 operating system which was introduced in 2015 along with the launch of Windows 10. This feature can be enjoyed on Windows 10 computers, laptops, and notebooks depending on the hardware configuration.
It allows users to protect their devices using fingerprint scanning, facial recognition, and so on rather than suing any password or pin code. It’s a great way to protect your device as no one can access your computer other than you. In the new update, this feature is available for apps also.
After the creator update, users started facing the error Windows Hello isn’t available on this device. You can visit our website to fix the errors related to Windows Update.
Why Windows Hello isn’t Working on this Device?
- Mostly this error shows up on the older devices which do not support it.
- Incompatible devices due to outdated system drivers.
- Missing crucial Windows 10 updates.
Note: If your device supports Windows hello previously but the Windows hello not working due to the “Windows Hello isn’t available on this device” error. You can try the below-given solutions to fix the issue.
How to Fix Windows Hello isn’t Working?
Our team is always trying to put up its best to help its users to find the best solutions for eliminating the errors. The best possible solutions that you can use to fix this error are listed below:
First of all, you have to check whether your computer is working on the latest version or not. Usually, the latest version released by Microsoft will have fixes for this type of issue. Hopefully, updating your computer to the latest version will fix Windows hello not working.
- Click Windows+I keys to open the Settings on your Windows 10 computer.
- Navigate to the Update & Security option and click on it.
- Select Windows Update and click on the check for updates button. It helps to check any latest version of Windows 10 or updates available for your computer.
- After completion of checking for updates, click on the download button to download and install the updates into your computer.
- Finally, successfully updated your system. Restart your computer and check whether the Windows hello isn’t available on the device issue resolved or not.
Note: If you have performed your updated your system recently or no updates available for your system then continue to the next solution.
Run Hardware and Device Troubleshooter
The Windows operating system has several in-built troubleshooters, which can fix some of the most common issues related to your computer. You can run hardware and driver troubleshooter to fix issues regarding fingerprint scanner or webcam.
- Go to the search bar provided on the taskbar and type troubleshoot as shown in the figure and select it.
- Or You can also go to settings > update & security.
- Navigate to troubleshoot in the new window, select hardware, and devices from the right panel of the window and then click on the next button to run hardware and devices troubleshooter.
- Follow the on-screen instruction to complete hardware and devices troubleshoot.
- After completion of troubleshooting, check the Windows Hello isn’t available on this device issue.
Disable Fast Startup
- Press Windows+R keys to open the Run dialog box and type Control Panel and press Enter.
- Navigate to the Hardware and Sound option.
- And then click on the Power options.
- From the left window pane, select ‘Choose what the power buttons does’.
- Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable.
- Uncheck the box Turn on Fast Startup and click on the Save button to confirm changes.
Enable Biometric From Administration
If you don’t have the administrator permission to use Windows Hello, your system will show Windows hello isn’t available on this device. To fix the problem with administration permission, you have to enable biometric from the administration.
- Press Windows+R keys to open the Run dialog box. Type gpedit.msc and click on the OK button to open it.
- On the new window, follow the path as here computer configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Biometrics. Now, on the right side of the panel, click on allow the use of biometrics.
- On the new window, select the enabled option, click on Apply and OK buttons.
- Restart your computer and check for the error.
If you are facing the issue after updating your drivers, the best option is to roll-back drivers as they have bugs to run Windows hello. Rollback driver is nothing but the driver is taken to the previous version or before the update where the Windows Hello worked fine without any error.
- Open the Device Manager through the search bar on the taskbar.
- Navigate to the Biometric devices or imaging devices whose update is causing the error.
- Right-click on that device from the list and select properties.
- Navigate to the Driver tab and select the rollback driver option.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the process of switching to the previous version of the driver.
- Restart your computer and check for the error.
Note: If you have deleted the driver’s previous version files from your c:\ folders, you will not have an option to roll back. Try other solutions to fix this error.
Update Bio-Metric Device
Mostly, drivers are the cause of many issues, and you need to keep them up to date. Windows may run into conflicts with outdated drivers. The Windows Hello not working is one of the issues due to outdated drivers.
- Right-click on the Start button and then click on the Device Manager from the list to open it.
- Locate the Biometric devices or imaging devices option and expand it by double-click on it.
- Under the biometrics category, select the biometric device or imaging device (like a fingerprint scanner, webcam, Microsoft IR camera front, surface camera Windows hello, Windows hello driver) that causing the error Windows hello isn’t available on this device.
- Right-click on the biometric error occurring device and from the list, select update driver option.
- After completion of the update driver option, restart your computer.
- Now, check to see if Windows Hello is working without any error.
Reset Facial/ Fingerprint recognition
- Press Windows+I keys to open Settings and click on Accounts.
- Select sign-in options.
- Navigate to Windows Hello and under it locate Fingerprint and Facial recognition and click on the Remove button.
- Now click on the Get Started button and follow the on-screen options to complete the process.
- Once completed then restart the computer and check for the error.
The above-given solutions are the possible solutions to fix Windows hello not working issue. Let us know in the comment section which method worked for you? Wanna some more DeviceTricks? If you are still facing the issue, you have to wait until the next Windows update as Microsoft will fix the bugs in the previous version. Stay tuned to this space to get the latest updates on errors related to Windows, macOS, and Android.
If you feel this article helpful please like, share, and follow our Facebook page.