In this guide, I will try to explain the error “The requested operation requires elevation” and the steps to fix this error. This error is also known as error 740.
“The requested operation requires elevation” is a common error encountered on Windows 10. It may occur while using Windows update or other Windows software programs. This error is commonly reported by many users when they tried using an external drive or some utility or some kind of software program which required administrator access.
What is “The requested operation requires elevation” error 740 on Windows 10?
“The requested operation requires elevation” error 740 means that in order to open the file you will need elevated permission of a local administrator to gain access to the system. In a more clear sense, the advanced user access control (UAC) in Windows 10 will not allow the members of the administrator group to install or run the software in the silent mode, it is restricted to the default administrator.
To fix the problem you need to change the ownership of the file. If the error occurs while opening an application then you can configure its properties by launching it as an administrator.
(Error 740): The requested operation requires elevation.
How to fix “The requested operation requires elevation” error 740 on Windows 10?
In order to fix this problem try using some following methods to overcome the “The requested operation requires elevation” error. Let’s see the detailed step by step guide along with the images to fix the error “The requested operation requires elevation” on Windows 10
Disabling the UAC
UAC stands for the User Account Control settings. Sometimes the UAC might be responsible for this error. You can disable the User Account Control settings and verify whether it is creating the problem or not.
- Click on the start button and search for the control panel.
- In the Control panel at the right side of the window type UAC in the search box.
- Click on the User Account Control settings to move the slider to Never notify and press OK position to disable UAC.
- In the next screen type your Administrator login credentials to save your changes and restart the computer to check whether the “The requested operation requires elevation” error has gone or not.
For a built-in administrator, disable the admin approval mode
- Press Windows + R key to launch the Run program and type gpedit.msc in the dialogue box and hit OK.
- Once in the local group policy editor navigate to Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security settings > local policies > Security options.
- Click on the security option and you will see a list of item on the right side. Scroll down to the bottom and search for “User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built in Administrator”. Double-click on it to open its properties.
- Under local security Settings, set the option as Disabled. Press OK to save the changes and exit the item.
- Restart the computer for the changes made to take effect and check if the error has been solved.
Changing the Ownership of the files manually
- Open the downloaded file you want to access. Right-click on it to open the file’s properties.
- Now select the security tab to access the NTFS permissions and click on the Advanced Button.
- Once in the Advanced Security window, click on change.
- Click on the advanced button shown in the next window that comes forth.
- It will take you to select the user or group page. Click on Find now to search for an account to which you want to grant the ownership.
- Once the user has selected, press OK and save changes.
- Restart the system and check whether the error has gone or not.
Run the program as administrator
There are certain applications, which require administrator privilege to be opened. If you encounter this error message while opening an app, you can give a try to open this as an administrator. If you are already using an administrator account or a member of the administrator group then this method is not going to help you out.
- Right-Click on the exe.file and select properties.
- Switch to the compatibility tab and check on Run this program as an administrator. Press OK and apply the changes and try to run the application again.
“The requested operation requires elevation” error in windows 10 can be easily fixed by the above-mentioned steps. Wanna some more DeviceTricks? Stay tuned to this space to get updates. I’m grateful that my tutorials are helping you in fixing your error. If you find this article useful please like, share, and follow our Facebook page. You can visit this website where I’ve my tutorials which can help you to fix the errors.
Related Error: How to Fix Unable to Display Current Owner Error on Windows 10?