Are you getting the error code 0x80070570? This error code occurs especially with a pops up a message on Windows due to a connectivity issue between the system and an external hard drive. The main cause of “the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable” error is drive sector gets corrupted or the faulty external hard drives such as pen drive & portable hard discs. This error code 0x80070570 may occur during the Windows installation also. Here in this article, I will walk you through the steps to fix the error code 0x80070570. Keep reading!
Overview of the File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable Error (Code 0x80070570)
This error code is related to the Windows versions 7/8/10. This error occurs during the Windows installation stating the below-mentioned error message
Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or unreadable. Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the installation. Error Code 0x80070570.
The corrupt storage system is the main reason behind this error due to which the installation process hampers in between the installation. The other suspects behind this error are listed as under:
Why “the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable” Error (Code 0x80070570) Occurs?
- The USB port is not working properly.
- Your hard disc is infected with some worms or viruses.
- Hard drive got physical damage due to any reasons.
- Your external drive was removed suddenly while its data was being accessed by the system
- Corrupted MFT (Master File Table)Partition
- Corrupted FAT (File Allocation Table) Partition
Symptoms of the Error Code 0x80070570
As we have already seen that the error code 0x80070570 occurs with an error message pop up on your screen during the Windows installation. The other major symptoms of this error reported by the various Windows users are listed as under:
- It seems taking more than usual time to access data stored on your hard drive is a major symptom of this error.
- If you are getting some unwanted errors or malware attempts.
- The information on your hard drive is corrupted or lost.
- An abnormal clicking sound while your system starts or accessing the hard drive.
- Windows become slower due to low disk space available.
How to avoid the issue of “the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable”(Code 0x80070570)?
- Install good anti-virus software in your system and always keep it updated
- Don’t keep any untrusted .exe file in your external storage device
- Don’t install any harmful software to your system
- Keep the external hard disk at a safe place to prevent it from physical damage
- Always remove your peripheral devices safely after completing the task.
- Take the data backup on a regular interval to keep it safe. You can keep a copy of your data on other hard disks, google drive or cloud storage.
How to Fix the Error Code 0x80070570?
There are multiple solutions available all around the web for solving an issue, “file directory is corrupted and unreadable”. Here, we are listing the top working solutions to fix your problem.
Move your files to a different Directory
As we all know that corrupt storage is the major reason behind this issue. So by moving the required files to a different directory, you can kill the issue. To do so follow these steps:
- Open This PC and Go to the location where the files are located which you are unable to access. And then right-click on the required folder or the file and Copy or Cut that specific file or folder.
- Now, go to the directory where you want to move this particular file or folder. And paste the file/folder there.
- Lastly, go to the new location where you have pasted the required files/folder to access and check for the error. If still, you are facing the error then you can continue with the next steps to fix the error code 0x80070570.
Use COMMAND PROMPT to Resolve the Issue
The free chkdsk (Check Disk) commands will fix the problem if it is causing due to directory errors, lost clusters, and cross-linked files.
- Open Run command directly by pressing Win+R button or by clicking on start and then search for “Run”. If you are using Windows 8 or later version of OS, you can press Win+X key to see the Run in the menu and then hit enter.
- Now, type “cmd” inside the box and press enter. A cmd window will be opened.
- Command prompt window will open.
- Now type “chkdsk H: /f” or “chkdsk /f H:” and then press the enter key. Here, the “H” is the drive name that needs to check. You can replace the letter as per the assigned alphabet to your external hard drive.
- Sometimes, it shows a message “Chkdsk cannot be executed because the volume is being used by some other process”. If you are also getting this message, you need to press Y and then restart your computer. It will complete the process automatically after restarting the system.
Check Hard Drive by Properties
If your ‘C’ Drive got corrupted then there are various solutions offered by the Windows to fix the corrupted drive on its own. One of the simplest and effective solution to fix this issue is listed as under step by step:
- Open Windows Explorer and go to My Computer. And then select and right-click your ‘C’ Drive. Go to the Properties.
- Under the Tools tab, there will be a feature for “Error Checking”. Just click on the “Check” button. If you are asked to enter the admin details, then you need to enter the administrator account details.
- Wait for some time as Windows would check the ‘C’ drive and will fix all kinds of minor errors.
Change the Drive Letter
The big problem can be solved by making a small change, isn’t it? The problem “Location is not available” or “the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable”, can be solved by changing the drive letter only. Follow the steps given below for changing the drive letter in windows operating system.
- Insert the external storage device to your system via USB port.
- Now right-click on Computer Icon which is given on the desktop. A pop-up with multiple options will be opened.
- Now click on “Manage”.It will open a new window.
- Navigate to Storage >> Disk Management.
- Now you need to right-click on the device which is occurring the problem and then click on “Change Drive Letter and Paths…”.
- A pop-up will be opened with a pre-assigned letter. Now, you need to click on “Change”.
- The newly opened pop up will give you the option to choose a letter from the drop-down menu. Select any new alphabet and press “OK”.
- Just after clicking on the OK button, a warning will be shown to confirm the changes. Click on Yes and move forward towards closing the panel. The drive letter will be changed.
Startup Repair of the Disk
If there is some issue with the ‘C’ Drive then you can take help of the Windows Startup Repair to fix the issue. It is the advanced startup feature that provides the options related to system recovery and repair. To fix the error code 0x80070570 with the help of startup repair just follow these easy to execute steps:
- Go to the Settings > Update & Security.
- Then click on the Recovery tab.
- Under the Advanced Startup option click on the Restart Now button.
- Once your system is restarted, you need to choose and go with the option Troubleshoot.
- Now go to the Advanced Options and click on the Startup Repair feature.
- The repairing process of the system will start and wait for some time to get the issue resolved.
Disable Antivirus Software
Most of the errors are temporary and can be resolved by just disabling the Windows Firewall or the local Antivirus Software installed on your system. So it is always recommended to disable your Windows Firewall or the Antivirus Software temporarily and restart your system. Once your system is restarted just check for the error code 0x80070570. Hopefully, the error should have been resolved.
Quick Format the Peripheral Drive
Sometimes, the corrupted directory problem gets solved by formatting the external storage device. But keep in mind; you will lose all data from that device after formatting it. If there aren’t any important files inside the drive, you can proceed with the steps given below for formatting the external hard drive.
- Open the windows explorer by pressing Win+E buttons together. You can also open the windows file explorer by double-clicking on the Computer icon given on desktop.
- Right-click on the drive which is unable to open or giving the problem of “the file directory is corrupted and unreadable”.
- Click on “Format” and then a new window will be popped up.
- Check the “Quick Format” button and then click on “Start”.
- Stay back. The process may take time depends on how much data you had in the external hard drive. After a few minutes, the problem will be resolved and then you can use an external storage device as a new one.
Repair or Format your Operating System
Sometimes, your OS get affected with virus and lost some important files. As a result, it won’t work properly and unfortunately gives some errors.
In this case, we would recommend you to take the backup of your drives and then repair your windows file or re-install the operating system from scratch. Now again connect your external drive to the computer and check, it will work normally.
Follow the above steps carefully to fix the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable because one wrong click may lead you to face other problems. If possible, I would recommend you to take the backup of the external drive before following any of the steps given above. It will help you from losing any data.
In case you lost your important data during the process, you need not worry. You can recover your lost data by using the solutions mentioned here. Apart from this, there are many paid data recovery tools available in the market which will help you to recover your lost data on a few clicks.
Wanna some more DeviceTricks? Stay tuned to this space to get the latest updates on errors related to Windows, Mac and Android. If you feel this article helpful then please like, share and follow us on our Facebook page.