‘Sticky notes’ has been an important tool since it was introduced with Windows 7. While similar in appearance and functionality, the app has improved a lot with time. The current version of Sticky Notes is a complicated application that could be used to sync the notes across platforms including iOS and Android. In some of the cases, your Sticky Notes losing their stickiness or probably falling down or disappear.
However, the ‘Sticky Notes’ introduced for Windows 7 was a basic application which hardly reported any error. However, the current version of Sticky Notes depends on many other applications and the Graphics Driver. Thus, it is common for it to face issues. In this tutorial, I will let you know how to fix the Sticky notes losing their stickiness error. Keep reading!
What does “Sticky Notes losing their stickiness” mean?
The sticky notes on Windows 10 are very different from the sticky notes on your refrigerator. They are usually very sticky and you won’t lose them upon restarting your system and even refreshing it.
Some users have reported issues where the sticky notes either fall or disappear. It could happen upon opening an application or restarting the system. You could also lose sticky notes randomly. The problem could be with a few sticky notes or all of them.
While the issue has been reported to Microsoft by many users, it still isn’t fixed.
Why do Sticky Notes fall or Disappear in Windows?
The main causes behind the issue could be:
- Problems with the Sticky Notes application: While the Sticky Notes application is a trusted one, unlike with Windows 7, it is mostly managed as a Microsoft Store app. Also, it is more complex for Windows 10.
- Virus or malware: A few virus or malware can cause changes to the system causing the issue in discussion.
- An issue with graphic drivers: While the Sticky Notes are not managed by any specific drivers, the graphic drivers are crucial to such applications.
- The Insights feature might be interfering.
Fix Sticky Notes falling down or Disappear Issue
If you encounter this issue, proceed with the following troubleshooting steps sequentially:
Search for the files associated with Sticky Notes
Missing files can cause problems with applications. Even though the application could be present in the system, you might not be able to use it properly. In such a case, you can check for crucial files associated with the application. In the case of Sticky Notes, the file plum.sqlite is the one which holds the database.
- Press Win and R keys together to open the Run window.
- Copy-paste the following command in the Run window and hit Enter key to open the associated folder. You can also navigate manually to the file location.
NOTE: Replace %UserProfile% section with your user name.
- In the folder that opens up, check for the plum.sqlite file.
- If it is present, proceed to further solutions. If not, you could have to delete the Sticky Notes application and uninstall it.
Run the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter
The Windows Store Apps troubleshooter checks for issues with Windows Store Apps and resolves the problems they find. The procedure to run the Windows Apps Troubleshooter is as follows:
- Click on the Start button and then click on the gear symbol to open the Settings menu.
- Go to Updates & Security and then go to the Troubleshoot tab.
- Select the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.
- Accept the options to run the troubleshooter and restart the system once the troubleshooter has done its job.
Reset Sticky Notes
The newer version of Sticky Notes which is installed through the Microsoft Store has a lot of functionalities compared to the basic version. Certain settings allow you to modify the structure and functionalities. However, playing with these settings could lead to problems like sticky notes losing their stickiness.
In such a case, you can reset the Sticky Notes application as follows:
- Close all instances of Sticky Notes.
- Click on the Start button and select the gear-like symbol to open the Settings page.
- Click on the Apps section from the list.
- Then select the Apps and features tab.
- Scroll through the list to the Sticky Notes app and click on the option to expand the menu and then select Advanced options.
- In the next window, scroll to the Reset section and click on the reset option for the app.
- Restart the system and check if it resolves your problem.
Re-install the Sticky Notes app
If the above procedures fail, you could consider re-installing the Sticky Notes app. As explained in Solution 5, reach the Apps and features page and expand the option. Select Uninstall option to uninstall the app.
Now, reinstall the Sticky Notes app from the Microsoft Store here.
Update the Graphics Card drivers
Problems with the Graphic Card drivers are known to cause problems with the Sticky Notes and related applications. Rather, many users have reported that updating the Graphics Card drivers has significantly helped in improving the stability of Sticky Notes.
The procedure to update the Graphics Card drivers is as follows:
- Press the Windows key and R together to open the Run window and then type devmgmt.msc in the Run box and hit Enter key or click on the OK button to open the Device Manager.
- In the opened window, expand the list for Display Adapters by clicking on+ symbol which is given beside it.
- Right-click on your active Graphics Card driver set and select Update driver.
- Select the option to update the driver automatically.
- Finally, restart the system once the driver has been updated.
Hopefully, the suggested solutions will be helpful. However, if you need any other assistance, feel free to contact our techies. Wanna some more DeviceTricks? Stay tuned to this space to get latest updates on the errors related to Windows, macOS and Android.
If you feel this article helpful please like, share and follow our Facebook page and keep visiting our website for such tutorials.
Leave a Reply