Fellows, are you unable to fix the Widevine content decryption module missing error? Don’t worry Devicetricks has come up with easy solutions, by applying these step by step you will easily resolve the issue.
What is Widevine Content Decryption Module?
Technically speaking WidevineCdm is a built-in decryption plug-in in Google Chrome which allows assessing DRM protected HTML5 videos and audios. It is a built-in module and comes with chrome and can not be installed by the third party. If accidentally, the module gets corrupted or uninstalled one can not stream the videos from popular websites such as Netflix and Amazon Prime.
When this error occurs?
Widevine content decryption module missing or not updated issue is a common type of error on Windows. This type of error usually comes while watching Netflix or Amazon prime on Google Chrome. In simple terms popping up of this error means widevineCdm is not updated or is missing from the browser.
How to fix the Widevine Content Decryption Module missing issue?
If by some reasons WidevineCdm is missing you can try some of these methods.
- Try uninstalling the Google Chrome you have
- Restart the Computer
- Install Google chrome for the Google website
- In the newly installed Google Chrome try searching for chrome://components/ and check the latest update for widevineCdm.
How to fix the Widevine Content Decryption Module update issue?
- Updating theWidevine Content Decryption Module.
- Changing the permission of Widevine Content Decryption Module.
- Deleting the Widevine Content Decryption Module folder.
- Re-installing Google chrome.
- Checking the antivirus software.
Method 1: Updating the Widevine Content Decryption Module
Note: Before trying out this method ensure that Google chrome should have admin rights
- Open Google Chrome and open the chrome://components/ link in the address bar.
- In next step scroll down to the bottom and search for Widevine Content Decryption Module.
- Eventually, check for the updated version by clicking on the “Check for update” button.
- After updating, a status will come as “up to date” under the status bar of the above module. Reboot your PC to save the changes and look out for the Wideveine Content Decryption Module missing error.
Method 2: Changing the permission
- Open the Run program by pressing Windows + R key altogether and type “%userprofile%/appdata/local/Google/Chrome/User Data“. Hit the Enter button.
- Once the user data folder is opened in the window locate for Widevine Content Decryption Module folder.
- Right-click on the folder and select Properties from the drop-down index.
- In WidevineCdm properties window, switch to “security tab” and under “Group or user name” select your user account. Also, under “Permission” for your user account check the full control and hit “OK” and “Apply” button to save the changes.
- If the Full control box is unchecked click on the Edit button, uncheck the deny box and checkmark the Full control box.
- After saving the changes restart the chrome, go to chrome://components/ and check for an update of Widevine Content Decryption Module.
Method 3: Deleting the WidevineCdm folder
Note: First and foremost close the Google Chrome.
- Navigate to WidevineCdm folder as you did in the above steps.
- Once again select the folder Widevinecdm, press Shift+Del to permanently delete the folder.
- Now the Widevinecdm folder is permanently deleted. By using the first method mentioned in the tutorial update the WidevineCdm.
Method 4: Re-installing Google chrome
- Open the Run Program and type the following “%LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\” in the search bar and hit enter to run the program.
- Once the user data window is open right-click on the “Default” folder and select “Rename” or “Delete” option if your OK to lose all your preferences in Chrome.
- Re-name the folder to “default.old” and hit enter.
- Now go to Contol Panel and click “Uninstall a program” and search “Google Chrome” from the list.
- Right-click on Google Chrome and uninstall Chrome and make sure to delete all its data.
- Reboot the PC to save the changes and again reinstall the Chrome.
Method 5. Checking the antivirus software
- Many a time your antivirus program can cause this error. To encounter this error we advise you to check your antivirus and disable it for some time till the error resolves.
- After this try to open Chrome and check if the error resolves or not.
- Now open the Control Panel and click on System and Security.
- In System and security window click on Windows Defender Firewall.
- In the left window pane, select the on and off option.
- Turn off the Windows Defender Firewall and restart the PC and try again to open the Google Chrome and see if you are able to fix the error.
- If still, you persist to have the same error follow the exact steps to turn on your firewall protection again.
In a Nutshell:
Devicetricks has successfully helped in fixing the Widevine Content Decryption Module missing or update error. In the future, if you still have some queries regarding this type of error. Feel free to write us back in our comment box or follow us on our Facebook page to stay tuned with our latest tutorials.