“The program can’t start because steam_api64.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem” is the error which appears when the Steam client is unable to find the required DLL file in your installation folder. The Steam_api64.dll is a necessary component of the Steam program. Various Steam features and functions are accessed by some Steam games with the help of this component only.
The missing Steam_api64.dll file is an indication that you do not have DirectX installed on your computer. So, if you are also on the same list, then you will find this system error message on your screen.
What is Steam_api64.dll File?
Steam is one of the finest apps that offer ample games to users. The game and the complete package provided by the Steam are marvellous. The control is smooth and it is the greatest platform to play the game and a good way to connect with the friends too. Apart from such great features, some users reported an issue in Steam, i.e. Steam_api64.dll missing error on the computer.
What does Steam_api64.dll missing error mean?
The error code steam_api.dll means you are running a lack of DirectX that supports the graphics and allows the games to run smoothly. That was all about the cause behind the issue and now it’s time to hunt down the solution.
‘The program can’t start because steam_api.dll is missing from your computer’. Try reinstalling the program to fix the problem.
The code execution cannot proceed because steam_api64.dll was not found.
Well, the problem is not so big and with some quick and easy solutions, you can get rid of an issue.
How to fix Steam_api64.dll missing error?
Well, if you found such an error message on your screen amid launching the game from the steam, then don’t get worried, the issue usually arises due to the missing DLL files which are quite important for an application to run smoothly. Here are some practical solutions to fix this error:
Verify Integrity of game files
Steam has the ability to restore the steam_api.dll missing files and if any files found corrupted, then it will replace them with a fresh one. So, if you are facing an issue on a particular game, then you need to verify the game and the process for the same is listed below.
- Launch Steam on your PC.
- At the Home page, you will find several tabs at the top of the page and you need to click on LIBRARY.
- Thereafter, you will find the list of games installed on your computer and here you need to select the one which is having a problem and then right-click on it to choose Properties.
- Soon, a new pop-up window will open and here you need to click on the LOCAL FILES tab that is located at the top of the window.
- The above step will direct you to the LOCAL FILES section where you will find few options and you just need to click on VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAMES FILES.
- That’s it; now the steam will start to perform and will verify all the files and if found any missing, then it will restore the same.
- After completing the above process, click on the Steam tab located at the upper left corner of the page.
- Now select Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Soon, a new page will open and at the left panel, you will get few options, click on Downloads.
- Now move to the content libraries section and then click on STEAM LIBRARY FOLDERS.
- Thereafter, you will find the steam content files and you need to select the one, right-click on it and then choose an option Repair Library Folder.
- After completing the above task, restart the Steam app.
As stated earlier, DirectX is an API that supports the graphics and enables the games to run efficiently. However, if you do not have such API then you need to download the same to resolve steam_api64.dll missing error. The process is simple and the comprehensive steps are listed below.
- Open your browser and go to the official website of DirectX or else you can click on the link to reach directly https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35
- Now, scroll down the page and select the Language from the drop-down menu.
- After selecting the language, click on the Download button.
- After the completion of the above process, launch the downloaded file and then follow the on-screen instructions to install DirectX.
Download DLL files
If the steam_api64.dll is still missing, then you need to download those files and have to replace the previous one with the new one in the correct folder. Now, follow the process to download the DLL files.
- Launch your browser and then visit the official website of DLL or else you can click on the link provided here to reach directly https://www.dll-files.com/steam_api64.dll.html
- On the home page, you will get the search bar and here you need to type steam_api64.dll and then press the Enter key.
- Thereafter, you will get the search result which will show the steam_api64.dll file and you need to select the version and then click on the Download button.
- After completing the above process, install the files by following the on-screen instructions. Make sure to install the file on System 32 folder followed by C drive and the path would be C:\Windows\System32.
- Now restart your computer.
Copy the file from another working computer
Sometimes the steam_api64.dll file on your computer may got corrupted and in this case, you can copy the desired file from another computer that is in working condition. Before proceeding towards the solution you need to check some facts such as:
- Both the computer should be running on the same operating system.
- The same game must be installed on both computers.
Steps to copy steam_api64.dll:
- On the other computer, press Windows+E to open File Explorer.
- Go to the folder where Steam is installed. It is installed in C:\Program Files\Steam by default.
- Now go to the search box and type steam_api64.dll.
- Copy the steam_api64.dll file and paste it to an external hard drive.
- Now come to your computer having error and on this computer, go to the same location where your Steam is installed and then paste the file.
- Launch your game and check for the error.
Uninstall and Reinstall the Game
- Launch Steam.
- Click on the LIBRARY tab located at the top of the page.
- Now, select the game which is having a problem and then right-click on it to choose an option Uninstall.
- Thereafter, you will be asked for the confirmation and here you need to click on the Uninstall button.
- After completing the above task, move to the STORE section that is located at the top of the page and then search for the game which you have uninstalled.
- After getting the game, click on the Play Game button.
- Now wait for a while to reach the installation page and after reaching just follow the on-screen instructions to install the game.
- Hope this time the game will run smoothly.
So, these were the possible solutions to fix steam_api64.dll is the missing error. let’s know in the comment box which method worked or you? Wanna some more DeviceTricks? Stay tuned to this space to get latest updates on errors related to Windows, macOS and Android.
If you feel this post helpful please like, share and follow our Facebook page.