In this guide, I am going to tell you about the background information regarding wsappx and provide multiple solutions to fix wsappx high CPU, memory or disk usage issues in Windows 10. If you are looking for solutions to fix this problem, then continue reading below.
WSAPPX is a legitimate Windows process that runs in the background of Windows 10 or Windows 8 systems as a part of the Store and Microsoft’s Universal app platform. Its responsibility is to install, uninstall and update the Store apps. Apart from this, it also ensures the behavior of the purchased apps. Though in many cases, you may encounter wsappx high CPU usage or high hard disk usage on your system.
What is wsappx?
WSAPPX process is generally found in the process list of Task Manager. Initially, it was introduced in Windows 8 only and now it can also be seen in the latest Windows versions like Windows 10.
This process always runs in the background of Windows 10/8 computer as a part of the Windows Store and Microsoft’s Universal app platform. Generally, it is used for installations, updates, and uninstallation of the Store apps. Once you are done with the installation of all updates, you don’t need it. But at many times you might have encountered the high disk usage, CPU or memory by this process.
If you open the process list of the Task Manager, you will find the wsappx. Further, if you expand Wsappx, you will see that one or more sub-services are running (depending on the Windows version) which are as follows:
- Appx Deployment Service (AppXSVC)
- Client License Service (ClipSVC)
- Windows Store Service (WSService)
What is an AppX Deployment Service (AppXSVC)?
WSAPPX includes the AppX Deployment Service (AppXSVC) on both Windows versions (Windows 10 and 8). AppXSVC is responsible for deploying Store apps. It notices that those Universal Windows Platform apps are properly distributed in .AppX packages. Hence the process is named as AppX Deployment Service.
Due to this process only, Windows becomes able to automatically update apps in the background. You must have noted that CPU and disk resources are also used when you install, uninstall or update any Windows traditional desktop app. The AppXSVC is managing all these tasks instead of individual app installer.
Many of the times you might have found that the process is still running even when you are not installing anything. That’s because it keeps on updating the Store app itself in the background.
What is Client License Service (ClipSVC)?
Along with the AppXSVC, you will find one more sub-service running in the background named the Client License Service (ClipSVC). Here on Windows 10 computers, this service handles infrastructure support for the Store. According to Microsoft, if you disable this service, some of your Store-bought apps will not behave correctly.
Normally this service performs a number of different tasks that enable Store apps to behave properly. As its name itself describes, its duties include license management, which ensures that only you can run Store apps, for which you have paid. This is an anti-piracy feature. Apart from that, Microsoft hasn’t explained what other features this service provides to Store apps.
What is Windows Store Service (WSService)?
On Windows 8, you’ll see the Windows Store Service (WSService) instead of ClipSVC. WSService plays the same role in the case of Windows 8. It is a background service and also handles the infrastructure support for the Store. It can be dealt with as the same service as ClipSVC, but it can’t be seen in Windows 10.
As the WSService process typically seems to be the same thing as ClipSVC. It’s just named different on Windows 8.
Why is it using so much CPU?
In general, the wsappx service uses a noticeable amount of CPU during installation, uninstallation, or updating Store apps. But sometimes it may cause the issue of high disk usage, CPU or memory specifically when the process is handling works. Obviously, it will affect the overall performance of your computer.
There might be cases when you have noticed the wsappx active even when the Windows Store is not being used, as discussed above wsappx runs in the background. The reason may be because you have chosen to install or uninstall an app, or because the apps are automatically updating by the Store itself on your system.
If you don’t want to update these included apps, you can disable automatic updates on your apps. For this, just launch the Store, there you will see a user icon on the top right corner of the window, click that user icon, and then select the “Settings” option. Now toggle the “Update apps automatically” slider to the “Off” position. You are done.
Is wsappx a Virus?
Though the wsappx software itself is a part of Windows 10. Till now we haven’t seen any reports of malware named the wsappx, AppXSVC, ClipSVC, or WSService processes. Yes, it may slow down your system processes. It is a matter of disappointment for those users having limited RAM and CPU resources. Still, if you’re concerned about malware, it’s always recommended to run a scan with your preferred antivirus program to check your system for anything wrong.
How to find out WSAPPX high CPU usage?
You can find wsappx by following a few steps that are listed below.
- Hover your mouse cursor to the toolbar, right-click on it and then choose Task Manager from the featured menu.
- Thereafter, a Task Manager Window will open with the list of applications and processes running on your PC.
- Now, move to the WSAPPX section and here in the column of CPU, you will find the process has consumed 100%.
However, if you find wsappx2 or wsappx3, it means the application has 2 or 3 processes.
Now, you are aware of the process and wsappx high CPU is preventing the other applications to run smoothly than usual, but you must know more about wsappx and the below stanza will help you to get more information.
Can I disable wsappx?
If you try to close the process in Task Manager, you will encounter a message telling that
Ending this process will cause Windows to become unusable or shut down, which leads to lose any data that hasn’t been saved.
Thus, I will not advise you to disable the process and its sub-services. However, you can try to prevent it from automatically running in the background and they will be launched only when you need it. Now the question arises, how to do that? To do so continue reading.
How to disable wsappx to fix high CPU and disk usage issues on Windows 10?
If the disk or CPU reaches 100% or is near to that point, then it is not a good signal for your PC, as the space left in your CPU is less and due to the same, the other applications will fail to respond properly and results to lagging. If the issue is due to wsappx then follow these methods to fix the issue
1] Check for Viruses
If your computer is infected with malware or spyware, then wsappx high disk usage arises and to fix the same, you must scan for the viruses and in Windows 10, the task will be done by Windows Defender. Now, follow the steps to scan the virus.
- Press the Start button and then click on the Setting icon located above the Power menu.
- In the Windows settings page, you will find the Update and Security icon, click on it.
- Thereafter, the Windows Update page will open and at the left panel, you will find Windows Security, click on it.
- Now, click on Virus and threat protection.
- Soon, a new window will open and you need to click on Run a new advanced scan options.
- In the Scan options, you will get the types of Scan and it is recommended to go for Full Scan, so click on it.
- That’s it; now wait for a while and allow Windows Defender to scan and remove the viruses.
2] Update Device Drivers manually
Sometimes it may seem that the issue caused by wsappx doesn’t have a direct relation with drivers, and any outdated or corrupted device driver may be the reason behind the issue. If your computer keeps on trying to update drivers automatically and wsappx process may turn to unresponsive and occupy CPU resources. In this case, you can update your device drivers manually. Follow these steps to update drivers in Windows 10.
- Right-click on the Start button and choose the Device Manager option.
- Now expand Display adapters. Right-click on the listed option to select Update driver.
- From the Update Driver Wizard, you have to select Search automatically for updated driver software and Windows 10 will start searching your computer and the web for the latest driver software for your device.
- Sometimes if Windows fails to find out the desired driver updates, you can try searching for desired drivers on the official website of the device’s manufacturer.
3] Turn off the Windows Store using Group Policy Editor
If you are using Windows 10 pro edition, then you can use Group Policy Editor to disable Windows Store.
- Press the Start button, type Group Policy Editor in the search bar and then press the Enter key.
- Thereafter, the Local Group Policy Editor window will open and here you need to double-click on the Computer Configuration located at the left panel.
- Soon, you will find few options at the left panel and you need to double click on Administrative Template.
- In the Administrative Template section, you will get additional options, click on the Windows Components.
- After that, the list of an application contained by Windows Components will appear and you need to scroll down the page to get Store.
- After opening the Store folder followed by double-click, you will have a few options at the right panel and you need to select Turn off the Store application.
- After selecting the feature turn off the Store application, right-click on it and then choose the Edit option from the drop-down menu.
- The above step will direct you to a new window and here you need to click on Enabled and then click on Apply and the OK button.
- After completing the above task, restart your computer.
However, if you are using Windows 10 Home Edition, then you can use the Registry method to disable Windows Store and the process for the same is listed below.
4] Disable Windows Store using Registry
- Press the Windows logo and R keys together to open the Run box.
- Now, type regedit in the box and then click on the OK button.
- Soon, a Registry window will open and you need to double click on the Computer icon.
- The above step will give you a few options, select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and then double click on it. Thereafter, you will find a few folders and you need to select software.
- In the software section, you will get ample of features and your job is to navigate for Policies.
- After getting the Policies folder, double click on it and then select Microsoft.
- Now here you will have to find and select the Windows Key Store and then create DWORD. For that right-click on Windows Key store and select DWORD from the drop-down menu. In the field of name, type RemoveWIndowStore and in the field of Value, keep it 1. However, If you don’t find Windows key store then create a one inside the Microsoft folder.
5] Use the Disk Check method to fix WSAPPX high CPU and disk usage
If you have recently faced this wsappx high CPU issue, then you can access the Disk Check method to fix the issue.
- Press the Start button, type CMD in the search bar and then select the same from the search result and after that right-click on it to choose Run as administrator.
- Soon, a new window will open and here you need to type chkdsk.exe/f/r in the box and then press the Enter key.
- Thereafter, you will be asked for the confirmation and you need to press the Y key to allow the system to fix the issue.
- Now, wait for a while as Windows will take time to resolve the issue.
6] Increase virtual memory
Try increasing the virtual memory by following these steps:
- Type performance in the search box and click on Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows from search results.
- This will open the Performance Options window.
- Switch to the Advanced tab and click on the Change button under the virtual memory section.
- Then in the Virtual Memory window, just uncheck the option Automatically manage paging file size for all drives, select the system volume (usually C: partition) and click Custom size option, as follows.
- In the option for Initial size (MB), enter the value just equivalent to your RAM and enter just the double of your RAM in the Maximum size (MB) option. Now, click Set and OK to save changes and restart your computer.
7] Change the value of AppXSvc in Registry
- Open Registry Editor and navigate to:
- Simply copy this above address in the Registry search bar on the top.
- On the right panel, open the ‘start’ file and change the value from ‘3’ to ‘4’.
- Restart the computer.
8] Troubleshoot in Clean Boot State
If nothing works, then you may need to perform a Clean Boot. Basically it is to make Windows run only on a few essential driver sets and startup programs. This way you can manually isolate the issue in case it is because of any startup programs.
So, these were the solutions to fix wsappx high CPU and disk usage issues. However, if you have any issue related to Windows OS, then feel free to post in the comment box and we will offer you the utmost solution to fix the same. Hence, stay connected and access the features of Windows OS efficiently.