‘The Device is not ready’, Well, if you found this error after inserting the USB flash drive/hard drive on the PC display, it means the Operating System fails to access the hard drive. Most of the users think that the issue arises due to the failure of the USB flash drive or hard drive. But, the hard drive is not solely responsible for this issue. The other factors which are responsible for this issue are listed below.
What are the major causes behind an issue ‘The device is not ready’?
- The device is not connected/partially connected with the computer. In short, you can say lose connection.
- The USB port of the computer is damaged.
- The device is not fulfilling the minimum requirement of the computer. In other words, it is incompatible with the computer.
- The device is corrupted.
- Sometimes, the failure of the system files also become the major reason behind an issue ‘Disk has encountered an error the device is not ready’. There are multiple factors which fails the system files such as the improper installation of the drive, virus attack and much more.
These were the prime reasons for an issue ‘The Device is not ready’. Now, it’s time to fix it, but before moving ahead, let’s go for the basic solution. First and foremost, you will have to check whether USB port of the computer is working or not and for the same, insert another hard drive in the port if it is working then USB port of a computer is in good condition. However, if you have an additional computer, then insert the drive which is having the problem and check the issue. If the issue still persists on another computer, then replace the hard drive as it is corrupted.
‘Disk has encountered an error the device is not ready’: Solutions
Amid the basic troubleshooting steps, if you found the hard drive is working smoothly on another computer and not working on the primary one, then you will have to go with the advanced solution and the same is listed beneath.
Uninstall the USB flash drive/hard drive
- To perform this task, you will have to access the ‘Device Manager’. If you are a Windows 10 user, then right-click on the ‘Start’ menu, select ‘Device Manager’ from the list of featured options.
- However, if you are not a Windows 10 user, then click on the ‘Start’ menu and type ‘Device Manager’ in the search bar and after that hit ‘Enter’ button.
- Thereafter, a Device Manager window will appear on the display, move to ‘Disk drives’ section and click on the arrow button to expand the drives.
- Now, select the USB flash drive/hard drive from the list and then right-click on it. Soon, you will get a few options and from that, select ‘Uninstall device’.
- After completing the task, eject the drive and restart your computer.
Fix from the Disk Management
If the issue still persists after performing the above task, then this method will help you to resolve the issue.
In the beginning, every device is initiated so that they can perform smoothly in the OS. However, if it is not, then a pop-up of ‘Virtual Disk Manager device is not ready’ will appear on the display. So, to resolve such issue, you will have to initialize the drive and for your convenience, the steps are mentioned below.
- Open ‘Run’ box and for that press ‘Windows key and ‘R’ key together.
- Type ‘diskmgmt.msc’ in the box and click on the ‘OK’ button.
- Thereafter, you will find ‘Disk Management’ page, select the drive from the list and at the bottom, you will get the summarized details of the drive.
- Now, right-click on the selected disk as shown in the image below and then select ‘initialize’ from the drop-down menu.
- That’s it, now follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
The above-mentioned solution will resolve the ‘Virtual Disk Manager device is not ready’ issue. However, if you have not allocated the memory, then choose the device, right-click on it and then select ‘New Simple Volume’. Thereafter, follow the instructions to fix a problem.
Repair hard drive through Windows inbuilt utility
Windows offers multiple inbuilt tools to repair the hard drive and one of such is the ‘check disk’. This tool will repair the hard drive smoothly and will allow you to access the same hard drive effectively.
- You will have to perform this task as an admin on the command prompt. So, click on the ‘Start’ menu and type ‘cmd’.
- Now, select the featured icon, right-click on it and then choose an option ‘Run as administrator’.
- Thereafter, a command window will appear and here you will have to type ‘chkdsk h: /r’. Make sure to remove the inverted comma and in place of “h” type the disk name in which you are having the issue.
- Now, allow the Windows to complete the task and as soon as it finishes, it will show the result with a list of repairing files.
You are all done, as these were the utmost solutions to resolve an issue ‘the device is not ready’. However, if you found any difficulty amid the steps or failed to complete the task, then contact us. We will remotely access your computer and will resolve the issue in a quick span of time. Being one of the giant tech support firms, we believe to offer comprehensive support to the users by resolving the issue so that the users can access the Operating System in an effective manner. Our techies work around the clock, so you can call us anytime to take support.