Steam is a reliable video gaming digital platform that allows gamers to buy and play games easily. Since its release, it has improved massively, but that doesn’t mean the app is error-free. Many gamers faced issues while opening and playing games. Of course, it is a frustrating issue when Steam won’t open. So, if you also have come across the issue of the Steam client not opening, I am here to help. Keep reading.
The Steam client is available on various major operating systems and gives access to its library and features. But despite its popularity and reliability, many users confirmed various issues and errors related to Steam.
And speaking of Steam issues and errors one such problem is Steam won’t open. Well, this is really very irritating as while trying to open or launch the steam client, nothing happened or after opening steam closes itself after a while.
So, if you are also encountering the steam won’t launch or open then you are at the right place. Today in this article I am sharing with you the best possible fixes to resolve the Steam won’t open issue.
But first, learn why Steam isn’t opening or launching?
Why won’t Steam Open?
Well, there are many reasons responsible for the steam won’t start, here have a look at some of the possible ones:
- Due to the interference of the other programs.
- The un-ended Steam processes running in the background.
- Steam file corruption.
- Due to the busy Steam server.
So these are some of the common reasons responsible for the Steam won’t open problem, now follow the fixes given one by one.
How do I fix the Steam won’t Open Problem?
Restart your System
Very first it is recommended to restart your system, as some of the programs or processes on your OS might be blocking your Steam client from opening.
Or it might happen the computer cache is interfering with the Steam. So, as I always recommend, restart your system, this is a quick fix that helps you to get rid of the minor problems easily.
Now after restart your computer check if the steam won’t open the problem is resolved or not.
Close Entire Steam Tasks Running
As said above if the Steam won’t shut down completely or its processes are running in the background, then this can cause the Steam won’t open problem.
When you launch Steam later, the operating system thinks the processes have already been running and decline to open Steam client.
So, here to open the Steam client, you need to end all tasks in the Task Manager before starting the Steam. Follow the steps to do so:
- On the taskbar click on any space > click Task Manager or Start Task Manager.
- Now search for the entire Steam tasks running and right-click on a task > click End task or End processes.
- After closing all the running Steam tasks > launch your Steam client again.
Check if the Steam won’t start error is fixed, but if not then follow the next solution.
Restart the Network Devices
Well, if you are facing the bad network status, then due to this also you are unable to open Steam. Sometimes, the network device such as Modem and router might get corrupted and these problems can stop a Steam client from opening and running.
Here it is suggested to restart the network devices to reset them and place them in a normal state. So try restarting the network devices. Follow the steps to do so:
- First, shut down your computer followed by your modem and router.
- Unplug the power cables from the Modem and router.
- And wait for some time (30-60 seconds) and after that plug in the power cables back.
- Next, start your modem and router and wait till they are entirely on.
- And start your computer and verify if your Steam won’t load or open the issue is fixed or not.
Update the system drivers and Windows operating system
Well if the system drivers or your Windows system is outdated then this may also cause Steam client problems.
So, check for the outdated system drivers as well as the latest Windows update if available then try updating them to fix Steam doesn’t open problem. Follow the steps to update your operating system:
- Click on the Windows Start button > type update.
- Then in the results list, click on Check for updates or Windows Update.
- You can see Windows will start checking for the system updates.
- Now download and install the updates and check if the steam won’t open the problem is resolved or not.
If not then you need to update the device drivers. Follow the steps to update the outdated drivers:
- Click on Start and type Device Manager in search option and open it from the list appeared.
- Then choose a category to see names of devices > then right-click on the one you like to update and click to Update Driver.
- And then select Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Check if Windows locate a new driver update or not. If not then try to search for the one on the device manufacturer’s website and search for the latest driver update.
Hope now the Steam won’t open on Windows 10 problem is fixed.
Disable the 3rd party antivirus software temporarily
If still, the Steam won’t start then the third-party antivirus program installed on your computer might be causing interference and stopping the Steam client from opening.
So, here it is suggested to temporarily disable the antivirus program installed on your system. Many antivirus programs come with the disable option but if in case you won’t see the disable option then contact the antivirus support center and ask for the instruction to disable it.
Also if disabling the antivirus program works for you then ask for the antivirus vendor for help or simply switch to other antivirus solutions.
If none of the above-given solutions works for you then the problem might be with the Steam client. So here it is suggested to repair Steam using the inbuilt Repair feature.
But before using this make sure to back up your saved game files. And to do so, make sure to open the folder where the steam has been installed.
- First, open File Explorer and choose “This PC” and then click on “Windows C:”
- Type “steamapps” in the search bar.
- Right-click on the steamapps folder > Copy it to Documents file.
- Again right-click on the steamapps folder > select Open file location.
- Next visit the Steam website> download the Steam installer.
- And run the installer as it finishes downloading. This will give you the option to repair the files while running > select the option and follow the onscreen instructions.
And as the repair process is complete, try opening Steam. Moreover, if you are able to open Steam but unable to access the saved game data then go to My Documents > copy the steamapps folder and there replace the file of the same name.
Refresh the Steam Application
If after repairing still Steam won’t open, then try to refresh the Steam application installation. This also worked for many users to fix the Steam client issues. Follow the steps to run the command to refresh Steam:
- Press Windows + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Type or copy the command steam://flushconfig and hit Enter.
- This dialog will appear from Steam.
- Press OK.
Hope now the Steam still won’t launch issue is resolved. If not then the only option left is to reinstall the Steam application.
If none of the above-given fixes works for you then here it is suggested to reinstall the steam application.
But first, back up the saved game files before performing the below-given steps. Follow the steps to do so:
- First exit Steam completely.
- And click the Start menu > Control Panel> Then click Uninstall a Program.
- Now on the list locate Steam and click on it > then click Uninstall/Change > and make sure to Uninstall Steam.
- And as the uninstall process is finished > restart your system.
- Now try to install Steam from the Steam website> download the Steam installer to reinstall Steam.
- Then on your computer > open the installer > and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Now, to access the saved game data after reinstalling Steam > in the My Document > copy the steamapps folder back into the Steam folder and replace the same name folder as the Steam is fully installed.
It is estimated now the Steam doesn’t open the problem is fixed.
Moreover, if you are using Steam on Mac and facing the Steam won’t launch problem then follow the steps given below:
How to Fix Steam won’t open on Mac?
- Press Command + Space > for opening Spotlight > type System Preferences > select Security & Privacy.
- And from the left panel > click on Accessibility > locate Steam from the list.
- Then click on the bottom left padlock > type your password to make changes.
- Check Steam is enabled > also has the blue boxes ticked.
- But if the Steam client is not in the list > then press the + button to add it.
- Lastly, close the window > open Steam.
It is estimated now the Steam won’t load on Mac is resolved.
So, this all about the Steam won’t open issue. I tried my best to list down the complete possible fixes to get rid of the difficulties that stop you from opening Steam.
Make sure to follow the fixes given one by one carefully.
Hopefully, now you are able to launch Steam on your devices without any problem and play games. But if in case you are still facing the problem then contact the Steam support center and share your problem.
Moreover, if there is anything that I missed out on or you are having any solutions that work for you then feel free to share with us in the comment section below.