The Age of Empires is an outstanding analysis game designed and developed by Microsoft Inc. The third segment (Age of Empires III) of the game is most challenging because you will have to bend your mind to prepare the perfect strategy to win the game. If you have installed the game and upon launch, if you find ‘Age of Empires 3 initialization failed’, then don’t disappoint, because there are some effective solutions which will allow you to access the game smoothly. But before moving to the further, let’s figure out the actual cause behind this issue.
What is the error “Age of Empires 3 Initialization Failed”?
The game Age of Empire III was developed by Ensemble Studios in 2005. Initially, it was made for Windows only. It can be played in multiplayer mode also. It is very similar to the latest game SimCity Buildit launched in 2018 but with the latest features. It is one of the best time-consuming games for the refreshment of mind.
Why the error ‘Age of Empires 3 initialization failed’ occurs?
Well, most of the users tried to hunt down for the actual cause behind the initialization failed Age of Empire III game, but they didn’t reach their desired path. But, here you will get the perfect reasons behind an issue and they are listed below.
- Lack of updated patch of the game.
- Improper configuration of the game.
- Compatibility issues.
- Lack of Windows update.
- Corrupt files of DirectX.
- Lack of Driver update.
- The conflict between the software.
These were the prime causes of the issue and if you desperately want to resolve it, then go through the below-mentioned solution.
Various Error messages for Age of Empires III
Age of Empires 3 initialization failed Direct3D: This error message indicates that the issue is with the Direct3D module.
Age of Empires 3 initialization failed Steam: Gamers encounters this error when they install this game through the client Steam and fails to initialize properly.
Age of Empires 3 won’t start: This error occurs when the game is unable to start when you tried to launch it on Windows 10 or 7.
How to fix the error “Age of Empires 3 failed to initialize”?
Based on the users’ input and personal experience, I have listed some practical solutions to fix this issue. Try the methods one by one down the list to fix the error Age of Empire III initialization failed. Keep reading!
Update Graphics Driver
The outdated graphics drivers are the main reasons behind such issues. To fix the issue you need to check the graphics version and update it to the latest version if not updated.
Enable Legacy Components
Generally, games need a particular framework to run smoothly in the Operating System and thus Windows offered an inbuilt API, i.e. DirectPlay. This tool enables the game to drift in the OS without any interruption, but by default, the DirectPlay is in disable mode. So, you come to know, what exactly you need to do. Yes, you are right, just enable this feature and the process for the same is pretty simple.
- First and foremost, move to the ‘Control Panel’ and for that click on the ‘Start’ menu and type ‘Control Panel’ in the search bar and hit Enter.
- A new window will appear on your screen which will present the salient features of the Control Panel, now click on ‘view by’ located at the top of the page and select ‘Large icon’ option.
- Thereafter, you will get the expanded features of the Control Panel and from that, select ‘Programs and Features’.
- At the left end of the ‘Programs and Features’ section, you will find an option ‘Turn Windows features ON or Off’, click on it.
- Soon, you will discover a new window featuring the inbuilt applications of the Windows, select the ‘Legacy Component’ and then click on the arrow button to expand its features.
- Now, click on the checkbox ‘DirectPlay’ to enable it.
However, if Initialization failed Age of Empires 3 still appears on your screen, download the latest version of the game. Most of the times the developers fix the bugs in the game and thus allow the gamers to access the game effectively. So, it is always recommended to use the latest version of the Age of Empire 3 and you can find the same from its official website.
DirectX is an API tool, which allows the game to run smoothly and most of the game needs such a platform to function effectively in the Operating System. Well, the Windows offers the DirectX in the package and you just need to ensure the present version of the same. If you are using the older version, then this might be the one reason behind the initialization failed Age of Empires 3. To resolve the same, you can download the new version. But before that, you must find out which version you are using and the process to detect the same is very simple and for your solace, it is listed below.
Check the current version of DirectX
- Open the ‘Run’ box and the procedure is quite simple, you just need to press the ‘Windows’ key and ‘R’ key together.
- Now, type ‘dxdiag’ in the box and hit the ‘Enter’ button.
- Thereafter, a DirectX window will feature on the screen with multiple features, click on the ‘System’ tab.
- At the end of the page, you will find ‘DirectX Version’ highlight the same, and note down the version listed on the page.
- Now, it’s time to ensure whether any updated version is available or not.
Download the latest version of DirectX
- Open your browser and visit the download page of Microsoft. However, you can reach directly by clicking on the link.
- In the download page, you will get an option to select the language, choose the one as per your convenience from the drop-down menu, and then click on the ‘Download’ button.
- Now, follow the on-screen instruction to install the latest version of DirectX.
Fix Age of Empires III Compatibility Issue
If none of the above methods worked for you then you can try to fix the AOE III compatibility issues. To do so follow these steps:
- Go to the directory C: \Program Files (x86)\STeam\Steam Apps\Common\Age of Empires.
- Right-click on age3y.exe file and choose properties.
- Navigate to the Compatibility tab and check the option for Run this program in the compatibility mode and then from the drop-down menu select the Windows version.
- Check the option of Run as Administrator.
- Click on the Apply and Ok button to save the changes.
Resolve Software Conflict
As stated earlier, software conflict also creates such an issue, so your job is to disable all the Startup programs so that you can get rid of an issue ‘Age of Empires 3 initialization failed’. The process is very simple and for your convenience, the steps are listed below.
- Click on the ‘Start’ menu and type ‘System Configuration’ in the search bar and after that hit the Enter button.
- Thereafter, you will find a system configuration window with relevant options, click on the ‘Services’ tab located at the top of the page.
- At the bottom of the page, you will get an option ‘Hide all Microsoft services’, click on the checkbox to select all and then click on the ‘Disable all’ button.
- After finishing the above task, click on the ‘OK’ button.
If you have the outdated version of the game then there are chances to face this error. To fix the issue you need to download and install the latest version of the Age of Empires III software. These updates (also known as patches) are developed to address many issues with the game. To download the game update, follow these steps:
- Go to the official website of Ensemble Studios Online.
- Start Age of Empires III and on the main game screen, click Help and Tools.
- Click Update Game.
- Restart the game and check for the error.
So, these were an effective solution against the initialization failed Age of Empires 3. Let us know in the comment section which method worked for you? Wanna some more DeviceTricks? Stay tuned to this space to get the latest updates on errors related to Windows, macOS, Android, and Games. However, if you still face any kind of problem amid the game or in the OS, then feel free to contact us. Being a top-notch tech support firm, we provide complete assistance to the users by offering a wide range of solutions against the issues and our techies work around the clock for the same. So, you can reach anytime for the utmost solution.
If you feel this article helpful, please like, share, and follow our Facebook page and keep visiting our website for such tutorials and guides.