Internet users are facing problems day by day. One problem that Windows 10 users reporting is The default gateway is not available error. This problem can restrict you from accessing the Internet, therefore, it’s essential to know the resolution of this error.
In this guide, today I will walk you through the steps to fix Default Gateway is Not Available error. Before going to the solutions let us see, what this Default gateway is not available means.
What is the Default Gateway?
When we try to access any website then the data from our computer to that destination host travel in the form of packets. In the computer networking system, the router or the network node behaves as a forwarding hop to the other networking system especially when no next-hop IP address is specified in the routing table for transferring these data packets to the destination host.
When one network communicates with the other network, it needs an access point to do so which is to be known as the default gateway.
In general, each component maintains its routing table for the establishment of connection on specified ports and ports for the communication and delivery of data packets. During this process, if any node is unable to find a suitable route to deliver these data packets then it will follow the default gateway for this purpose.
What is “The Default Gateway is Not Available” Error?
Internet problems can cause a lot of trouble especially in colleges and commercial offices. “Default gateway is not available” means the Internet connection is lost. The user will have minimal access to the Internet or no connection at all. You may notice a yellow exclamation mark on your network or Wi-Fi icon in the system tray and the Internet cannot be accessed on your computer. Even after the Network Troubleshooting, the error cannot be resolved. It can be caused by an antivirus interruption or an outdated network adapter settings.
Why “The Default Gateway is Not Available” Error occurs?
The possible reasons for this error are listed as under:
- Non-availability of Network Gateway.
- Corrupt or damaged network adaptor drivers.
- Conflict with McAfee security suite.
- Incorrect router configurations.
- Incorrect network settings.
- Virus or Malware infection.
How to fix “The Default Gateway is not Available” error?
The default gateway is not available error is a critical error but there is a solution to this problem of “Default Gateway is not available”. Here are a few methods that can be applied to fix the particular problem of “Default Gateway is not available” error in Windows 10.
Install a new Ethernet Driver
If you are facing this error on Windows 10, check that you have the latest Ethernet driver installed on your computer.
To install the new driver, just visit the official website of your motherboard manufacturer and search the latest Ethernet driver for your device. After downloading it, install the driver and check for the error.
Uninstall McAfee programs
- Users have repeatedly reported that McAfee antivirus leads to a particular problem. You can, therefore, fix this issue by uninstalling the McAfee programs from your PC.
- Go to Control Panel>Programs>Programs and Features and completely uninstall the McAfee antivirus software.
- Once these programs are uninstalled, you can replace it with other Antivirus software like Bitdefender or Quickheal.
Reset Wi-Fi or Ethernet Adaptor
To fix this error you need to reset wi-fi or ethernet adaptor. To do so follow these steps:
- Right-click on the network option and select Open network Internet settings.
- Now go to change your network settings. Choose change adapter settings. It will show your Ethernet connection adapter and Next you can choose it.
- Right-click on it and choose the disable option.
- Just wait for some time and then select the Enable option.
- Close the menu once it is enabled.
Modify network adapter’s power management settings
Changing the network adapter’s power management settings is also a method to fix the error “The default gateway is not available”.
- Press Windows+X keys. A power User menu will open and then select Device Manager from the list
- In the device manager, the list of different devices will open, select Network Adapters in it.
- Double click on network adapters and select your network in it. Right-click on your network and go to Properties.
- Once the Properties window opens, click on Power Management Tab and uncheck allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
- Click OK to save changes.
Update the network adapter’s driver
Installing the correct driver is also important to fix the particular error. Here are the steps which you have to follow to select the right network adapter’s driver.
- Press Windows+X keys. A power User menu will open and then select the device manager from the list.
- In the device manager, the list of different devices will open, select network adapters in it. Double click on network adapters and expand it.
- Right-click on the network adapter you are using and click update.
Change the network adapter’s driver
- Go to the Device Manager on your computer.
- Right-click on the caption and expand the Network Adaptor option. After expanding, it will display the version of the driver you are using. Select the update driver software option.
- Click Browse My Computer For Driver Software.
- Select let me pick from a list of Device Drivers on My Computer.
- Uncheck Show compatible hardware, scroll down and select Intel Corporation. Click a network adapter driver different from what you have now.
Keep changing the network adapter driver until and unless you find the correct one.
Uninstall the Network Adaptor Driver
- Go to the Device Manager on your computer.
- Right-click on the caption and expand the network adapter option. Further, click on uninstall.
- After successful uninstallation, restart the computer.
- When your system will boot up it will identify and uninstall the network adapter.
Manually Assign the IP and Default Gateway
- Press the Windows+X keys and select the command prompt.
- Type ipconfig and hit Enter.
- Here you will find a list on Wi-Fi. Just note down the default gateway, IP address, and subnet mask.
- Right-click on the wireless icon and select Open Network and Sharing Center.
- Select change adapter settings.
- Right-click on Wireless Adapter Connection and select Properties.
- Now select IPv4 and click Properties.
- Enable the option Use the following IP address and write the default gateway, IP address, and subnet mask, already noted down. Select Apply and then OK.
- Restart your computer and check for the error.
Change the Wireless Mode
One can fix the problems with a default gateway by setting the wireless mode. Here are steps on how you can do this.
- Press Windows+X keys. A Power User Menu will open and choose Network Connections from the menu.
- The whole network connection settings will open, identify your network adapter, Right Click it and Go to Properties.
- Click the Configure button.
- Go to the Advanced tab and select an alternate Wireless option from the Property list. And then click on the OK button to save the changes.
Modify the power saving mode of your wireless adapter
The default gateway is not available error on Windows 10 can also be fixed by modifying power options. Here is a list of steps to modify the power saving mode.
- Go to Control Panel and search for the Power Options.
- When Power Options window opens, click on Change Plan Settings.
- Click on Change Advanced Power Settings.
- Locate Wireless Adapter Settings and set it to maximum performance.
- Click APPLY and OK to save changes.
Use netshell Reset Command
- Press Windows+X keys to open Command Prompt.
- Type nets hint IP reset and press Enter.
- Close the command window and restart the computer and check for the error.
Modify the frequency of your Wi-Fi router
These days the new wireless routers function on 5 GHz frequency, but your current adapter might not work with this frequency so you may have to change it. You can change it to 2.4 GHz.
There have been a few cases where people have changed the frequency from 5 GHz to 2.4 GHz, and this has solved the default gateway problem. So you can follow this method to fix the particular error and refer to the manual of your router on how to change the frequency of wireless router.
By following these methods correctly, one can quickly fix the Default Gateway is not available error in Windows 10. Let us know in the comment section which method worked for you? Wanna some more DeviceTricks? Stay tuned to this space to get the latest updates on errors related to Windows, macOS, and Android.
If you find this article helpful please like, share, and follow our Facebook page.
Leave a Reply