Alas! You got a WerFault.exe application error on your computer. Well, don’t worry at all. There are some effective solutions which will resolve such an issue. But, before heading towards the troubleshooting steps, let’s figure out what is WerFault.exe and why this error occurred.
What is WerFault.exe?
The WerFault .exe is an inbuilt file of Window Error Reporting System whose sole aim is to detect the error on the Windows and deliver the report to the Microsoft.
This feature enables Microsoft to fix the bugs in the Operating System so that the users can access the features of the OS in an efficient manner. In short, you can say WerFault.exe is a link between the Windows and the Microsoft and its sole responsibility is to report the errors of the OS to the Microsoft.
Why WerFault.exe error occurs?
Sometimes, some applications fail to run properly and due to this, WerFault.exe application error appears on the PC screen. Some probable causes for this error are listed as follows:
- Virus or Malware attack.
- Deletion of WerMgr.exe or WerFault.exe files.
- After updating the OS these files get replaced with some other files.
- Improper installation or un-installation of any application.
So, if you are facing the same issue, then don’t get annoyed. Here are some fruitful solutions which will resolve the issue. Now, get ready to troubleshoot the above-said issue and for the same, follow the procedure listed beneath.
How to fix ‘WerFault.exe application error’?
Now, you are aware of ‘What is WerFault.exe’ and its causes. So, it is time to fix it and for that few advanced methods is mentioned below and your job is to execute them carefully.
Run SFC scan
Damaged or corrupted system files create so many errors on your system. Once the system files got corrupted or damaged then your system will not perform properly. To repair the corrupted system files SFC scan is the best method. It is a free tool by which you can repair your corrupted Windows system files. To run SFC scan follow the below steps:
- Click the Start button and type cmd.
- Now type sfc/scannow and press Enter key.
- This will scan all the corrupted files and replace them with their cached version already stored in the Windows dllcache folder.
- Wait for the process to finish and restart the computer.
Disable Windows Error Reporting Services
As stated earlier, a WerFault.exe application error is caused due to some corrupt software and WerFault.exe is an inbuilt feature of Windows Error Reporting Services and disabling the same will resolve an issue.
- Open ‘Run’ dialog box and for that press ‘Window’ key and ‘R’ key together.
- Now, type ‘services.msc’ in the space provided in the box and then click on the ‘OK’ button.
- Thereafter, a new window will open and it will show the list of applications.
- Move to the ‘Windows Error Reporting Services’ section and select this feature. And right-click on the selected file and then select ‘Properties’ from the drop-down menu.
- Soon, you will get another pop-up, displaying salient features of Windows Error Reporting Services. Move to ‘Startup Type’ section and select ‘Disable’ from the drop-down menu. And then click on ‘Apply’ and further click on the ‘OK’ button.
That’s it; this will resolve an issue ‘WerFault.exe application error’. However, if the issue still persists, then go for another solution and this time, you will have to just update the Display driver. The process is simple and for your convenience, the detailed steps are listed below.
Use the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool
- Open search box and type Windows Memory Diagnostic tool and run this tool by clicking the search result icon.
- Click Restart now. This tool will run and fix and find Windows Memory related issues automatically.
Update Display Driver
- Click on the ‘Start’ menu and type ‘Device Manager’ in the search bar and then hit Enter.
- Thereafter, a new window will feature on your PC screen with several features of the Windows.
- Navigate for ‘Display Adapter’ and click on the arrow button to expand the drivers.
- After that, select the relevant driver and then right-click on the ‘Display Adapters’. And click on ‘Update driver’.
- Thereafter, a window will start its operation and within a short span of time, it will update the display driver.
- Make sure to restart your computer after the completion of the process.
Uninstall and Reinstall Display driver
- Press ‘Window’ key and type ‘Device Manager’ in the search bar and then hit Enter.
- Thereafter, Device Manager Window will open with several options and your task is to find out the ‘Display Adapters’.
- After selecting the relevant driver, right-click on it and then choose ‘Uninstall driver’.
- Now, wait for some time and allow Windows to accomplish the task.
- Restart the computer after the task is over.
- Once the computer starts, Windows itself will install the Display Driver.
Sometimes, this problem occurs due to the lack of Windows update. While updating Windows sometimes there may be chances that it may be stuck in between so make sure your Windows is updated properly and if lacks, then go through the steps listed here. If your Windows updated properly then it will resolve the issue ‘WerFault.exe application error’.
- Click on the ‘Start’ menu and select ‘Settings’ from the list of applications.
- After that, a new window will open which will show relevant features of the Windows.
- Now, move to the section ‘Update and Security’.
- At the top of the page of ‘Update and Security’, you will find the summary of the update, check the date and time.
- However, if you have not updated the Windows, then click on the option ‘Check for updates’.
- Now, sit and relax and give some time to Windows to update the pending applications.
- After the completion of the process, restart your computer.
That’s it, you are all done. However, if at any stage you got stuck or failed to accomplish the task, then don’t get panic, just contact us for the support. Wanna some more DeviceTricks? Stay tuned to this space for such tutorials and guides related to errors on Windows, Mac and Android. If you feel this article helpful please like, share and follow our Facebook page.