The error unable to display current owner on Windows 10 is caused due to lack of permission from admin to open the particular file or folder. To get access to open those files or folders, you need to get the owner’s rights.
In this article, we have shared all the possible solutions to resolve this issue. You can follow the steps given below and get access to the specific file or folder.
The most frequent causes of unable to display current owner error on Windows 10
- The file is protected by a Folder Lock software
- The Admin has blocked access for other users
- You don’t have full access to control all data on the system
- The file or folder which you are trying to open has been crashed, corrupted or infected by some virus
- You are not logged in with a user approved by the admin.
- The selected file or folder is encrypted by using a hacking software
The top 4 easy solutions to fix unable to display current owner error on Windows 10
# 1: Uninstall the Folder Lock software
- Press Win+R keys together and then type appwiz.cpl and hit enter to open Uninstall a program given inside Control Panel in your system.
- Now select the folder lock software, right-click on it and then choose to uninstall and follow the instruction to remove it from your system.
- Restart the PC and then open the file or data which you want to access. If it was enabled with any locking software, now you can access it easily.
# 2: Switch on your system in Safe Mode and then grant the access
- Open System Configuration by pressing Win+R key together and then type msconfig and hit enter.
- In System Configuration window, check the radio button given beside the Diagnostic startup and then click on apply.
- In the next window, you need to click on Restart to execute the next steps.
- Now try to access the file/ folder again. Now check for the error otherwise follow the next steps.
- Open cmd or command prompt by pressing Win+X+A
- In cmd window, type net user administrator /active:yes and press Enter key to see the hidden Admin accounts.
- Now press Win+L and then login with the newly created admin user.
At this time, you will be able to access the file which was showing an error message of Unable to display current owner on Windows 10.
- After completing your task within this user account, now open the cmd again and type net user administrator /active:no to make the settings as before.
# 3 Re-check the Folder Permissions Settings
- Right-click on the folder that is causing issue and then clicks on Properties, given at the bottom of the options menu.
- Now choose the user names and then you will see the allowed permissions for your user under Allow If any option is showing unchecked means, you are not permitted to access that file or folder.
# 4 Check your Anti-virus settings if it’s not allowing you to access the file
An antivirus is a smart software that protects the Operating System from the malware and spyware but sometimes it blocks the necessary files and treats it as a virus. So, in this case, it might be anti-virus is treating the admin files as a virus and hence blocking the same.
Henceforth, you must disable the Antivirus to access the ownership of files or folders and for that, you can move to the tray section listed at the bottom of the toolbar and then select the antivirus. Now, right-click on the antivirus and then select an option ‘Disable’. After doing this task, restart the computer.
These were some of the effective steps to resolve an issue ‘Unable to display current owner error on Windows 10. You need to follow the steps carefully and make sure to adhere to the above-mentioned process step by step.