While playing your favorite videos on YouTube you might come across that the video is lagging and not playing smoothly. So, if you are looking for the solution ‘How to fix stuttering’ on YouTube, don’t get worried as here you will get the illustrative solutions. There are fruitful ways you must try to resolve the YouTube video stuttering or lagging issue which is described below. Before going to the solutions lets have a look at What is YouTube Stuttering/Chopping?
What is YouTube Stuttering/Lagging?
YouTube is one of the biggest online entertaining platforms which enable users to access movies, videos, songs and significantly more. But, have you ever wondered that while playing the YouTube videos, it plays and pauses frequently, if Yes then you have encountered YouTube stuttering/lagging error and immediate resolutions are required to get an amazing experience of YouTube.
Why YouTube Video Stuttering or Buffering?
There can be various reasons behind this error. However, I have mentioned some of the most common factors here:
- Outdated Graphics Card Driver
- Outdated Video Player
- Windows are not updated
- Incorrect system configuration
- Virus or Malware infection
All the probable reasons behind this issue are known to us. Let’s proceed to the solutions to fix the issue.
How to Fix Stuttering/Buffering on YouTube?
If you are accessing the chrome browser and need to resolve the YouTube stuttering chrome issue then you will have to clear the caches and disable the hardware acceleration in Chrome. The steps for each solution are listed beneath, just follow them and apply it properly.
Check your Network Connection
Sometimes a poor network can cause YouTube Buffering on your computer. To fix this issue just check your network connection. To do so follow these easy steps:
- Close all the windows because it can slow down your network speed.
- Close all other browsers and web tabs as it can affect your network speed also.
Clear Cache in Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome.
- Click on the ‘More’ icon symbolized with three vertical dots at the top right end of the page.
- Thereafter a drop-down menu will appear and you need to click on ‘More tools’. And then select ‘Clear browsing data’ from the appeared list. You can also press Ctrl+Shift+Del keys together to open the ‘clear browsing data’ window.
- Soon, you will find a new window featuring clear browsing data, move to the ‘Advanced’ tab located at the top of the page.
- Move to ‘Time range’ and select ‘All-time’ from the drop-down menu.
- Make sure to tick mark all the checkboxes and after completing the steps, click on ‘Clear data’.
- That’s it; your task is done. Still, if you want to know more about what is Cached Data and the steps to Clear Cached Data? We have a detailed guide on this.
Update Google Chrome
Google frequently updates its applications and if you are accessing the old version of Google Chrome then you will fail to access the complete features of Chrome and this may lead to an issue such as ‘YouTube video stuttering/lagging’. So it is always recommended to access the current version of Chrome. Most of the time, the browser does the process itself, but sometimes you need to perform the task.
- Open Google Chrome and click on the triple dot icon given at the right top of the window.
- Hover over your cursor on the ‘Help’ menu and then go with the ‘About Google Chrome’ option given inside.
- Thereafter, a new tab will open and the chrome will check for the updates and after getting the latest one, it will automatically update it.
Install Adobe Flash Player
Adobe Flash Payer is a software that enables the users to access the online media and if it is outdated or unavailable, then the issue YouTube stuttering/buffering occurs and to fix the same, you will have to install the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
- Open your browser and go to the official website of Adobe Flash Player by clicking on the link https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
- In the download page, you will get the ‘Install Now’ button, click on it.
- After finishing the downloading process, click on the download file to install Adobe Flash Player. Now, play the video on YouTube to check the error.
- If the issue persists, then go for the next solutions.
Change Your Wallpaper Settings
Might be you have enabled slideshow for your desktop background and selected a short interval for it, there are chances to encounter this error. You can either adjust the settings or disable the option entirely. To do so follow these steps:
- Go to the Start menu. and type Wallpaper in the search box and select “choose the background, slideshow, or solid color as your background mode” from the results.
- Now click on Background and select Picture or Solid color. Set a longer time interval (30 minutes or 1 hour is preferred).
Update Video Driver
YouTube video stuttering or buffering could be caused due to outdated video card and to resolve the issue, you need to update the driver. The process is simple and the steps are listed beneath.
- If you are using Windows 10, then move to the ‘Start’ menu, right-click on it and then choose ‘Device Manager’ from the featured list. You can also open the list by pressing Win+X keys together.
- However, if you are using Windows 7 then click on the ‘Start’ menu, type ‘Device Manager’ in the search bar and then hit the ‘Enter’ key.
- Thereafter, a Device Manager page will appear, move to the Display Adapter section and then double click on it to get the list of drivers.
- Now, select the one, right-click on it and then choose ‘Update driver software’. Repeat the process for all listed items given there.
Scan for Hardware Changes
If there is any change in the hardware then also this issue can occur. But you can scan for any hardware changes by following these steps:
- Press the Windows+X to open the WinX menu and navigate to Device Manager in the list and click on it.
- A new window will open. Navigate to the Menu section and select the Action tab and then click on the “Scan for hardware changes” option.
- It will take time to complete the scanning. Once the process is completed, close all the windows and check for the error.
Disable Hardware Acceleration in Chrome
- Open Google Chrome.
- Click on the ‘More’ icon located at the top of the page. Now select ‘Settings’ from the drop-down menu.
- Thereafter, the settings page will appear and you need to scroll it to reach the ‘Advanced settings.
- In the ‘Advanced setting’ page, you will get multiple sections. Just scroll down and find out the ‘System’ section and then turn the radio button in off mode for Use hardware acceleration when available.
Restore Power Management Settings to Default
Your preferred power plan directly affects your system performance. If you have amended the settings recently then it may cause this issue. To edit the settings to its default follow these steps:
- Right-click on the battery icon on your taskbar and select Power options from the context menu.
- Next, click on the Change Plan Settings link.
- At the bottom of the page there will be a link, now click on the link Restore default settings for this plan.
- Click OK to confirm.
- Finally, Restart your computer and check for the error.
Temporary Disable Antivirus
Some users reported that the issue had been fixed by disabling the antivirus. So it is requested to give a try to disable the antivirus temporarily and check for the error. Though it is not recommended to disable the antivirus while you are connected to the internet. However, it is just for the testing purpose. If this helps you in fixing the error then you can switch to some other brand for antivirus.
Hence, these were comprehensive solutions against the YouTube video stuttering or buffering issue. On the off chance, if you need any assistance then describes your issue in the comment box and our techies will assist you in a quick span of time with an effective solution.