Airdrop will allow you to transfer files easily among Mac, iPhone, and iPad. It uses a combination of technologies to transfer files securely. AirDrop makes use of Bluetooth to find devices and the device you send from creates a secure WiFi network connection to receive and send files. That is because of which it is the fastest, reliable, and secure to use. In this article, I will show you how to fix the issue AirDrop not working on Mac, iPhone, and iPad.
- 1 Factors causing Airdrop not working on Mac
- 2 Devices which support Airdrop:
- 2.1 AirDrop not working on Mac, iPhone, and iPad: Solutions
- 2.2 If the above solutions don’t work, try starting the below solutions to fix AirDrop not working on Mac, iPhone, and iPad.
- 2.2.1 Allow Everyone to Send Files
- 2.2.2 Now Turn Off and On the Wifi and Bluetooth On Mac and iOS Devices
- 2.2.3 Make sure that blocking all incoming connections is disabled On Mac
- 2.2.4 Reset Network Settings
- 2.2.5 Don’t Use Special Character’s
- 2.2.6 Software Update on iPhone or iPad
- 3 Conclusion
Factors causing Airdrop not working on Mac
Generally, there are several things you need to consider before using Airdrop on MAC. Consider these as preconditions. These factors will keep you in safe side by not getting an issue of AirDrop not working on MAC.
- Make sure that your devices are in iOS 7/ Mac or X lion (10.7) or later versions.
- Before you turn on Airdrop on MAC, make sure that both Bluetooth and WiFi are enabled.
- To secure the transfer, the optimal distance between the two devices should be within 30 feet.
There are several reasons why this feature is not working correctly. Before we start with the troubleshooting, make sure you have checked the following requirements of AirDrop given below.
Devices which support Airdrop:
- Late-2008 MacBook Pro, excluding late-2008 17-inch MacBook Pro
- Late-2010 MacBook Air
- Late-2008 MacBook, excluding late-2008 white MacBook
- Early-2015 MacBook with 12-inch Retina display
- Mid-2010 Mac mini
- Early-2009 Mac Pro with AirPort Extreme card
- Mid-2010 Mac Pro
- Early-2009 Mac
And also it should be noted that any model newer than the one above mentioned model should work. The above devices have the possibility of getting AirDrop not working on MAC issue.
AirDrop not working on Mac, iPhone, and iPad: Solutions
- Make sure that Airplane mode is turned off. Because when it is enabled, it turns off all the radios. These are basic steps to solve AirDrop not working issue.
- You should make sure that DO NOT DISTURB mode is disabled. Whenever DND is enabled, all the notifications will be silenced. We know that when we transfer a file via Airdrop, we get an alert. If DND is enabled, we will not get this alert.
- On the device, open Settings→Do Not Disturb → Turn off the Switch.
- It is also suggested to turn off the personal hotspot because, both the hotspot and Airdrop uses WiFi. If both are enabled and one of them is functioning, it prevent others from functioning.
- Open settings in IOS→Personal Hotspot and turn off the switch next to it.
- Airdrop on MAC uses Bluetooth technology. Make sure the devices placed within 30feet distance. At times, opaque bodies may become an obstacle. So place the devices near each other to speed up the Bluetooth reception.
- Moreover do not send multiple files types like images, docs, and web links at a time. Instead, send the same type of files at a time.
If the above solutions don’t work, try starting the below solutions to fix AirDrop not working on Mac, iPhone, and iPad.
First of all, make sure that you have allowed everyone to send you files.
Allow Everyone to Send Files
Start from the scratch
- Open Finder on Mac.
- Click on Go menu and select Airdrop as shown in the figure.
- A new window opens, click on the Dropdown arrow which is next to Allow me to discover by and then select Everyone.
Now Turn Off and On the Wifi and Bluetooth On Mac and iOS Devices
- Open Settings → WiFi/Bluetooth and turn off the WiFi/Bluetooth.
- Finally, restart your device and switch on WiFi, and Bluetooth. Mostly, this solution will fix the issue else try the below solutions.
- Click on WiFi and turn it off. In a similar way click on the Bluetooth option and turn it off as shown in the figure.
- Now, before sharing files, restart the device. After rebooting, turn on the Bluetooth and WiFi. Now try to send the files. In most of the scenarios, it will work.
Make sure that blocking all incoming connections is disabled On Mac
If we set the firewall to block all the incoming connections that result in AirDrop not working on Mac issue. So, you have to make sure to disable firewall block of connections to transfer files through Airdrop without any interruption. The below steps gives helps to fix the issue AirDrop not working on MAC.
- Open System preferences in MAC.
- A new window opens, click on Security and Privacy.
- Next, select the Firewall tab → click on the Lock icon in the lower left corner of the window.
- Now enter the Admin Password and click on the unlock button.
- Next, click on the Firewall Options as shown in the figure.
- On the next screen, uncheck the box next to ‘Block all Incoming Connections’. Look at the image for a clear idea.
- Finally, click on the ok button to save the changes.
- Close all the windows.
Note: If already the box is unchecked, this solution will not help you out. Continue with the below solutions.
Reset Network Settings
Disconnect the device from WiFi network and then try to reconnect it. For this, Open Settings → WiFi → Forget this Network and Confirm. If this doesn’t solve the problem, then reset the network.
- Initially, launch the Settings iOS → General
- Now click on Reset → Reset Network Settings and Confirm
- Firstly, launch System Preferences and click on Network.
- Now click WiFi in the list and click on advanced.
- Select the network you want to forget and click on (-) to remove it.
- Lastly, now reconnect to the WiFi network on the iPhone or MAC.
Don’t Use Special Character’s
Mostly, do not use special characters and spaces in the name of iPhone or MAC. For example, #, (, % etc. This may help to solve the issue AirDrop not working on MAC and iPhone.
- Open System Preferences → Sharing → Computer Name and Change it.
- After the name change, restart your Mac and try to connect to AirDrop. This will work with Mac’s that have an issue with special characters.
- Open Settings → General → About → Name and Edit it
- Finally, once you change the name of the device, reboot the device and check if the issue is resolved.
Software Update on iPhone or iPad
If still, the problem remains the same, then go for a software update. Apple’s operating system always brings fixes to the bugs through updates. So, as it is better to go for an update for this Airdrop issue.
Update iOS on iPhone or iPad.
- Open Settings on iOS
- Click on General → Software Update
- Download and install software into the device.
- Open MAC App Store
- Click on the updates and then update the software.
The above all are possible solutions for fixing AirDrop not working on MAC issue. Still, you have any more queries or suggestions you can contact us and visit our website for step by step guide for the errors related to Windows and Android. Give your feedback in the comments section.
Liked the Guide? Don’t Forget to Share with your Family & Friends