When you try to install any software on your system, you got an error message “Unable to execute the file in the temporary directory. Setup aborted Error 5: Access is denied”? You will come up with this situation when you make modifications in the folder which you don’t have access to. You may also come up with sims 4 unable to execute the command because you are not having access to a particular temp folder.
Usually unable to execute the file in the temporary directory is a problem in which the system will not be able to download or execute commands of the software. Many users reported the following error message display on their computer screen:
Unable to execute the file in the temporary directory. Setup aborted Error 5: Access is denied.
In some cases, Setup was unable to create the directory, this is also due to change in the settings and follow below solutions to fix it.
What does “Unable to execute the file in the temporary directory. Setup aborted Error 5: Access is denied” mean?
Setup aborted error 5 is the error encountered in the Windows operating system when any user trying to do some modification in the folder even he/she is not allowed to do so. This means the user is not having any access to that folder to modify. The reasons for this error are not limited only to the user’s permission as some users also faced this error due to the corrupted Temp folder of Windows. If you close the pop-up then also the error won’t allow you to install the executable file.
Why “Unable to execute the file in the temporary directory. Setup aborted Error 5: Access is denied” Occurs?
However, sometimes if your computer gets infected with severe cyber threats or potentially unwanted program you may face the issue “Unable to execute the file in the temporary directory. Setup aborted Error 5: Access is denied”. Those malicious software applications are specially designed to change your PC settings to hide their presence. Your system might damage if it’s infected with malware, ransomware, browser hijackers, spyware, adware, etc.
How to Fix “Unable to Execute Files in the Temporary Directory. Setup Aborted. Error 5: Access is Denied” issue on Windows OS?
The below-given solutions will definitely help you to fix “Unable to execute file in the temporary directory issue. Setup Aborted. Error 5: Access is Denied“. Finally, you have to get professional antivirus software. And scan your system thoroughly to remove harmful viruses from your system. If you are having any professional antivirus software immediately run the scan and remove the malicious software or files.
Run File as Administrator
Most of the people who have been struggling with the installation of software due to unable to execute file in the temporary directory has managed to fix it by simply running files as administrator.
- Right–click on the software installer file.
- You will get a list of options, choose run as administrator. Hopefully, this way will help to fix the issue and install your software or application without any more issues.
Check the Security Settings
In some of the cases, the issue “Unable to execute the file in the temporary directory. Setup aborted Error 5: Access is denied” occurs due to security right follow below steps to fix it.
- Go to Computer Icon on your desktop or search on Windows logo search bar.
- And then select Local Disk C. On the next screen, select users and continue with your computer username folder. Next, select AppData and click on the local folder. The navigation location is local disk c:\ users\ [Select your username folder]\ AppData\ Local
- You can find folders, navigate to temp folder and right-click on it to select properties from the list.
- On the pop-up window select the Security tab and click on the advanced button as shown in the figure.
- Under permissions, you will see three options SYSTEM, Administrators, and your username with a full control which applies to this folder, subfolders, and files.
- You must see the up-tick option of all these permissions inherited from this object’s parent as shown in the figure. If you don’t find that option, then click on Change Permissions.
- On the next screen mark “Include inheritable permissions from this object’s parent” with a tick. Finally, click on the apply button and later click on the Ok button.
- After that close all windows and restart your computer. Now, try to do the same function that caused the error and see whether the issue is fixed or not. If the issue still persists continue with the below solutions.
Create a New Temp Folder
- Open the computer icon and click on Local Disk C.
- Create a new folder on right-click on empty space select new > folder and rename with name temp.
- Close all windows and go to the computer icon. Right-click on it and select properties.
- Click on Advanced system settings option on the left panel.
- On the pop-up window, click on the advanced tab and select Environment variables.
- As shown in the figure, double–click on the TMP option.
- Now change the value %USERPROFILE%\ AppData\ Local\ Temp to C:\Temp and click on ok button.
- Now, click on ok buttons to close all the pop-up windows.
Finally, restart your computer and again perform the same real-time function that causing the error. Hopefully, this solution will fix the issue “Unable to execute the file in the temporary directory. Setup aborted Error 5: Access is denied”.
The issue “Unable to execute the file in the temporary directory. Setup aborted Error 5: Access is denied” may occur due to HIPS. The HIPS full-form is a Host-based Intrusion Prevention System. You can fix the issue on disabling antivirus, anti-spyware, and firewall applications.
- Click on Windows logo and click on the Control Panel for Windows 7, Vista, XP or settings on Windows 10 and Windows 8.
- Select System and Security option on the window.
- On the next screen, click on the Windows firewall on the right panel.
- For the different operating system, options are different. Search for Windows firewall in the search bar. Look at the image for a clear idea.
- You can see turn Windows firewall on or off on the left panel, click on it.
- Select ‘turn of Windows firewall’ on both the options and finally, click on the OK button.
- Now close all the windows and try to do the same real-time function that caused the error. Hope that this solution help to fix the issue “Unable to execute the file in the temporary directory. Setup aborted Error 5: Access is denied”.
- Disabling antivirus will depend on which antivirus you are using. In some of the antivirus, right-click on the antivirus icon and you can see snooze, disable options.
- Firstly, open antivirus, go to settings and select the disable option.
NOTE: After completion of your work enable your antivirus and firewall settings because it will help to protect your computer from foreign invaders (virus, malware, adware, etc).
The above ways helped you to fix the issue “Unable to execute the file in the temporary directory. Setup aborted Error 5: Access is denied”. Still, are you facing any issue or having any queries regarding the problem? You can explain in detail in the comments section, which helps us to give the best solution. Any suggestions or queries regarding any other problems facing your devices are always welcome.
If you feel this article helpful please like, share and follow our Facebook page.
Also Read: How to fix The system cannot find the file specified?
Leave a Reply