You tried to sign into your Windows 10 computer, but there’s one problem. You’ve forgotten your login password. At this situation, you will be unable to access your computer. You might be searching for the solutions to log–in your system. Need not to panic. Here, we have gathered all the solutions that you can make a try to log–in Windows 10 password reset.
- 1 Windows 10 password reset: Solutions
- 1.1 1. Windows 10 password reset using security questions
- 1.1.1 2. Windows 10 Admin password reset using Microsoft Account
- 1.1.2 3. CREATE NEW USER ACCOUNT AND GET ACCESS TO THE OTHER ACCOUNT FILES
- 1.1.3 4. Windows 10 password reset by Creating Password Reset Disk
- 1.1.4 5. MSDART OR MDOP DART WINDOWS 10 PASSWORD RECOVERY TOOLSET
- 1.1.5 6. Windows 10 Password reset using PCUNLOCKER
- 1.1.6 7. LOG – IN WITH OTHER SIGN – IN OPTION
- 1.1 1. Windows 10 password reset using security questions
- 2 Factory Reset Windows 10 without password
Windows 10 password reset: Solutions
Windows 10 has long offered the ability to help you reset your password if you use a Microsoft Account. You can also reset it if you’re using a local account. With a local account, you just need to set up several security questions to answer in that case when you can’t remember your login. After you successfully answer them, you can easily reset your password and access your account.
1. Windows 10 password reset using security questions
The first solution is the standard password reset function available from Microsoft’s password reset. If you are using Windows 10 operating system with 1803 version and you must have added answers to the security questions at the time of creating your account.
- First, try to enter the password which you remember.
- You will get a message “The password is incorrect”. Click on OK button.
- Now, you can see the reset password and click on it which is present on the log–in the screen. You can see the below image for reference.
- Next, you will redirect into the next screen where security questions are present.
- Answer all the security questions present on the screen, after submitting Windows will verify with your answers. If both matches then you will be directed to the password reset screen (new password).
- Enter your new password and reconfirm your password. Now, click on the submit button.
- After completion of this process, the sign – in screen appears. You can sign – into your system with the use of your new password.
NOTE: If you don’t remember security questions answers and forgot your Windows 10 OS lock screen password. Then you can’t recover it by using security questions reset password Windows 10 but can go with the below alternative solutions. You are having another option of formatting your system which erases all of your data but tries this option at last after following all the below solutions. You can see the process of formatting your Windows 10 operating system. It will erase all your system data and can get access to your system is explained as the last solution.
2. Windows 10 Admin password reset using Microsoft Account
Windows 10 operating system password reset with the help of a Microsoft account. You can use this process either for any version of Windows 10. But it would be good to update your Windows 10 OS to Windows version 1803. You can see the version from opening settings > system > about. Next, scroll to find Windows specifications. If your system needs to update then go to update and security under settings. You will see an update “feature update to Windows 10, version 1803”, install it. If you don’t find the update, jump to Microsoft’s Windows 10 download page to manually download April 2018 update.
Follow below steps to reset your log – in password with the help of Microsoft account.
- You are on the log – in the screen of Windows 10. If you don’t remember your password, click on “I forgot my password.”
- On the next screen, you can see the Microsoft account id and you have to write the characters seen in the image. Click on the next button.
- The window shows the details of “How would you like to get your security code.” You can select email or text message option which is hidden under stars; you have to enter your email or mobile number linked with the Windows 10 OS Microsoft account in the box as shown in the figure. Tap on the send code button.
- You have to check your mobile or email for the code. Enter the code you have received in the required field.
- If the code sent to email and entered on the Windows 10 screen matches. You will redirect Window to enter a new password for your Windows log – in the screen. Tap on the next button.
- Finally, the screen shows password has been changed successfully. Click on next button.
- The next button redirects you to the log–in the screen. Enter your new password.
3. CREATE NEW USER ACCOUNT AND GET ACCESS TO THE OTHER ACCOUNT FILES
If the above solution doesn’t work, new user account creation allows you to regain access to your computer. Initially, start booting Windows 10 installation setup by changing the boot order in your BIOS take importance with the use of CD or use ISO as a startup disk.
- Once the setup starts, click shift + F10 at the same time. This option will pop–up to a command prompt Window.
- Using command prompt replace utility manager at the log – in screen with cmd.exe with the following commands.
Move d:\windows\system32\utilman.exe d:\windows\system32\utilman.exe.bak . Copy d:\windows\system32\cmd.exe d:\windows\system32\utilman.exe
- Once the above process completed, use the command “wpeutil reboot” to restart the machine.
- After entering the login screen, tap on the utility manager. If everything is right, you will get a Window of cmd.exe as shown in the below image.
- Here, it is the prompt Window used to create a new administrative user on the login screen.
Net user <username> / add click enter . Net localgroup administrators <username> / add click enter
- After successful completion of the above process, close the prompt Window and you will be able to see a new user on the login screen.
- You have successfully logged into the system, right click on the start menu on the left-hand side of the system. You will get a set of options and select computer management from the given options.
- Select “Local users and groups,” under them tap on users. There you will get all the usernames, scroll down to the affected account, and right-click on the account. Select the set password option to reset the password and regain access to your locked account.
- On the next window, click on proceed button.
- Enter your new password and reconfirm it. Click on the ok button.
- If the online recovery mode is not working, you still able to access files or folders that locked up in an account by going into c:\users and click on the associated folder.
Follow the below images to get access to the files or folders of locked up account.
4. Windows 10 password reset by Creating Password Reset Disk
Forgetting a password is one of the most irritating and frustrating things that happens to everyone. You can avoid this situation by creating a password reset disk.
Initially, we will know the process of how to create a password reset disk.
- Insert your SD card or CD or USB drive through their desired plugins of your PC.
- Now, click Windows symbol key + S from the keyboard to open the search bar.
- Type in “user accounts” on the search bar.
- Next click on user accounts available on the top of the Window.
- Click on create a password reset disk
- A pop–up Window opens and click on the next button.
- The window shows the location to create a password reset disk. If you want to change location then click on the drop-down menu and select the drive on which you want to create a password reset disk. Click on the next button present on the Window.
- Here, type your local account password. The password that is your current password to log into your account on your PC. Click on the next button.
- Click on the next button once the progress bar reaches 100 %.
- On the next Window, your creation of password reset disk and click on finish button.
Note: Never lose or misplace your USB drive or SD card or CD that containing your password reset disk. Because the person who contains the password reset disk will get easy access to your account.
How To Use It
If you have forgotten your password and your password hint also doesn’t help to remember the password. The password reset disk will help you out and will also saves your time.
- Initially, connect your SD card or USB drive, which contains your password reset disk connect to your PC.
- Click on the reset password button present on the screen.
- You will get a Window, click on the next button.
- Now, click on the drop-down menu, visible on the screen.
- Select the device on which your password is located on. After selecting the drive, click on the next button.
- Type your new password, on the prescribed box.
- Re-enter your new password in the given box.
- Type the new password hint in the given space.
- After all, filling the required fields. Click on the next button.
- Finally, click on the finish button.
The new password is reset into your local account. Now, you can log–in your local account with just created a new password.
** A password reset disk works only with a local account on your PC, not for Microsoft account. To reset Microsoft account there are other solutions this is only to reset local accounts of Windows 10.
5. MSDART OR MDOP DART WINDOWS 10 PASSWORD RECOVERY TOOLSET
MSDART stands for Microsoft Diagnosis And Recovery Toolset is the software assurance to reset the password of the Windows 10 operating system. Users of Windows 10 will generally set up the local user or administrator and they will configure the domain account. After configuring the domain account users will never log–in with a local account. But sometimes you need to log–in with local account due to some of the reasons. For Example Domain account password is expired and the user needs to log–on to the computer for accessing data. As you use the domain account and you are not able to remember long ago created a local account password.
- Get the latest version of diagnostics and recovery toolset. You can create recovery CD using ERD commander boot wizard-based upon WinPE or obtain the CD from the local IT.
- Boot your Windows 10 operating system using DART recovery CD. On the screen you will find a pop–up Window, select NO option as we don’t require NetStart Network Connectivity.
- Select the language comfortable to you. It shows US English as a default language. Click on NEXT button, after completion of appropriate language selection on the pop–up window.
- Select the operating system of which you have forgotten the password if you have more than two operating systems. Select one and click on next button.
- Once loaded the selected operating system, you can see many tools. Select the option of Microsoft diagnostics and recovery toolset.
- You can see all the option as shown on the image. Click on the locksmith local account, which will reset the password.
- The selection will launch the locksmith wizard with a pop–up Windows, click on the next button.
- Here, the pop–up Window will show up the options like account, new password and confirm the password. Select the account name and retype the password. Click on the next button.
- Finally, you will find a dialogue box which shows the completion of locksmith wizard. Click on the finish button to complete the process of resetting the password.
- Now, remove the DART CD and restart the machine. On the screen enter the recently changed password then you will find a message as shown in the below image. Click on the ok button.
- On the screen, you have to type the new password. After completing the filling the fields, click on the arrow button to reset the password.
- You will get a message of your password has been changed. Click on the ok button. Now you can log in with a recently changed password.
6. Windows 10 Password reset using PCUNLOCKER
PCUnlocker will help you to unlock any Windows computer that is locked due to a forgotten password. It is a bootable image that can be written to a CD or a USB pen drive using ISO2Disc freeware.
- After booting from PCUnlocker CD or USB, you can view all the accounts for Windows 10 installation.
- Select one of the local accounts and click on reset password button, the software will check for the status of your selected account.
The following are the tasks that the software will perform to reset your password problem:
- If your Windows account is password protected, the software will remove the password.
- Switches associated Microsoft account to local account.
- Promotes your select account standard / limited user to administrator.
- If the user account is disabled, this software helps you to activate the account.
- The software will help to unlock your locked account.
And many more options are available, helps you to reset your password in any of the forms.
**After resetting your Windows 10 password and login to your system. Now, you can make a new password with password hint to not forget for the next time. It is also good practice to create Windows 10 password reset disk. The password reset disk will help to reset your complicated password for security reason.
7. LOG – IN WITH OTHER SIGN – IN OPTION
If you have Windows 10 log – in options like pin or picture password or another administrative account. You have a good chance to open the command prompt and reset your Windows 10 password easily.
Press Windows logo key + x on the keyboard, you can get access to Windows quick access menu. Click on command prompt (Admin), type the following commands to reset your password.
net user account_name new_password click enter
You will get the result as the command completed successfully. Now, you can access your account with the new password.
Factory Reset Windows 10 without password
As you have tried all the options above and nothing works out to reset computer password Windows 10. Here is the solution which formats your system removing all your data, programs, and settings.
- Turn on your computer and on the lock screen you can see power symbol at bottom right corner.
- Click on the power button, you can see the options. Holding shift key select RESTART option.
- You will be redirected to the boot screen with menu options. Select the troubleshoot option.
- On the next screen, select reset this pc option.
- Click on remove everything option present on the screen.
- Now, your PC will restart and will reset itself.
NOTE: If you want to lock your system with a password. Go to settings and create remember able lock screen password to protect your pc from using others.
Are you still facing an issue to reset your Windows 10 operating system password? None of the password reset options worked out or facing any problem while processing any of the solutions? Mention your issue in the comment section, we will revert you with the solution for it. Other than the above solutions, if you have any more solutions to reset Windows 10, write to us in the comment section. Keep visiting our website for more tutorials.