External drives are handy to use and enable the users to store the additional data. The device is easy to configure in the PC and works efficiently. But, sometimes, the coordination between the Windows and Hard drive lacks and as a result an issue arises popularly known as ‘Hard Drive not detected’. So, if you are facing an issue, then don’t worry because here you will get the finest solution to resolve such an issue. But, before moving further, let’s find out the reasons behind an issue.
Why Hard Drive not detected on my PC screen?
The Hard drive not detected or not recognized simply denote that Windows is not accepting such drive and the reason may be the improper partition, USB Port failure, Lack of driver update and other. The above-mentioned reasons are the primary one which led to such issue. Now, let’s move to the solution part.
How to fix an issue ‘Hard Drive not detected’?
As stated earlier, there are many causes behind an issue, so obviously you must follow few advanced solutions to get rid of this issue. The detailed procedure is listed below and your job is to follow them until you find the success.
Check whether Windows is detecting the Hard Drive or not
This is the primary task and before moving to the troubleshooting steps, let’s checks whether the OS is supporting the Hard Drive or not. The process is simple and the quick steps are listed beneath.
- Open ‘Run’ box by pressing ‘Windows’ key and ‘R’ key together.
- Now type, ‘diskmgmt.msc’ in the dialog box and then hit ‘Enter’.
- Thereafter, a new window will appear and it will show the list of drives and the compositions.
However, if you are unable to trace your external hard drive, then don’t get annoyed. Might be Windows has not detected the drive. Now, move to the next section and allow the Windows to recognize the hard drive.
Enable Windows to detect the Hard Drive
- Press ‘Windows’ key and ‘R’ key together to open the ‘Run’ dialog box.
- Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in the box and hit Enter.
- Thereafter, you will find a new window symbolized as ‘Device Manager’.
- Now, move to the ‘Disk drives’ section and click on the arrow button to expand its features.
- Upon expansion, you will get few drives and your job is to select the appropriate one and then double click on it.
- Again, a pop-up will appear on your PC screen and this time, it will show the relevant features of the selected hard drive.
- Click on the ‘Driver’ tab, located at the top of the page.
- Thereafter, you will find the advanced options of the hard drive.
- First and foremost, update the driver and for the same, click on the option ‘Update Driver’.
- After updating, if the issue still persists, then you can go with an option ‘Roll Back Driver’. This feature will bring back the hard drive to the previously installed driver.
- However, if all fails, then ‘Uninstall’ the driver and then take off the Hard Drive. Now, restart your computer.
- Insert the Hard drive on the USB port of the PC and allow the Windows to configure it automatically.
Assign the Drive Letter to the Hard Drive
Windows recognize those hard drives which are symbolized with the Drive letters. However, if you have set up Hard Drive manually and unfortunately overlooked the Drive Letter section, then this led to an issue ‘Hard Drive not detected’ on the PC screen. The steps for the above solution is listed below which will help you to make changes in the Hard Drive.
- Open the ‘Run’ box by pressing the ‘Windows’ key and ‘R’ keys together.
- Type ‘diskmgmt.msc’ in the space provided by the dialog box and then click on ‘OK’ button.
- Now, select the drive from the list of available drives.
- After selecting the hard drive, right-click on it and select an option ‘Change drive letter and path’ from the drop-down menu.
- Thereafter, a pop-up will appear on screen which will give you an access to change the ‘Drive Letter or Path’. Click on the box ‘Assign the following drive letter’ and then choose the letter from the drop-down menu, located at the extreme right of the Device Management page.
Format the Hard Drive
Formatting the Hard Drive will fix the issue ‘Hard Drive not detected’ on the computer. But, before moving ahead, make sure to take the backup of the data stored in the hard drive, otherwise, you will lose all the data amid the operation.
- Open ‘Run’ box by pressing the ‘Windows’ key and ‘R’ key together.
- Now, type ‘diskmgmt.msc’ and click on ‘OK’ button.
- Thereafter, a new window will open which will feature the list of drives.
- Select the appropriate one, right-click on it and select ‘Format’.
- A new pop-up will appear on the screen and will seek for the permission, click on ‘OK’ button.
The above-mentioned solution will fix the issue ‘Hard Drive not detected’. However, if you stuck amid the steps or failed to complete the task, then feel free to contact us. We will offer the utmost solution and will resolve the issue within a short span of time. Being a prominent technical firm, we retain the skilled and highly experienced geeks whose prime aim is to fix the issue by utilizing the advanced tools and technology. Hence, stay tuned with us and enjoys the salient features of the Operating System without any interruption.