When you try to install any software on your system, you got an error message Unable to execute file in the temporary directory. Setup aborted Error 5: Access is denied? You will come up with this situation when you make modifications in the folder which you don’t have access to. You may also come up with sims 4 unable to execute the command because you are not having access to a particular temp folder.
Usually unable to execute the file in the temporary directory is a problem in which system will not be able to download or execute commands of software. In some cases Setup was unable to create the directory, this is also due to change in the settings and follow below solutions to fix it.
Causes of Unable to Execute File in the Temporary Directory
However, sometimes if your computer gets infected with severe cyber threat or potentially unwanted program you may face the issue. Those malicious software applications are specially designed to change your PC settings to hide their presence. Your system might damage if it’s infected with malware, ransomware, browser hijackers, spyware, adware, etc.
Unable to Execute File in the Temporary Directory: Solutions
The below-given solutions will definitely help you to fix Unable to execute file in the temporary directory issue. Finally, you have to get professional antivirus software. And scan your system thoroughly to remove harmful viruses from your system. If you are having any professional antivirus software immediately run the scan and remove the malicious software or files.
Run File as Administrator
Most of the people who have been struggling with the installation of software due to unable to execute file in the temporary directory has managed to fix it by simply running files as administrator.
- Right-click on the software installer file.
- You will get a list of options, choose run as administrator. Hopefully, this way will help to fix the issue and installs your software or application without any more issues.
Check the Security Settings
In some of the cases, this issue occurs due to security right follow below steps to fix it.
- Go to computer icon on your desktop or search on Windows logo search bar.
- Select Local disk c:, on the next select users and continue with your computer username folder. Next, select AppData and click on the local folder. The navigation location is local disk c:\ users\ [Select your username folder]\ AppData\ Local
- You can find folders, navigate to temp folder and right click on it to select properties from the list.
- On the pop-up window select the security tab and click on the advanced button as shown in the figure.
- Under permissions, you will see three options SYSTEM, Administrators, and your username with a full control which applies to this folder, subfolders, and files.
- You must see the up-tick option of all these permissions inherited from this object’s parent as shown in the figure. If you don’t find that option, then click on Change Permissions.
- On the next screen mark “Include inheritable permissions from this object’s parent” with a tick. Finally, click on the apply button and later click on ok button.
- After that close all windows and restart your computer. Now, try to do the same function that caused the error and see whether the issue is fixed or not. If the issue still persists continue with below solutions.
Create Temp Folder
- Open computer icon and click on local disk c:
- Create a new folder on right-click on empty space select new > folder and rename with name temp.
- Close all windows and go to the computer icon. Right-click on it and select properties.
- Click on Advanced system settings option on the left panel.
- On the pop-up window, click on the advanced tab and select Environment variables.
- As shown in the figure, double-click on the TMP option.
- Now change the value %USERPROFILE%\ AppData\ Local\ Temp to C:\Temp and click on ok button.
- Now, click on ok and ok buttons to close all the pop-up windows.
Finally, restart your computer and again perform the same real-time function that causing the error. Hopefully, this solution will fix the issue unable to execute file in the temporary directory or Setup was unable to create the directory.
Disable Firewall and Antivirus
The issue unable to execute file in the temporary directory may occur due to HIPS. The HIPS full-form is Host-based Intrusion Prevention System. You can fix the issue on disabling antivirus, anti-spyware, and firewall applications.
- Click on Windows logo and click on the control panel for Windows 7, Vista, XP or settings on Windows 10, 8.
- Select System and security option on the window.
- On the next screen, click on the windows firewall on the right panel.
- For the different operating system, options are different for easy to search for windows firewall on the search bar. Look at the image for a clear idea.
- You can see turn Windows firewall on or off on the left panel, click on it.
- Select turn of Windows firewall on both the options and finally, click on ok button.
- Now close all the windows and try to do the same real-time function that caused the error. Hope that this solution help to fix the issue unable to execute file in the temporary directory.
- Disabling antivirus will depend on which antivirus you are using. In some of the antivirus, right-click on the antivirus icon and you can see snooze, disable options.
- Firstly, open antivirus, go to settings and select the disable option.
NOTE: After completion of your work enable your antivirus and firewall settings because it will help to protect your computer from foreign invaders (virus, malware, adware, etc).
The above ways helped you to fix unable to execute file in the temporary directory issue. Still, are you facing any issue or having any queries regarding the problem? You can explain in detail in the comments section, which helps us to give the best solution. Any suggestions or queries regarding any other problems facing with your devices are always welcome.