Windows Media Player is one of the successfully launched software for Windows and it is usually bug-free but recently it has been noticed that many users are facing Windows Media Player “server execution failed” error on Windows 10. Users complain regularly that while closing the Windows Media Player or playing another file, server execution failed error pop-up.
What does Windows Media Player error “Server execution failed” mean?
As we all are aware that WMP (Windows Media Player) launched by Microsoft is the primary media player in Windows 10. This media player is a built-in component of all Windows operating systems for a long time. It is light on resourced and easy to use.
Many users reported that they are unable to play media files and when trying to play music using WMP, they encountered an error “Server Execution Failed“. Once this error occurred you will not be able to play media files for some time. Even after the reinstallation of WMP, the error will not resolve.
Today, in this guide, I will walk you through the steps to resolve this error.
Why the Windows Media Player error “Server execution failed” occurs on Windows 10?
The main reason to get this kind of error is settings for Windows Media Player network streaming may be corrupted or the working of Windows Media Player sharing service is incorrectly functioning or it might occur because of an update that doesn’t permit Windows Media Player to recognize the type of file.
How to Fix Windows Media Player Error “Server execution failed” on Windows 10?
In order to save you from how to fix “Windows Media Player, server execution failed” problem on Windows 10 DeviceTricks has come up with an effective solution that will help in troubleshooting the issue sequentially.
End the Windows Media Player task from the Task Manager
- Press Windows+R keys to open the Run dialog box and type taskmgr to open the Task Manager.
- Once the task manager is opened select the Windows Media Player from the process pane and click on the End task button.
- Check if the server execution failed the problem resolved or not. If not try another possibility to fix it.
Disable Windows Media Player Network Sharing Services
- Press Windows+R keys to open the Run dialog box and type services.msc in the search box and press Enter.
- Once the services section is opened scroll down to Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service and then right-click to open Properties.
- In Properties of Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service, it will take you to General pane under which you have to set the Startup type to be Disabled and then click OK.
- Restart the PC and look for the error.
Register DLL files through command prompt
- Search for Command prompt in Start menu and right-click to run Command prompt as Administrator. And click Yes when asked by User Account Control.
- Once the Command Prompt run as Administrator is opened type regsvr32.exe jscript.dll and press Enter, when it’s done click OK.
- Again type regsvr32.exe vbscript.dll and press Enter, when it’s done click OK.
- Once done close the Command Prompt and check for the error.
Add the Administrator group in Local Service
- Search for Command prompt in Start menu and right-click to Run as Administrator. Click Yes when asked by User Account Control.
- Type net localgroup “Administrators” “NT Authority\Local Service” / add and press Enter.
- When the processing is done close the Command Prompt and restart the PC and look for the error server execution failed gone.
Use Windows store apps troubleshooter
- Open the Windows Settings page and go to Updates and Security.
- Open the Troubleshoot tab and select Windows store apps troubleshooter and run the program.
- Restart the computer to check the problem.
- Open the Run Program and type msconfig and click OK to open it.
- Under General tab click to select Selective startup option and then make sure the Load startup items box is unchecked.
- Under the same window click on the Boot tab and make sure the Safe Boot option is unchecked.
- Proceed further to go in the Services tab and select Hide all Microsoft services option and Disable all of them.
- Under the Startup tab, click on the Open Task Manager option. In Task Manager right-click on each Startup item which is enabled and select Disable.
- Restart your PC to check the problem.
- To update Windows go to the Windows Settings page and select the Update and Security option.
- In Update & Security check for Windows latest updates.
- Restart the computer to see the problem of server execution.
Reinstall Windows Media Player
- Open the Control Panel through the Run Program.
- From Control Panel open Programs option to get into Programs and features page and select Turn Windows Features on or off.
- Scroll down in Windows features to expand the Windows Media Player option.
- Uncheck the box next to the Windows Media Player option and restart the system.
- Open the Settings page by clicking on the Start button and go to the Apps section.
- Scroll down the Installed Apps list on the system to select Java.
- Select Java and click on uninstall to remove it from the system and restart the PC.
- After restarting the system download java from its website and install it on the system again.
Hopefully, this tutorial is the perfect remedy for your problem. We believe in fixing these kinds of errors at the primary level first before visiting any IT specialist to fix it. Let us know in the comment section which method worked for you? Wanna some more DeviceTricks? Stay tuned to this space to get the latest updates on errors related to Windows, macOS, and Android.
If you like this tutorial please like, share, and follow our Facebook page.
Leave a Reply