To run your system, a regular update of the Windows is necessary but many people are facing serious issues when they are upgrading their system. “Failure in configuring Windows updates Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer” error is an ordinary problem which has a proper cure to get rid of it. Devicetricks have come up with some easy to do steps which will guide you systematically to resolve the issue in no time.
What does Failure Configuring Windows Updates Reverting Changes error mean?
Upgrading your system to a higher level, many a time ends up into freezing the Window and pop up with an error message saying that “Failure in configuring Windows updates Reverting changes loop. Do not turn off your computer”. This error shows that the current operating system tries to roll back to the previous Windows system as it was before the update. Updating the Windows can fail for many reasons each one of them is listed below.
Why the error failure Configuring Windows Updates Reverting Changes occurs?
While Updating Windows, there could be so many things that can cause Windows to freeze. On earlier Windows versions when this error occurred, the Windows operating system tries to roll back to its previous version. That is it happens always when you see this error on your screen.
There can be various reasons due to which updates can fail. Some of these are listed below:
- The installed software is not compatible with the computer.
- During testing, no issue has seen but sometimes the update itself is the main cause.
- Interference is observed by the removable media.
- At a time, a number of updates create a load on the operating system.
As we all know that the Windows Update may introduce some new features to the OS and going to fix some bugs. There are chances that these updates may create some problems for the users: like data loss or Windows doesn’t boot after Update. So before going to fix this issue, it is always recommended to adopt some preventive measure to avoid such unexpected issues.
Create System Image before Updating Windows?
It is always recommended to create a system image to protect your important data so that your computer can be restored easily to the previous working state if any accidents happen. To create a system image there are many tools and software available online to download. Use any of them to create the system image as per your ease.
Once the system image is created you can easily try the below-mentioned solutions to fix the error.
How to Fix Failure Configuring Windows Updates Reverting Changes Error?
We have tried for you some easy to execute solutions to fix this error. Let’s have a look at these fixes one by one.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- From Microsoft download the Windows Update troubleshooter.
- Hit Next button on the displayed window of troubleshooter.
- After troubleshooting, once the issue is finished try installing the Windows update.
Install the updates in a clean boot state
- Run the operating system in an administrator mode and open the run program by pressing Windows + R key altogether and type msconfig and hit enter.
- Select the Selective startup in the window and untick the load startup items.
- In the menu bar select the service tab and tick mark by clicking on Hide all Microsoft services option and simultaneously click on Disable all option and hit OK to save the changes.
- Restart the computer to bring your computer in a clean boot state after the restart.
Clear the Cache Files
- Open the run program and type services.msc and press OK to open the services window.
- Scroll down the list and search for Windows update and double click on it.
- To stop the services click on the Stop button and save the changes by pressing OK.
- Once again scroll down the list and search for Background Intelligent Transfer Services. Double-click on it to stop the services as done in the previous step.
- Once done minimize the service window.
- Press Windows Key + E key all together to open Windows File Explorer.
- Navigate to c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete all the files by selecting all the files by pressing Ctrl +A key altogether. Right-click on it select delete option from the menu.
- Maximize the service window and once again scroll down in the list to search Window Update and Background Intelligent Transfer Services and re-start the services which were earlier stopped.
- Restart the computer and look out whether the problem is resolved or not.
Restoring or Reinstalling the Windows
- Right-click on This PC, select Properties from the menu.
- In the properties window select System protection option.
- System protection tab will lead you to system properties where you need to select the system restore option.
- Now follow the instruction displayed on the screen and finish the process.
- Following this method should resolve the issue if still the problem persists perform a reinstallation of the operating system.
- Re-installation is performed by using a Windows installation media like a DVD or USB drive and perform the complete process.
- Finally, restart the computer after completion of all the process.
Install the updates in Safe Mode
- Press F8 key during the reboot of the system and select “Safe Mode with networking”.
- This will help in landing you on a desktop then press the Windows + R key altogether to open the RUN program and type “msconfig” and click OK to open the program.
- Navigate to the Boot tab in the System Configuration window. Ensure that the Safe boot box is marked as a tick and Minimal option is selected which is shown underneath it. Once everything is checked press OK and Apply button to save the changes.
- Once you press the apply button the system will ask you to restart the system press the restart button to proceed the process.
- Restart the system in Safe Mode, open the Settings and search for Update and Security.
- Click on the Windows update button to update the Windows.
- Once the Windows updating is done restart the computer in safe mode.
- Once again open the System Configuration by typing msconfig in Run program dialogue box as done in the previous steps.
- Return to the Boot tab once again, this time uncheck the Safe boot box and click OK & Apply the changes and restart the computer.
Run SFC scan
- Look out for Command Prompt in the search box of Start menu and Run as Administrator.
- In the command prompt window type sfc /scannow and hit Enter button to start the process.
- Wait till the process completes. Restart the system to check the error.
Remove all external peripherals from PC
Generally, a storage device such as USB drives. Memory cards and the disk does not create any problem, but when the system restarts, the media storage drive starts to perform and might cause an issue. So to get rid of this problem, follow the steps provided below.
- First and foremost, shut down your PC and for that, press and hold the power button for 45 seconds.
- Now, remove all external device from PC such as USB drive, memory card, and any disk from CD/DVD ROM.
- The external memory cards can be simply removed, but to remove the disk inserted in the CD drive, you need a paper pin and then insert the same in the disk hole.
- After removing all the external devices, turn ON your computer.
- This time, the Windows Update will work smoothly.
Manually select the updates
Windows Updates are available in the bunch and downloading all the files at the same time may cause an issue. So, you can separate the update files manually and then install the updates to fix the issue.
If you found ‘Fix failure configuring Windows Update reverting changes error on your screen, it means you can’t access the login panel. So, here you need to enter into the safe mode to apply the process listed below.
- Shut Down your computer completely.
- Now, turn on your PC and if you found the continuous loop on the screen, then turn it off again by pressing and holding the power button for 45 seconds.
- Repeat the above process 3 times and then you will find the Safe Mode option on your screen. Make sure to select ‘Safe Mode with Networking’.
- After reaching to the Safe mode, click on the Start menu, type ‘Control Panel’ in the search bar and then hit the ‘Enter’ key.
- In the Control Panel window, you will get several options, select ‘System and Security’.
- Thereafter, you will find the option to Windows Update, click on it.
- Now, click on ‘Important Updates’ menu and from the drop-down menu, select ‘Check for Updates but let me choose whether to download and install them’.
- After completing the above task, click on the checkbox stating ‘Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates’. Make sure that this box should be checked and the rest of them should be unchecked.
- Go back to the Windows Update page and at the left panel, you will find the number of updates available for you, click on it.
- Soon, you will find the list of updates and all you need to install them one by one. When the updates are installed, repeat the above-mentioned process again to complete the full update process.
- After completing the entire update process, restart your computer.
Perform a System Restore Task
The system restores feature in Windows OS is just like a time machine that will bring your OS back to the state where it was performing smoothly. To utilize this feature, you must have a system restore point that you had generated earlier. If you don’t have the same, then you can’t access this feature. Now, follow the steps provided below to bring back your OS to the working state.
- Turn ON your computer and then login with the administration password.
- Now, insert the Windows OS disk in the CD/DVD drive and then restart your computer.
- Thereafter, the Windows installation page will appear on your screen, select the time, date and language. After completing the step, click on the ‘Next’ button.
- Soon, you will get ‘System Recovery Options’ and your job is to select the ‘System Restore’ option.
- After that, you will be directed to the page where you have generated the restore point, select the one and then click on the ‘Next’ button.
- After the completion of the restore process, restart your computer.
These are the solutions to solve this error. let us know in the comment section which one worked for you. Wanna some more DeviceTricks? Stay tuned to this space for such tutorials and guides related to errors on Windows, Mac and Android.
If you feel this article helpful then please like, share and follow our Facebook page to get our regular updates.
Leave a Reply