Windows Operating System has provided various features which are user-friendly, but sometimes the users get stuck while formatting the disk partition files and get an error ‘Windows was unable to complete the Format’. This error can occur in US Flash Drive, HDD, SD Card, and Pen Drive.
So, if you are facing the same issue and wondering about the solution, then you have landed on the right place. Here, you will get the brief information about the issue and the solution. Keep reading!
Overview of “Windows was unable to complete the Format” Error
Almost all of us use the method of Disk formatting to format or cleaning of hard drive or removable disk. It is very effective in cleaning up the disk partition files. Sometimes when we carry out Disk formatting on a removable disk, Windows displays a message saying “Windows was unable to complete the format“. This error message always appears in the case of a USB flash drive or SD card. When you try to open the removable disk, Windows prompts that “you need to format the disk in drive H before you can use it, do you want to format it?”
When you choose the option to format the drive then your drive turns inaccessible and can’t be formatted and you encounter the error message.
Why the Error “Windows was unable to complete the Format” occur?
The probable and possible causes for the “Windows was unable to complete the format” error are listed and described below:
If the drive is write-protected, then you will have to reshuffle the write protection before formatting the drive. Now the question arises’ How to figure out whether the drive is write-protected or not?’ For the solution, copy anything on the drive and if the message appears ‘The disk is write-protected’ then the disk is protected. So, this is one of the causes which won’t allow windows to format the Disk/Drive or any third party utility.
The damaged drive is yet another cause for this issue. No matter whether it is physical damage or internal damage, if Windows is not able to format the drive, then replace it or move to the repair center, but that will cost you more.
USB Drive or external hard disk is usually connected to many computers, and this may lead to the attack of the viruses. These dangerous viruses occupy the space of the drive-by uploading the various files and thus damage the disk.
No Partition on Drive
If the Drive is empty, then this issue will appear. However, the initial of the drive will be shown in Disk Management, but Windows performs the formatting task on the partition drives. So, double-check the Hard Drive before operating.
After revealing the causes of the issue ‘Windows was unable to complete the format’. Now, we will guide you to fix the above-said problem. But make sure, the solution will not work if the USB drive is corrupted or damaged. Now, follow the steps listed beneath to accomplish the task.
How to Fix “Windows was unable to complete the Format” Error?
Let’s begin with the basic solution and if the issue is resolved with these remedies, then no need to move further.
- First and foremost, scan the disk for viruses using Antivirus and then delete the malware.
- Sometimes, the device is not compatible with the latest version of Windows. So, you need to update the programs, and you can perform the task from the BIOS Settings. Well, entry to the BIOS is quite simple; boot your computer and then press the ‘DEL’ key to enter the BIOS Settings.
- Bad sectors on Hard Drive also create such an issue, so you will have to repair the same. The repair method is listed in a brief solution.
Repair Bad Sector
- Open My Computer.
- Select the Drive in which you are facing the issue, right-click on it, and select Properties.
- A new window will appear on the screen, select Tools from the featured options.
- Now, move to the Error Checking section and click on Check.
- Again a new window will feature on your screen, and you need to click on Scan drive.
- Wait for the process to complete.
- After completing the above process, you can format the Drive.
No Partition on Drive
If the Disk is showing the unallocated space, not partition then you will have to recreate the partition using Disk Management and the process is quite simple which is listed beneath.
- Hover your cursor to My Computer select the same and then right-click on it and from the featured options, select Manage.
- After that, a new window will appear on your screen, beneath the Storage section, you will find Disk Management, click on it.
- Now, select the removable disk from the menu, right-click on it and select New Simple Volume.
- Again, a new window will appear, and you need to follow the instructions and make sure to set down the volume size.
- After finishing the above steps, you can perform the format operation of the Disk.
Use Command Prompt
You can create a partition on Disk using the Windows command line. Follow these steps:
- Press Windows+R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Type diskpart and press Ok.
- In the command prompt window type the following commands one by one and press Enter
“select disk 2” where 2 is the disk number of the removable disk
“create partition primary”
“format FS=NTFS quick”
“assign letter N:” where N: denotes the drive letter for USB drive
Fix RAW File System
The RAW drive can’t be formatted with the basic solution, so you need to perform the additional task to wind up the format operation.
- Open Disk Management and for the same, right-click on My Computer and then select Manage.
- Select the USB Drive from the list, right-click on it, and then click on Format.
- A new window will appear which will ask for the confirmation of the Volume, File System, and more, click on OK to confirm.
- After that, a warning message will appear on your screen showing Format will erase all the data. So, if you want to take the backup, then click on the Cancel button and take the backup. However, if you retain the hard drive copy, then click on the OK button to continue.
These solutions will fix the issue. However, if you stuck at some point or need any assistance, you may contact us. We are the prominent tech support agencies offering a wide range of solutions to any issues. The techies work around the clock for the support of the users. So, you may seek for assistance anytime. If you feel this article helpful please like, share, and follow our Facebook page.
Leave a Reply