Windows Operating System has provided various features which are user-friendly, but sometimes the users get stuck while formatting the disk partition files and get an error ‘Windows was unable to complete the Format’. This error can occur in US Flash Drive, HDD, SD Card, and Pen Drive.
So, if you are facing the same issue and wondering for the solution ‘Why Windows was unable to complete the Format’, then you have landed on the right place. Here, you will get the brief information about the issue and the solution. Before moving further, let’s hunt down the real cause behind this issue.
- 1 Why Windows was unable to complete the Format?
- 2 Troubleshooting Steps to fix ‘Windows was unable to complete the Format’
- 3 Still facing the issue
Why Windows was unable to complete the Format?
1. Protected Drive
If the Drive is write protected, then you will have to reshuffle the write protection before formatting the drive. Now the question arises’ How to figure out whether the drive is write protected or not?’ For the solution, copy anything on the drive and if the message appears ‘The disk is write protected’ then the disk is protected. So, this is one of the causes which won’t allow windows to format the Disk/Drive or any third party utility.
2. Damaged Drive
The damaged drive is yet another cause for this issue. No matter whether it is physical damage or internal damage, if Windows is not able to format the drive, then replace it or move to the repair center, but that will cost you more.
3. Virus Attack
USB Drive or external hard disk is usually connected to many computers, and this may lead to the attack of the viruses. These dangerous viruses occupy the space of the drive by uploading the various files and thus damage the disk.
4. No Partition on Drive
If the Drive is empty, then this issue will appear. However, the initial of the drive will be shown in Disk Management, but Windows performs the formatting task on the partition drives. So, double check the Hard Drive before operating.
After revealing the causes of the issue ‘Windows was unable to complete the format’. Now, we will guide you to fix the above-said problem. But make sure, the solution will not work if the USB drive is corrupted or damaged. Now, follow the steps listed beneath to accomplish the task.
Troubleshooting Steps to fix ‘Windows was unable to complete the Format’
Let’s begin with the basic solution and if the issue is resolved with these remedies, then no need to move further.
- First and foremost, scan the viruses using Antivirus and then delete the malware.
- Sometimes, the device is not compatible with the latest version of the windows. So, you need to update the programs, and you can perform the task from the BIOS Settings. Well, entry to the BIOS is quite simple; boot your computer and then press ‘DEL’ key to enter in the BIOS Settings.
- Bad sectors on Hard Drive also create such an issue, so you will have to repair the same. The repair method is listed in a brief solution.
1. Repair Bad Sector
- Open ‘My Computer’.
- Select the Drive in which you are facing the issue, right-click on it and select ‘Properties’.
- A new window will appear on the screen, select ‘Tools’ from the featured options.
- Now, move to the ‘Error Checking’ section and click on ‘Check’.
- Again a new window will feature on your screen, and you need to click on ‘Scan drive’.
- Wait for the process to complete.
- After completing the above process, you can format the Drive.
2. No Partition on Drive
If the Disk is showing the unallocated space, not partition then you will have to recreate the partition using Disk Management and the process is quite simple which is listed beneath.
- Hover your cursor to ‘My Computer’ select the same and then right click on it.
- From the featured options, select ‘Manage’.
- After that, a new window will appear on your screen, beneath the ‘Storage’ section, you will find ‘Disk Management’, click on it.
- Now, select the removable disk from the menu, right-click on it and select ‘New Simple Volume’.
- Again, a new window will appear, and you need to follow the instructions and make sure to set down the volume size.
- After finishing the above steps, you can perform the format operation of the Disk.
3. Fix RAW File System
The RAW Drive can’t be formatted with the basic solution, so you need to perform the additional task to wind up the format operation.
- Open Disk Management and for the same, right-click on ‘My Computer’ and then select ‘Manage’.
- Select the USB Drive from the list, right-click on it and then click on ‘Format’.
- A new window will appear which will ask for the confirmation of the Volume, File System and more, click on ‘OK’ to confirm.
- After that, a warning message will appear on your screen showing ‘Format will erase all the data’. So, if you want to take the backup, then click on the ‘Cancel’ button and take the backup. However, if you retain the hard drive copy, then click on the ‘OK’ button to continue.
Still facing the issue
These all solutions will fix the issue. However, if you stuck at some point or need any assistance, you may contact us. We are the prominent tech support agencies offering a wide range of solution to any issues. The techies work around the clock for the support of the users. So, you may seek for assistance anytime.