We all know that SFC is a very important tool to scan the system files and to fix the issue. Sometimes the SFC scan fails to work and throws an error “Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation” or “Windows resource protection could not start the repair service”. It is also known as the “SFC Scannow not Working” error. In this guide, I will walk you through the steps to fix the SFC Scannow not working error in Windows. Keep reading!
What is SFC Scannow?
SFC (System File Checker) is an inbuilt tool provided by the Microsoft Windows and located in C:\Windows\System32 folder. In Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 10, SFC is integrated with Windows Resources Protection (WRP). Usually, WRP is used to protect the registry keys and folders.
Using this tool you can scan or restore corrupted Windows system files. Its role is to scan the operating system thoroughly and look out for the corrupted, damaged, or missing files. But many a time the SFC scanning fails during the process and shows the error. There are two types of SFC errors reported by users and that are as under:
“Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation”.
“Windows resource protection could not start the repair service”.
The Windows Modules Installer service has full access to WRP files and registry keys. Once accessed Windows Resource Protection files you can modify WRP-protected resources. WMI (Windows Modules Installer) is also known as TrustedInstaller.exe is required to restore missing or corrupted WRP resources.
Why the error “SFC Scannow not Working” occurs?
- Not being able to access the files as they might be damaged, corrupted, or missing files.
- SFC is unable to access the winsxs folder.
- Damage on Hard Disk partition.
- The Operating system is carrying corrupted Windows files.
- The architectural pattern of the system could be wrong.
How to Fix “SFC Scannow not Working” Error?
As we have discussed that there are two cases of SFC Scannow Not Working issues. In this part we will discuss the steps to fix the WRP could not perform the requested operation. Keep reading!
[Fix]“Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation”
Devicetricks bring out the fixative solutions for SFC/Scannow “Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation”. Follow these steps one by one until your error has been resolved.
Run chkdsk Scan
- Search for Command Prompt in the Start menu and right-click to make it Run as Administrator.
- Type CHKDSK c: /R in the command prompt window and hit Enter to run the check disk utility.
- Once the check disk utility is done, type “Y” and hit Enter to run the process forward and schedule your checking disk period.
- Close the Command Prompt window and reboot the system. Once it restarts it will start the checking disk and will try to fix the error automatically.
- Once it is done run the sfc/scannow to check whether it runs swiftly or not.
Change/Modify the Security Descriptors
- Open Command Prompt by searching in the Start menu and run it as Administrator by right-clicking on it.
- Check the PendingDeletes and PendingRenames folder on your system.
- Now type sfc/scannow in the command prompt window and press Enter.
- Now Change the security description (There are chances that you may receive this error as this command cannot access the WinSxS folder. If this is the case then you need to change the security description of this folder manually).
- Open Run dialog box and type cmd to open the command prompt. Right-click on the command prompt to run as administrator.
- Type the username and password if asked.
- Now type ICACLS C:\\Windows\\winsxsand and press Enter.
- Reboot the system to save all the changes and fix the SFC Scannow not Working error.
Run the SFC Scan in Safe Mode
- To invoke the Run Program press Windows+R keys altogether and type msconfig in the search box and hit OK.
- Navigate to the Boot tab in the System Configuration window.
- Tick mark the box next to Safe Boot and click OK to proceed further.
- Hit the Restart button when asked by the system to apply the changes. This will make the system to run in Safe Mode.
- Restart your computer and run sfc/scannow to see whether the problem is resolved or not.
Run the DSIM commands
- Press Windows+X keys altogether and search for Command Prompt by typing in the search box. Right-click on it to run it as Administrator.
- Type the following command in command prompt window and hit Enter.
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
- Now type the following command in command prompt window and hit Enter.
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
- Type the following command in command prompt window and hit Enter.
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Wait until the DISM process finishes once it is finished restart the PC and run the sfc/scannow to check the error Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation has been solved or not.
Reinstall the System
- Visit the Microsoft page and search for the Media creation tool page to download the system. Click on the download tool button.
- Accept the terms and conditions and press Enter to agree with the license agreement.
- Set all the default setting that is “Upgrade your PC” and click Next to continue the process.
- Follow each and every instruction to finish the reinstallation process.
Run Windows Update troubleshooter
- Navigate the web page to the Windows support page and search for Windows Update troubleshooter in Windows 10.
- Select the suitable Windows Update Troubleshooter as per your Operating System to Download and continue the process.
- To successfully run the downloaded file, double-click on it.
- Follow each displayed instruction one by one and finish the process. Restart the PC to save the changes and once again run sfc/scannow.
Run % processor_architecture%
- In order to run the command prompt search, the option in the start menu and right-click on it to run it as Administrator.
- Once the window opens type echo %processor_architecture% and hit Enter.
- Following this, you will no the systems architecture which will give you a clear idea about running an SFC command on which type of machine a 32 -bit or 64-bit from which type of cmd.exe that is a 32-bit cmd.exe or 64-bit cmd.exe.
- If you found that the pairs are mismatched that an SFC scan command is run on a 64-bit machine from 32-bit cmd.exe, then, in this case, one has to do to a clean install of Windows again.
[Fix]“Windows Resource Protection could not Start the Repair Service”
If the Windows Modules Installer services are disabled on your computer then there are chances that you may face the error Windows Resource Protection could not Start the Repair Service. Try to Enable the Windows Modules Installer service to fix this error. Follow these steps to do so:
Enable Windows Modules Installer Service
- Press Windows+R keys to open the Run dialog box and type services.msc and hit Ok.
- From the results select Windows Modules Installer service and double-click on it.
- Windows Modules Installer Properties window will open. Now set Startup type as Manual, then click Apply and OK to confirm the changes.
- Close the services window.
- Go to the search box and type cmd in the search box and right-click Command Prompt to choose Run as administrator.
- Now type the following commands in the command window and press Enter after each command.
sc config trustedinstaller start= demand
net start trustedinstaller
- When the above process is completed, restart your computer and check for the error.
That’s all, these fixative methods might have solved your problem. Let us know in the comment section which method worked for you? If you have any idea or other method helpful in fixing this error then you can let us know in the comment section to add in this guide. Wanna some more DeviceTricks? If you feel this article helpful please like, share, and follow our Facebook page and keep visiting our website to get the latest updates on errors related to Windows, macOS, and Android.