“The requested operation requires elevation” is a common error encountered on Windows 10. It may occur while using Windows update or other Windows software programs. This error is commonly reported by many users when they tried using an external drive or some utility or some kind of software program which required administrator access. In this article, Devicetricks will help you to understand the root cause of the error and will guide you with some troubleshooting steps to fix the “The requested operation requires elevation” error.
- 1 What is “The requested operation requires elevation” error on Windows 10?
- 2 Conclusion:
What is “The requested operation requires elevation” error on Windows 10?
“The requested operation requires elevation” error means that in order to open the file you will need an elevated permission of a local administrator to gain access to the system. In a more clear sense the advanced user access control (UAC) in Windows 10 will not allow the members of the administrator group to install or run the software in the silent mode, it is restricted to the default administrator.
Solutions to fix “The requested operation requires elevation” error on Windows 10
In order to fix this problem try using some following methods to overcome the “The requested operation requires elevation” error.
- Disable the UAC
- For built-in administrator disable the admin approval mode.
- Change the ownership of the files
- Run the programs as an administrator.
Lets see the detailed step by step guide along with the images to fix the error “The requested operation requires elevation” on Windows 10
1. Disabling the UAC
- Click on the start button and search for the control panel.
- In Control panel at the right side of the window type UAC in the search box.
- Click on the User Account Control settings to move the slider to Never notify and press OK position to disable UAC.
- In the next screen type your Administrator login credential to save your changes and restart the computer to check whether the “The requested operation requires elevation” error has gone or not.
2. For a built-in administrator, disable the admin approval mode
- Press Windows + R key to launch the Run program and type gpedit.msc in the dialogue box and hit OK.
- Once in the local group policy editor navigate to Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security settings > local policies > Security options.
- Click on the security option and you will see a list of item on the right side. Scroll down to the bottom and search for “User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built in Administrator”. Double-click on it to open its properties.
- Under local security Settings, set the option as Disabled. Press OK to save the changes and exit the item.
- Restart the computer for the changes made to take effect and check if the error has been solved.
3. Changing the Ownership of the files, manually.
- Open the downloaded file you want to access. Right-click on it to open the file’s properties.
- Now select the security tab to access the NTFS permissions and click on the Advanced Button.
- Once in the Advanced Security window, click on change.
- Click on the advanced button shown in the next window that comes forth.
- It will take you to select user or group page. Click on Find now to search for an account to which you want to grant the ownership to.
- Once the user has selected, press OK and save changes.
- Restart the system and check whether the error has gone or not.
4. Running the program as administrator
- Right-Click on the exe.file and select properties.
- Switch to compatibility tab and check on Run this program as an administrator. Press OK and apply the changes and try to run the application again.
“The requested operation requires elevation” error in windows 10 can be easily fixed by above-mentioned steps. Just stick to the tutorials to solve your problem. We are grateful that our tutorials are helping you in fixing your error. If you find this article useful please like, share, and follow the page. You can visit our website where we have our tutorials which can help you to fix the errors.