Windows Explorer is the useful utility function required every now and then by the users but recently it has been reported that a serious error has been encountered while opening the Windows Explorer. You can get rid of this error through this guide. Follow this guide to fix ‘Windows 10 file explorer keeps crashing’ issue.
- 1 What is Windows File Explorer
- 1.1 How to Fix Windows 10 File Explorer Keeps Crashing
- 1.1.1 Resetting the Winsock and running the netsh
- 1.1.2 Acquiring full permission for accessing the folder
- 1.1.3 Changing the file explorer Windows Option setting
- 1.1.4 Changing the text size
- 1.1.5 Cleaning the File explorer history
- 1.1.6 Stop displaying recently used files and folders in Quick access window
- 1.1.7 Install the latest updates for Windows
- 1.1.8 Disabling preview pane and preview handlers
- 1.1.9 Altering the changes in File Explorer to open this PC
- 1.1.10 Graphics card driver needs to be reinstalled
- 1.1 How to Fix Windows 10 File Explorer Keeps Crashing
- 2 Conclusion
What is Windows File Explorer
File Explorer is a file management application used by Windows operating systems to browse folders and files. It provides a graphical interface for the user to navigate and access the files stored on the computer. The main way to access the Windows File Explorer is by clicking the folder icon in the Taskbar. After clicking on the icon, the File Explorer window will open.
How to Fix Windows 10 File Explorer Keeps Crashing
Does your Windows file explorer keep crashing when you right click on a file or folder? It’s a very annoying and frustrating thing if the Windows File Explorer keeps crashing when you search files. The error pop-up saying Windows Explorer crashing to fix this bug. But don’t worry. Devicetricks has come up with a tutorial where detailed solutions are explained step by step to fix the error. Follow this guide to fix ‘Windows 10 file explorer keeps crashing’ issue.
Resetting the Winsock and running the netsh
- Search for Command Prompt in the Start menu and right click to Run it as Administrator.
- In the Command prompt window type netsh winsock reset and hit Enter to run the command.
- Restart the system to save the changes and check the Windows Explorer.
Acquiring full permission for accessing the folder
- Select the folder you want to get full permission of and right-click the folder to select properties from the menu.
- Navigate to the Security section in the listed upper tab and click on Advanced button.
- Next, in the Advanced Security Settings window, click on Change to edit the name.
- Later eventually click on Advanced and simply add the user name in the “Enter the object name to select” field.
- On pressing the Advanced button a new window will pop-up in which click on the Find Now button and select the name from the list shown below and press OK to save the changes.
- To set full access to the file or the folder once again right-click on the folder and select properties. In the security tab Click on the Edit button to set the full access to file or folder.
- Tick mark the Full control box and save the changes by click on OK and Apply button.
- Performing these steps will give full permission to handle a file or a folder which will indirectly help in resolving the Windows 10 File Explorer crashes.
Changing the file explorer Windows Option setting
- Search for File Explorer Option in the start menu and select to open the window.
- Navigate to View tab in the index to change the settings.
- Click on the box next to “Launch folder windows in a separate process” and press OK to save the changes.
Changing the text size
- In order to open the Windows settings press Windows Key + I key simultaneously.
- Navigate to Systems category in the Windows settings window.
- In the system window, scroll down to Display settings under which select for Scale and layout column and set the text size value to 100% or more.
- Changing the text size will resolve the issue for Windows Explorer crashing.
Cleaning the File explorer history
- Open the File Explorer option by searching it in the Start menu and select to open it.
- In the general tab scroll down to the Privacy section and hit the clear button to clear the history.
- Once you have cleared the history it would have helped in solving the Windows Explorer crashes error.
Stop displaying recently used files and folders in Quick access window
- Once again open the File Explorer option as shown in the above steps and navigate to the privacy section in the General tab.
- Make sure the boxes next to Show recently used files Quick access and Show frequently used folders in quick access uncheck them. Press OK and Apply button to save the changes.
Install the latest updates for Windows
- In order to update the Windows, navigate to Windows setting by pressing Windows Key +I key altogether.
- Select the Update and security option and click on the Check for updates button.
Disabling preview pane and preview handlers
- A directory needs to be opened in File Explorer and navigate yourself to View tab in the above-shown bar and ensure that the preview pane option is not selected.
- Once again open the View tab and select the Options section.
- The folder options window will pop-up navigate to view tab. Uncheck the box next to Show preview handlers in the preview pane and press OK and Apply button to save the changes.
- Now after turning on these options, the Windows Explorer crashing problem should not occur.
Altering the changes in File Explorer to open this PC
- Open the File Explorer options as done in previous steps and set the Open file explorer to This PC and click OK and Apply button to save the changes.
Graphics card driver needs to be reinstalled
- Search for device manager in the Start menu and select to open the window.
- Locate the Graphics card you use it right-click on it and select Uninstall device option.
- Once the uninstallation is finished reinstall the driver automatically.
We hope this tutorial has helped in recovering the File explorer crashing error in Windows 10. If you like this tutorial please like, share and follow our Facebook page and do write your queries in our comment box below. To keep in touch with more such useful tutorials stay tuned to our website.