Oh, Windows 10 is crashing on startup! Is that your story too? Not to worry friends you are not alone on the list there are many users who are facing the same issue. This kind of error is encounter normally because of the accumulation of Temp files or installation of incompatible App or memory installation on your PC could be the reason behind Windows crashing on startup or the system files are being corrupted or the antivirus is not updated.
Windows 10 is in high demand because Windows 10 is a wonderful Windows OS, still, it’s not perfect. Like other Windows OS, it also has some defects. It offers a number of great features to the users. Most of these features are not available on older versions. To enjoy its intriguing features, many users prefer to update their Windows OS to Windows 10. When you boot Windows 10 on your system, sometimes Windows 10 freezes on startup. Apparently, this is a common problem. It’s really irritating when you start your computer for some important work and suddenly your Windows freezes during the startup process. You’re not suffering alone…many Windows 10 users face the same issue. There are a number of causes of the Windows OS freezing issue. Luckily, we have many easy solutions for this annoying problem.
- 1 Why do Windows 10 freezes on startup
- 1.1 “Windows 10 Freezes on startup or Boot” Error: Solutions
- 1.1.1 Enter Safe mode
- 1.1.2 Fix the hardware problem if your computer freezes on startup
- 1.1.3 Disable fast Startup
- 1.1.4 Disconnect USB devices
- 1.1.5 Disk Surface Test
- 1.1.6 Perform Clean Boot
- 1.1.7 Update Graphic Card Drives
- 1.1.8 Run Windows Memory Diagnostics
- 1.1.9 Disable AppXSvc
- 1.1.10 Perform System Restore
- 1.1.11 Clear Temp files from the Computer
- 1.1.12 Uncheck Hardware Acceleration
- 1.1 “Windows 10 Freezes on startup or Boot” Error: Solutions
- 2 Conclusion:
Why do Windows 10 freezes on startup
Sometimes, when you try to turn on your computer, your system only displays blue Windowpane. If you reboot your system, everything is back to normal. But, as long as you don’t solve this problem, it happens again and again.
“Windows 10 Freezes on startup or Boot” Error: Solutions
Devicetricks is the only gateway where all your problems are solved. A list of solutions is shown in the following tutorial to solve your problem. To fix the error no extra prep is needed, the only thing you should have is patience if one solution doesn’t fix the problem try the next method from the following solutions.
Enter Safe mode
It is easy to solve the issue by entering safe mode. There are 4 different operations that you can perform for different situations in Safe Mode.
- Some Windows 10 users say that when they try to update the Nvidia Drivers, suddenly their computer screen becomes black. When they do a hard reset of the system, Windows 10 black screen with spinning dots problem occurs. If you also encounter this issue, you should enter the Safe Mode, and then you should make a rollback of the Nvidia drivers. Now reboot your system in normal mode.
- Sometimes, Windows update or other technical issues create the “Windows stuck on loading screen” issue. In this case, you should enter the Safe Mode, and then you just need to reboot your computer.
- In some cases, virus or malware may also cause “Windows stuck on loading screen” problem. In this case, you should scan your computer in Safe Mode by using any antivirus software. After removing all the viruses and malware from your computer, you should restart your system in normal mode.
- Sometimes, installing antivirus software clashes with the running Windows 10 OS. In such cases, if you try to start your system, “Windows 10 stuck on spinning dots” problem occurs. Thus, you should uninstall that incompatible antivirus software in Safe Mode. Now restart your system to check whether it is working properly or not.
Fix the hardware problem if your computer freezes on startup
In some cases, a program crashes and causes a consistent or occasional freeze. Sometimes a hardware issue is the cause of Windows freezing problem. For instance, if the internal SD card reader is faulty, it may cause the Windows freezing problem. It is possible to fix this issue by disconnecting the faulty device. It is also important to check the Hard Disk Drive and its connections. If it is difficult to check it on your personal computer, you should try to check it on any other computer which is in good condition and works properly. It is very important to check your hardware and fix the hardware malfunctioning issue.
Disable fast Startup
- Open the Control panel by pressing Windows key + R key at a time to open the RUN program. Type control panel and hit enter to open it.
- From Control Panel select Hardware and Sound Option.
- Then click on Power Options.
- Choose Change what the power buttons do from the left pane.
- Now click on change settings that are currently unavailable.
- Uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended) from shutdown settings and save changes.
Disconnect USB devices
Some users say that the devices they connect to their computer through a USB cause Windows 10 crashing on startup. Thus, you should try to unplug USB-connected mouse, flash drive, wireless mouse dongle, USB dongle and any other USB-connected device that may cause this issue. Reboot your Windows 10 and check whether this solution solved the problem or not. Using this method, many people get positive results. If it doesn’t work for you, you should try the next method.
Disk Surface Test
If your hard drive has bad sectors, there is a higher chance of computer freezes on startup issue. So, it is essential to perform a disk surface test. Check your system RAM. If bad memory in the computer or bad memory slot on the motherboard causes Windows to freeze, you can fix it by doing the following steps.
- Try to change/reinstall computer and then restart your system in Safe Mode.
- Press Shift / F8 on startup.
- Run MSCONFIG or Press Win + R, and then click OK.
Perform Clean Boot
- Open the Run Program and type to search ‘msconfig’. Click OK to open it.
- Uncheck the Load startup items under selective startup.
- Go under the Services tab and check the entire box ‘Hide all Microsoft services’. Now click Disable all to remove the other services which are causing conflict.
- Further, select the Startup tab and click on ‘Open task Manager’. Disable all the startup items from the Task Manager.
- Click ok and restart the computer check whether the problem is resolved. If not try another method to fix the computer freezes on startup problem.
Update Graphic Card Drives
Sometimes, your outdated or corrupted device drivers cause this issue. All your devices should have a suitable driver. You should update those drivers that are not right for their respective devices. You can do it manually or use a software tool to automatically update your system drivers.
- Open the Run Program and search for ‘dxdiag’ and hit enter to open.
- In the toolbox lookout for your Graphic card in the Display Tab and from its website update it manually.
Run Windows Memory Diagnostics
- Search for Windows Memory Diagnostics in the Windows search box.
- Select the displayed option ‘Restart now and check for problems ‘.
- Windows will restart to check for possible RAM errors and will hopefully fix the Windows 10 crashing on startup error.
- Reboot the PC to save the changes.
- Open the Run Program and search for Registry Editor by typing ‘regedit’.
- Navigate to the following registry key
- Click on the AppXSvc and then select from right window pane ‘start’ subkey.
- In the Value Data field type 4 and then click OK.
- Restart the PC to save the changes and check whether the problem of a computer crashing on startup.
Perform System Restore
One of the main reasons for Windows 10 crashing on startup issue is because one or more crucial Windows files are either missing or damaged. If a system file is missing or something else is wrong with your Windows 10 system, system repair can fix the problem. To do this, you’ll have to use a Windows 10 installation CD or you’ll have to enter Safe Mode to start command prompt and type “bootrec.exe/fix.”
If system repair doesn’t solve the Windows 10 freezes on startup issue, you should perform system restore. It’ll restore your system to an earlier state. You should make sure that there is a complete system backup on your system. You should also turn on system protection. You’ll have to perform the following steps:
- Search ‘sysdm.cpl’ in Run program and then press OK.
- Select ‘System Protection tab’ from the System Properties index bar.
- Navigate to System Restore from the System Protection tab.
- Select the restore point of your choice and hit the ‘Next’ button.
- Follow the instruction to complete the Restore process and enter the Finish button.
- After reboot hopefully the issue of computer freezes on startup is resolved. If not keep trying the other method listed below.
Clear Temp files from the Computer
- Press Windows + R Key at a time to open the Run Program and type Temp to search temp files.
- Once in the Temp folder select all the files by pressing Ctrl + A and right-click to select the Delete option.
- Reboot the PC and you will find an improvement in the performance of your computer.
Uncheck Hardware Acceleration
- Open Google Chrome and open Settings from the right side of the screen.
- Now scroll down the list and at the end select an Advanced option from the settings menu.
- Advance Settings will take you to System Settings and make sure to disable the toggle or turn off the option ‘Use Hardware Acceleration when available’.
- Restart chrome and this should help you in fixing Windows 10 Freezes on Startup issue.
This tutorial is one of its kinds to fix such problems in the future feel free to write us back in our comment section or you can connect us on our social media portals at any time. Our expert’s team are eager to answer your ‘How to Fix’ type of questions by 24*7. We have previously posted many such tutorials on our website, please go through it and like, share, subscribe follow our page.